The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Growing up without a cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 PM

1976 (First DL)
Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Here's a question, when did you first start to regularly use the seat-belts in a car, instead of just ignoring them and thinking they were for wimps?
1965.... Dad bought a '64 Biscayne, his first car with lap belts... I wanted to be a "race car driver" at the time and they all wore them so I did too.... I've worn them since. I catch myself putting them on to back out of the garage and park it in the driveway... Habits are hard to break.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:39 PM

I'm 24 years old. I completely understand what you are saying but times change and as technology gets better, convenience is part of the deal... you said it yourself
"When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking twenty-five miles to school every morning....Uphill... Barefoot...BOTH ways...yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up, there was no way in hell I was going to lay a bunch of crap like that on my kids about how hard I had it and how easy they've got it!
"
I am saying that when you were young you got used to the easiest way of doing things, because it was more convenient than what the previous generation.... for example, my grandparents are still writing checks for everything, and pay the utility bills at the grocery store. my generation says "why?" when you can do it online. you can do ALL of your christmas shopping, naked on your couch, and have it shipped to your front door. the internet has completely changed the world and how people do things. I wouldn't be chatting with HHR owners aroud the world without it. when I get older, I'm sure there will be an easier way to do a lot of things and I will be doing them the way I learned....Just the way the world turns. I love how the new Chevys can be remote started from a cell phone, speaking of convenience
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 PM

Granted im only at the ripe old age of 22 I figured id chime in. Not a doubt that todays times are more convienent then the earlier times. But a lot of younger people are spoiled by this ease of doing everything. It makes for a gimmie gimmie attitude and then they dont want to work for anything. I myself got that attitude knocked out of me when my parents sent me to a program in Jamaica. Anyway being as young as I am, im almost old fashioned. My personal opinion being that the older generations are more appreciative of what they have.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM

Thanks everyone for making my post Viral... Keep the good comments coming in....LOL
Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

lady3bglover-
Excellent thread..
Yes I'm a fair bit over 36 as well.

So many of these hit home.. But this one really brings back memories..

"10) You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on! You were screwed when it came to channel surfing! You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the channel!!! NO REMOTES!!! Oh, no, what's the world coming to?!?!"

When I was a kid, I was the REMOTE, Dad would bark, go change that channel...go get this etc, etc..

PS: Yep, I also hammered on some longer tubes to 'chop' my 20" bicycle..

Even swapped the pedal sprocket to a larger one off a 26" bike, & lengthened the chain for better acceleration..
Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 AM

my father and grandfather(rip) always tell stories about how they were the popular place to be because they had a microwave oven in the late 50s. it was like magic heating up a hotdog in a minute. it wasnt meant for food my gp was in the high voltage connector business and the oven was used for heating thermoform plastics. gp always said prolly wasnt the best idea to be using it outside a faraday as they werent sheilded like they are now. (someone smell something burning)
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 AM

And of course, there are those of us who had to watch TV in black and white! And with a single cheesy speaker to boot! Those who could afford a 25" console set had the "large screens".

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
I'm 24 years old. I completely understand what you are saying but times change and as technology gets better, convenience is part of the deal... you said it yourself
I think you kind of are missing the point. Its not a bashing of youth and convenience as much as its a humorous, and nostalgic look back on what "was". Those of use who are a "little" older see a lot of humor in these types of threads, and yet lots of people your parent's age and older have fully embraced technology and convenience. Unless you've lived it, its a bit harder to fully understand. In 15 - 20 years, you'll be looking making the same types of comments.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM

I remeber the first TV had a maginifer glass in front and the only program was Wrestling.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 AM

Not a doubt that ill look back later on and laugh about how I had to do things. I mean back like 5-6 years ago I had a flip phone, no internet, no texting, now just five years later I can almost live off the phone. My dad has told me back when he started driving, just to have A/C was a luxury. Now there are cars that park themselves. Its amazing how fast things change.

Quick Reply: Growing up without a cell phone