The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Are You, Did YOU, serve
YES
63.49%
NO
23.81%
NO, but I would`ve IF.....
12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Have YOU, Are YOU, Served (ing) in military

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Snoopy
CH....While I agree with a lot of the content of your post, the strongest agreement is the comment regarding NATO and the UN. I agree....because, IMO, it would have been the best thing for the U.S. The UN and NATO stink and are largely, inaffective without the U.S.
That's probably why our actions were overlooked.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:02 PM

I haven't served and honestly, if given a chance I wouldn't.

I am though extremely grateful for those who have served, by choice or not, past and future.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:32 PM

Haven't served but tried. Enlisted in the marines in h.s., tried to hide some problems with my hip. Made it through testing, except the duck walk... after having some difficulty and loud pops coming from my hip, they xrayed me and i washed out. I do have lots of friends and relatives in the service tho.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:00 PM

I haven't served, but come from a family that is very dedicated to the military. Both grandfathers served in the Army. WWII for one, and Korea the other. One of my younger brothers is a highly decorated Marine and now is a drill instructor at Parris Island. I have two cousins and a brother in law also who are (former) Marines.

I appreciate all they do, and understand that it takes a certain personality to serve in the military. Unfortunately, I know my personality wouldn't fit in the military lifestyle. I did think about it for a long time just for the educational benefits alone, but in the end it wasn't for me.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Served 20 years in the Marine Corps, 1983 in Lebanon, 1991 Desert Storm/Desert Sheild, 1992 - 2000 getting screwed every year around the holidays because Saddam Hussein rattled his sabre, and put us on ALERT, or had the misfortune of telling some young Marine, he couldnt go home for the holidays because he was on ALERT or about to go to the Middle East, SO, I'm glad he will get whatever comes to him. and yes I think he should be hung... according to IRAQI Law.... they should televise it like they did the beheadings....
Old 11-06-2006, 04:13 PM

desert shield/storm vet, saw things that are like yesterday in my mind. no regrets, proud to have served. As I have said previously on this site, if we had finished it right the first time my son-in-law would not be getting ready for his third trip this jan/07.....
Old 11-06-2006, 04:30 PM

PROUDLY SERVER IN THE ARMY 1969-1971 and would go back if I was not too old and ugly.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:22 PM

I too am serving, Currently have 10 years in the Air Force, and getting ready to reup at the end of the month. I have seen a lot of the stuff that goes on in Iraq and I have talked with some of the people that live there and let me tell you they are happy that we are there supporting them. I come from a military family and I have been around the military my entire life and I can't see me doing anything else.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:41 PM

Spent 20 very good years serving my country in the Naval Submarine Service and would do it over in a hearbeat !
Old 11-06-2006, 05:54 PM

Thanx guys/gals for your heart filled responses thus far.
I only started this thread so you men and women who have served can chime in.
Now I know a lot of things go on in the military, it`s not the boy scouts, But what our guys/gals do to others today, is what others will do to our children/grandchildren. The examples we set today, are the standards of the future...
If we condone torture, (of any kind, mental/physical ) thats what our future will be.
Saddam was/is a bad guy, but who propped this guy up, the U.S..
I`m trying to leave something for my grandchildren, I`ve got (2) draft age sons, I don`t want them tortured or worse, because of the callous actions of a few bad apples...
We don`t televise executions here, no matter what the person did, this one is no different. Seems like a lust for blood, anyones blood..

Quick Reply: Have YOU, Are YOU, Served (ing) in military