The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM Workers go out on Strike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
So, in the case of auto manufacturing plants, do they not even bother hiring scabs or what? They just totally shut down in the event of a strike?
IF you want some good reading Google [ Ford Windsor Strike 1945 ]
Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by hvrod
Well
They can get all them managers to start running the line...
No kidding I have to get the Union to stop them doing are jobs when were short on parts.Funny thing when where out of the plant they don`t make them do a thing.Every thing is just the way it was when we left.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:15 AM

I've never been in a situation to strike..
(plus I've only spent a small time as a union member too in the past)
Old 09-25-2007, 10:35 AM

Oh... I guess it is different from the mines. I used to live in West Virginia (a lot of coal mining) and a few of my uncles and cousins were in Unions there. They went on strike, and they were gettin' really angry because the company hired scabs. So yea.. The little bit of useful information I caught from them in between all the cussing at the company is about all I know of Unions
Old 09-25-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
IF you want some good reading Google [ Ford Windsor Strike 1945 ]
That would have been something to witness!

The "push"-of-war between the strikers and police would have been awesome to watch or even be in!

It always amazes me when people gather in these numbers to fight for a cause. The togetherness really is awe-inspiring, and a lot of us could take notes.

Thanks for the recommendation. I probably would have never read or heard about this otherwise!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 AM

This sucks I just found out that these A holes on strike are costing me money by not shipping parts I need to fix my customers vehicles. What a bunch of whiners. This whole thing makes no sense, if these are the kind of people that worked for me and I were GM it would be great incentive to move every damn position in the company to a different country. They are only making things worse for themselves. Way to think things through UAW!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by GuitHHR
This sucks I just found out that these A holes on strike are costing me money by not shipping parts I need to fix my customers vehicles. What a bunch of whiners. This whole thing makes no sense, if these are the kind of people that worked for me and I were GM it would be great incentive to move every damn position in the company to a different country. They are only making things worse for themselves. Way to think things through UAW!
Special order parts or collison parts ?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by GuitHHR
YEAH lets send all the US jobs overseas!!! Screw the American worker!!! And when no one can afford a car, You'll be out of a job too and Good on ya for being inciteful enough to think it through!!!!!!! YAY YOU!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Banned

Just look at Toyota workers in the US. They have benefits and a decent wage. They have turned down the UAW a number of times. Apparently the UAW cannot offer anything more then they alredy have that would make it worth it.

BTW they are making more then $200 a week as I write this.
I keep reading of profits going to Japan. Thats right but much of that REINVESTED in the US.

Design issues are the fault of GM and their low bid suppliers. When the Japanese order a part from a supplier they demand it lasy x amount of years and will pay more for the part. This has gone all the way back to when they first exported cars to the US. If GM or Ford can save a dime on a door handle they will use the less expensive one.

Match the Vegas against the then Honda Civics, Its very clear to see. That is not the Worker's fault. It's GM brass believe Americans "won't ever buy Japanese cars enmass" Arrogant thinking. While the JApanese slowly captured the market.

I had a Toyota truck with 95,000 that blew a head gasket. I took it to Toyota to have it fixed at my cost. They replaced both head gaskets free because they claimed there was inferior material used between certain years. I was not even the original owner! This is a great example of why Toyota does so well. They will spend money to keep their reputation.

Their workers know they won't be laid off and don't want some union rep negotiating for them or protecting the bad workers from being fired.

Screw the UAW. GM should go bankrupt and reorg like Delta Airlines. I blame the UAW for GM's resistance to use reliable parts and cut corners.

Really is it too much to ask for a machined tapped door lock shaft?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by hvrod
Well
They can get all them managers to start running the line...
Didn't firestone try that... and we got.... Ohh yeah explorers that were prone to tire blow out and rollover due to faulty tire construction..... Hummm maybee there is something to this trained and qualified employee thing afterall...

Quick Reply: GM Workers go out on Strike...