The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Granite Confirmed approved for 2013-14

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by prod
So what platform is this built on? I thought it was smaller than the cruze/orlando, meaning the aveo?
It is on the Delta II that underpins the Cruze.

The show vehicle is much longer and wider than it looks in photo's. It also is still pretty low but still taller than a Cruze.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:39 AM

I would consider it if it came in AWD. And would pay a premium for it. But that's just my personal situation.

My HHR sits in the barn when it snows, because anything with 2WD, ft or rr would not make it up to my home with the hills and switchback that I need to endure. I currently use an S10 4x4 with a LSD rear instead of my HHR when the white stuff is covering my road.

I'll be looking for a car (or similar) to replace my wife's '00 Olds Bravada in 2012. The Granite might have been a candidate if it came in 4WD or AWD. I'll never sell my HHR SS (my son will own it someday), but unfortunately, the current GM lineup is slim picking for smaller vehicles with AWD. We'll have to see what they come up with.

(AWD or 4WD is a necessity for me; especially when snow turns icy; the SS sits in the barn when it snows)
Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 AM

^^ my thought. Not because of the white stuff, just because I despise FWD. If this car came in RWD or AWD, I will be all over it.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

87silver it looks like your place gives credence to livingout in the sticks looks beautiful out there must be nice once you get there!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 87silver
I would consider it if it came in AWD. And would pay a premium for it. But that's just my personal situation.

My HHR sits in the barn when it snows, because anything with 2WD, ft or rr would not make it up to my home with the hills and switchback that I need to endure. I currently use an S10 4x4 with a LSD rear instead of my HHR when the white stuff is covering my road.

I'll be looking for a car (or similar) to replace my wife's '00 Olds Bravada in 2012. The Granite might have been a candidate if it came in 4WD or AWD. I'll never sell my HHR SS (my son will own it someday), but unfortunately, the current GM lineup is slim picking for smaller vehicles with AWD. We'll have to see what they come up with.

(AWD or 4WD is a necessity for me; especially when snow turns icy; the SS sits in the barn when it snows)
You are the acception to the rule.

The problem is for what the Granite would cost few very few people would pay over $30,000-35,000.

The cost of the AWD system would put the price right on the Terrain that already has AWD as an option.

When looking at this vehicle we have to remember this is a Delta II that is the replacment for the Cobalt and HHR. It is the same platform that underpins the Cruze. So this gives us an idea of price and the fact AWD was never engineered for this plaform. So I would not expect it to even be considered.

For what it is worth I wish my road looked that good. I have had 18" of snow this week and they have yet to plow it. But we still manage to get up the hill. The SS included.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Bummer. Maybe it was my selective reading, but I didn't recall what platform it was on. FWD bums me out.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1970judge
Bummer. Maybe it was my selective reading, but I didn't recall what platform it was on. FWD bums me out.
The only RWD platform other than trucks GM has planned is the new Alpha. It will provide the new Camaro, CTS Cadillac, ATS Cadillac and a Chevy sport sedan. We may see a few other future models on it. We should also see a updated Zeta Chevy sedan soon. Not the LWB Police one but a smaller SWB G8 like sports sedan for Chevy based on the Zeta update.

The Granite is a vehicle the size of a Cruze only boxyer. To make it RWD would take up a lot of interior room in a small platform. You would have to make space for the Transmission, Driveshaft, rear end and then find a space to put the fuel tank as the driveshaft would be in the way now.

When you can replace all these parts with only a transaxle it frees up more room inside and a lot of weight. With the new CAFE rules coming in 2015 a lot has got to change fast. The best way to get more MPG is remove weight and that is what most will do till technology can catch up. They did this before in the 80's and will have to do it again due to the goverment reqs.

I too like RWD but to be honest My SS has shown me a well designed and tuned FWD can still be a joy to drive. GM has a new Smart Strut called a Hyperstrut that will negate all the torque steer. The Buick was the first to get it and most other models will follow.

I rmember once they said you could not get that much power out of a FWD but today we are driving HHR's with near 300 HP that handle it well. We will be ok in the future but we all need to be a little more open minded. What was once true in the past does not always hold true for today.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:04 PM

I absolutely don't see one of those in my future...looks like just another bizarre looking box on wheels to me. Maybe it's an age thing.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by RoadDawg831
I absolutely don't see one of those in my future...looks like just another bizarre looking box on wheels to me. Maybe it's an age thing.
It is as I mostly see older people driving the boxes on the road now. Note I was not too sure of it till I saw it in person. The size is much more than you expect.

I don't know if this will make production but here is another twist on the same vehicle.

Here is a look at the expandable bed it could have. The bed would move from 4' to almost 7'. Note too the sliding side doors on the bed and flip up rack.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 AM

My HHR is going to be five years old this month. I'm reseaching for its replacement in a year or two. I'm not finding much in the GM line that meets the HHRs versatility. The Granite looks interesting. It just has to be priced right.

Quick Reply: Granite Confirmed approved for 2013-14