The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Granite Confirmed approved for 2013-14

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM

They are called suicide doors because if you open them at speed they will fly right off! And in the old days before seat belts, you were likely to follow! So they apply to any doors that open "wrong." Except for the danger of opening them at speed, it makes a lot more sense ergonomically to have the doors open this way.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
They are called suicide doors because if you open them at speed they will fly right off! And in the old days before seat belts, you were likely to follow! So they apply to any doors that open "wrong." Except for the danger of opening them at speed, it makes a lot more sense ergonomically to have the doors open this way.
Now see they were suicide doors here because of the old game of going from the front seat to the rear seat with the car moving. Or that is how it is told in this part of the country.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:27 PM

FUGLY!
No real storage, no stick shift. And really, really ugly car. Wonder how the dumbed down production version will fare?

JIm
Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jeda13
FUGLY!
No real storage, no stick shift. And really, really ugly car. Wonder how the dumbed down production version will fare?

JIm
Will have to see. Odds are there will be more storage than the HHR and it will come with a stick option. As for the styling like it or not it will change little based on the work GM has done on the latest cars. We will know in about a year and a half.

Note two Chevy will get something based on this and right now they are thinking of making it more Juke like [not styling wise thank God]. the Chevy and GMC lines will remain on similar platforms but they will look more different and offer different options.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Now see they were suicide doors here because of the old game of going from the front seat to the rear seat with the car moving. Or that is how it is told in this part of the country.
I've heard that story a few times too (not around here), But here's the definition from the urban dictionary:
Automotive doors that hinge from the rear edge of the door instead of the leading edge. They acquired the "suicide" nickname due to the fact that if the door was not fully closed and the occupant tried to open and reclose the door while the car was moving (which for some reason was once common practice), the rushing air would catch the door and pull it open violently, often pulling the person still holding the door handle out of the car.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:55 PM

The Diesel there using in the Cruze would be pretty sweet!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by LSchicago
I've heard that story a few times too (not around here), But here's the definition from the urban dictionary:
Automotive doors that hinge from the rear edge of the door instead of the leading edge. They acquired the "suicide" nickname due to the fact that if the door was not fully closed and the occupant tried to open and reclose the door while the car was moving (which for some reason was once common practice), the rushing air would catch the door and pull it open violently, often pulling the person still holding the door handle out of the car.
I have heard this one too. There also is one about cars like the 30's Ford Coupes that people would be getting out of them and the car would jump in gear or the brake would release and the door would drag them down and under the car.

The fact is this term has taken on sever meaning depending on the decade or generation that it was used with. The one I often recall is the one from the 60's since it was the one most used and remembered as I grew up.

The definition that is correct is the one you grew up with.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
The Diesel there using in the Cruze would be pretty sweet!
I think it could stand a good chance of having it since the Cruze will get it here soon. If they have the engine in the market I see it being used in several lines to keep the volume up.

GM just will have to do a hell of a marketing job to sell Diesel cars here. there is a small segment of people who really understand them and with the price of Diesel being up it keeps many from trying them.

I expect GM will post 50+ MPG in the Cruze and really drive home how many mile per tank you will see. VW is also going to move back to promoting Diesels too. Who knows people may understand the miles and torque these things have.

Too many people understand HP but few understand Torque.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
My S10 Pickup has one on the driver's side rear. You have to open the front driver's door before opening the rear suicide door. I'd have to think in this day and age of the almighty lawsuit, GM has already thought of that and will probably have a similar safety feature.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:12 AM

Hummm,…looks like a stretched smart car to me.

Quick Reply: Granite Confirmed approved for 2013-14