The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Are You, Did YOU, serve
YES
63.49%
NO
23.81%
NO, but I would`ve IF.....
12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Have YOU, Are YOU, Served (ing) in military

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Thanx guys/gals for your heart filled responses thus far.
I only started this thread so you men and women who have served can chime in.
Now I know a lot of things go on in the military, it`s not the boy scouts, But what our guys/gals do to others today, is what others will do to our children/grandchildren. The examples we set today, are the standards of the future...
If we condone torture, (of any kind, mental/physical ) thats what our future will be.
Saddam was/is a bad guy, but who propped this guy up, the U.S..
I`m trying to leave something for my grandchildren, I`ve got (2) draft age sons, I don`t want them tortured or worse, because of the callous actions of a few bad apples...
We don`t televise executions here, no matter what the person did, this one is no different. Seems like a lust for blood, anyones blood..
Amen B/B!
Old 11-06-2006, 06:27 PM

Congrats to those who severed to fight for freedom for our beloved Country. My brights slute you. You guys are my heros
Old 11-06-2006, 06:42 PM

Jan. '07 will be my sixth anniversary of serving with the Army. This past year I signed up for another 6 years, that will put me over the 1/2 mark to retirement so it looks like I'm in for the long haul. Since I'm stationed at the home of the Airborne - Ft. Bragg, I'm sure my third tour overseas is just around the corner.

OIF I / II APR 03 - APR 04
OIF II / III NOV 04 - AUG 05

Nick

PS - A little more bragging about myself, today I just logged my 22nd airborne operation.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Founding Member

Here is another thread of similar topic but without a poll.

When I Was In the Military, I Remember When...
Old 11-06-2006, 07:23 PM

Army 69-71
Old 11-06-2006, 07:34 PM

currently serving in the air force, i'm a jet engine mechanic. have 1.5 yrs on a 6 year enlistment. not sure if i will stay active duty or not, its fun, but who knows. I will for sure go air guards if i do get off of active duty.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:25 PM

3-1/2 years in US Army. 1971-1975. Ft.Jackson, Ft. Eustis, Finthen AAF Germany 2 years, Ft. Carson, Co. Was in Germany during the 72 Olympics hostage situation, and also missed going to Viet Nam by a class. Was trained on CH-47(chinook) Helicopters, was sent to Germany , was in a CH-54(Skycrane) Unit the 295th Avn Co. and assigned to the motor pool. Was excess, so had a choice to make, Mess hall, Guard gate or Motor Pool was a clerk there. Then went back to Helicopters in Colorado. Not enough reenlistment bonus, Viet Nam over so got out.
The folks today are on our minds everyday serving for us, great job guys, we support our troops ever so much, yet I'm beginning to feel we need to be out of Iraq and the middle east, period. History does repeat itself. I too have 2 sons coming up,12 and 15, and don't want to see them go through the stuff a war reaps. That's why our fathers and some of us served was in order to make the World safe for them.
As for the fate of Saddam, well, what do we think about the Nuremburg trials, and the otrosities of that war? Saddam was tried by his own peers. Whatever will be, will be. And no, I don't believe the United States should condone torture, I'd hope we are above such outlandish actions, and don't have the need to resort to such attrosities, but these actions do show us what war does to the minds of our young.
Oh yes, I would serve again, I love this country.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:53 AM

I violated my own rule of not discussing politics and religion. I got rialed up by a person who has only 2 posts (the other bashing the HHR). I don't know anyone personnally on this board, but still do not want to be thought of as the person who condones torture or doesn't value other humans lives. I too serve in the military with the hopes that my children (14 and 7) won't have to go to war. I think my biggest fear/frustration is how the news continues to concentrate on the bad and that the lives of 3000 service members and sacrifices of many more is being overshadowed by the extremely bad (for lack of a better phrase) choices of a few (politicians included). I guess the old adage of 'it only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch' couldn't be closer to the truth. Bottom line is that I have and will continue to serve the USA in the most honorable way I know how.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 PM

Never served - BUT, I did join the Air Force Association to help with a "Gathering of Warbirds" airshow that was held annually in Madera California.

Got to achieve one of my flying dreams - INVERTED - in a modified P51.

Now, to convince the ANG in Fresno to take me up in a F-16 so I can exceed Mach! (Couldn't afford a Concord flight!)

Have shaken Yeagers hand a couple times - and have 1/2 dozen static jumps under my belt...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:27 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
I served briefly in the Canadian Navy before being accepted to University, and my wife served in the USN... she was the first female P.O. to serve in the war room in D.C. during the Vietnam War.

Last edited by Nor-Cal HHR Club; 11-09-2006 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Have YOU, Are YOU, Served (ing) in military