The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Holy Crap, Earthquake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

Haven't felt a thing down here in Poplar Bluff. New Madrid Fault is only about 30 miles from here too. I betcha the big one's coming soon if the little faults are waking up. Scientists predicted a big earthquake in Turkey a few years back by looking at the quakes along the smaller faults.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:56 PM

It was on the news that the local university, BGSU, picked up the earthquake on the richter scale. The county sheriff said he felt it and thought it was one of his twins walking but he looked and no kid
Old 04-18-2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by shaginwgn
The county sheriff said he felt it and thought it was one of his twins walking but he looked and no kid
Jeezus... how much do his twins WEIGH?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
Did you just feel the 4.5 aftershocks around 10:15 am CDT a couple hours ago?
Yep. I was in the basement @ work (large gov't bldg of mostly concrete).
Old 04-18-2008, 08:09 PM

I was sleeping, didn't know it happened. My husband was awake and said it felt like a large truck driving down the street. .... sucks that I missed it tho....
Old 04-18-2008, 08:23 PM

I had gotten up to use the bathroom just before it hit. There I was standing there mostly asleep. Just trying aim into the bowl so the wife doesn't upset. Then rumble rumble. To me it felt as if my house was hit by a truck. I caught my self wondering why is the house shaking? At first I thought it might be a tornado due to the wind that had picked up. Then I realised that the wind was not a blowin. At that point I decided to think nothing of it. It wasn't until much later while I was at work that I found out it was an earthquake. At that point I had to stop and think what if it had been stronger and I had not had to pee? Then the oh my god thoughts started to flood my psyke. Non the less it was just a 5.4.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 AM

Just got out of the shower last night at 12:38 am, when we had another decent jolt of 4.5 magnatude.

That was our 18th aftershock.... 8*

I was still up and awake during this one last night, but I was thinking that I was making it up in my head due to all of the earthquake talk around here. I just blew off that rattling for a possible airplane over at the airport.

I had no idea that was actually an aftershock until I heard it on the news this morning.

Last edited by Big Kahuna; 04-21-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:51 PM

Yup, I'm a light sleeper, and right at 12:39 (on our clock)last night rumble....rumble shake...AGAIN. But not for as long. Stayed in bed this time, actually fell back asleep within about 15 minutes this time.

I hear there is a debate amongst geologists as to whether or not this is a lead up to a big one or if it is pressure being let off and may stave off the big one.

I need to go get one of those water main valve shut-off keys that you stick down in the portal in your front yard to shut off the water main line. Just in case the big one hits and pops our plumbing, I want to be able to go out and shut off the water asap. Gas meter has a hand shut off on it for the gas main. Those are two things you'll want to shut off if the big one hits and ruptures your gas and water piping in your house.

We've got some stuff on hand but Wednesdays are the wife's 1/2 days @ work, so i told her to go out Wednesday afternoon and get some canned stuff and dried fruit, more bottled water, powered milk, etc.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but never hurts to have a little extra on-hand.

Plus ammo for the looters, lol, just kidding.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Plus ammo for the looters, lol, just kidding.
Heh, a month ago when we were getting all the flooding around here, a bunch of us were sitting in the office with nothing to do as all the courts were closed. One of the more mild mannered attorneys said "Hey, let's grab a boat and go looting!"

To me, if they really want my old crap, by all means take it. I'll pocket the insurance money and go buy some new stuff after I redeem a couple weeks face down in Cabo.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 PM

I live in Indy and it was felt here. I didn't feel the first one was asleep and not much will wake me up. The second one I was at work at my desk on the second floor. When that one hit I definately felt my desk shaking. that was a new experience for me.

Quick Reply: Holy Crap, Earthquake!!!