The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Growing up without a cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Haunted_Hot_Rod
chopped front fork extended by cutting one off a junker bike and welding them together.

You welded them on? We just slid them on and hammered them down real good.....
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
" chopped front fork extended by cutting one off a junker bike and welding them together."

Elitist! You had a welder.... We used to have to deal with the fact that any wheelie we pulled could be our last when the extended forks came apart... Some of us lost front teeth over this.
Been a while since I fell out of my chair, thanks Greybeard, I needed a good laugh today!

I suppose borrowing my Grandpa's drill and some pop rivets to keep the extended forks together makes me a member of the Bourgeoisie.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM

Well if you have access to the shop after school... put it to use

My brother broke is arm jumping a metal ramp at the end of a drainage cuvert... twice.. same ramp...same bike... hit the same concrete slag pile after landing badly doing a header over the handlebars both times.

Thing is he wanted to go back and try it again... still wearing the cast.

Fun times. Underground forts, tree swings out into the lake.

Rules:
Homework first, chores second, be in the yard when the streetlights came on.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Deceased

I always loved the "Shop Safety" lecture given by our teacher who was missing two fingers, he was a prime example of "do as I say, not as I do".

Something tells me that 6th graders these days don't learn how to stick weld, heck are there still shop classes?

Heaven forbid if Billy gets a small burn or a splinter!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 AM

I was wiring a 220 circuit in electrical shop.. had red tagged the breaker panel... just as I was making the last connection I hear "CLUNK" I knew I was about to get zapped... was knocked half way across the shop.... Did I go to the hospital?... no... did the school get sued... no ... the other kid did get the tar beat out of him though.

I didn't even have time to look up at the panel... CLUNK. POW
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Deceased

Didn't have a "Tag Out-Lock Out" ignored by a classmate, but I did find out what happens when the high voltage transformer in a Heathkit console TV "bites" you. Maybe that's where my fascination with flight began, because that sucker shot me across the room like a bullet.

No school nurse, no lawsuit, no paramedics, just a shop teacher looking down at my smoking form on the floor saying "well dumb-ass, that's one way to learn about high voltage".
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM

Been there done that too. I can feel that phantom numbness in my arm now too just thinking about it.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Deceased

Yup me too, ever "find" a bad plug wire with a high voltage leak the hard way? Once you've stopped hopping up and down, its hard to convince your buddies that you "meant to do that".

Here's a question, when did you first start to regularly use the seat-belts in a car, instead of just ignoring them and thinking they were for wimps?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 AM

When I was a tech. rep. in Hawaiito the Air Force at the transmitter site, this was part of the Global Comm. site put 2 locks on a transformer switch a young airman cut the locks off and blew out a portion of the antenna farm.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Here's a question, when did you first start to regularly use the seat-belts in a car, instead of just ignoring them and thinking they were for wimps?
Easy answer. When I joined the AF. I drove from middle GA to Spokane Washington. Pulled up to the gate, saw the seatbelt sign and put it on. Then though, I just drove across the country and now I put my seatbelt on....

Quick Reply: Growing up without a cell phone