The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Holy Crap, Earthquake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
Thanks for the "welcoming to the club" from you folks in SoCal...

I know you folks get them quite regular but that size is a bit freaky here in St. Louis.

I'm now wondering if this SoCal decal I added to my rear HHR window my have been a sign...

Wow! I guess I will have to send a warning label with each decal from now on!

Hopefully everyone is Ok back there.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by HHR MOM
I was wondering if you felt that one. We are on the 12th floor and everyone said, time for lunch now, its not vertigo.
We were on the 3rd floor over in Westport (Northwest STL County).

There were two of them... within 1 minute...

Since the guy I was on the phone with was in Kentucky and felt it a slight second before me, I'm asuming they was a pretty decent size aftershocks.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 AM

Ya'll are freakin me out!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Founding Member

Kinda reminds us all about disaster preparedness! http://www.ready.gov/
Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by tireman1554
Ya'll are freakin me out!
Deep breaths, Tireman!

Seriously, it is scary, but this is what we live with here every day. You never know when they are going to hit, and just hope you are in a safe place or near home or something when it does.

I keep a change of clothes/sneakers in Blackie, flashlights and a gas generator at home. My office has what I call "earthquake food" (Cup o'Noodles! ) and snacks that can last awhile, etc. All my animals have micro-chips or tags.

Sindy is right--we all need to be as prepared as we can--something I know I'm not!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 PM

I had just laid back down after getting up about 4:25am to go wee wee, was still awake when it hit. Epicenter of it was 45 miles west of our city (Evansville).

I knew what it was as soon as it started, but curiously it didn't feel as strong as one we had in June 2002. When the one in 2002 hit I was home and a workman was in the crawl space of our house at the time. It was funny because he had a tough time getting in the crawl space through the small scuttle door access, but when that quake hit he shot out of there like he was greased up or something.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:37 PM

Actually we did have a small quake here a few weeks back in south Texas. Small quake or not, moving ground just aint cool! I can handle tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, even baseball sized hail. But moving ground just scares the crap outa me. I'll keep ya'll in my prayers!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I had just laid back down after getting up about 4:25am to go wee wee, was still awake when it hit. Epicenter of it was 45 miles west of our city (Evansville).

I knew what it was as soon as it started, but curiously it didn't feel as strong as one we had in June 2002. When the one in 2002 hit I was home and a workman was in the crawl space of our house at the time. It was funny because he had a tough time getting in the crawl space through the small scuttle door access, but when that quake hit he shot out of there like he was greased up or something.
Did you just feel the 4.5 aftershocks around 10:15 am CDT a couple hours ago?

That was the size they reports on local St. Louis news...

I bet the tourists at the top of the St. Louis Arch were begging to get a ride down when that hit...

Old 04-18-2008, 12:40 PM

I just watched a video of a weather guy back there who was on the air when the first one hit.

He handled it much better than our local news guy (Kent Shockneck) who dove under his desk during the big Northridge quake. He is now known as Kent Aftershockneck.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:55 PM

I didn't feel the aftershock at 10:18. About that time I was outside under a tent at the football stadium unloading pallets from our truck when a bolt of lightning hit very close to us. I'm standing under a huge tent with metal poles all around. It didn't take me long to get inside the truck after that I'll tell ya.

Quick Reply: Holy Crap, Earthquake!!!