The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Holy crap..I think I ruined my TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by stick
Brave man!! I paid around 2 g for my plasma two years ago and won't even touch it with a rag. Just for future knowledge bb and cc both carry a special cleaner just for those types of tv. Good luck with yours.
Circuit City rep told my mom to use water when cleaning her lcd hdtv. I think it was in manual also. I would recommend bottled water especially if you have hard or well water.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:06 PM

I'd love to...a couple of stores had the Sharp 1080p 46" AQUOS for 1300 bucks for a couple of days this weekend...reg price is about 2300...kicking myself now

The rest of this anti glare crap is not coming off as easy..this is gonna suck.....my wrists are killing me already

Goose
Old 11-25-2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Goose

..this is gonna suck.....my wrists are killing me already

Goose

Sorry couldn't help it.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:58 PM

Swiffer dusters is all I ever use on my TVs now, especially my 42" DLP.

I think I may have used Pledge on my CRT screen in the past, but that is a 1992 model which I doubt had an anti-glare coating.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:34 PM

Ack...I'm in agony...this crap is a b-ll buster to get off....only saving grace is when TV is on you can't notice it but it looks God awful with it off

I've done some stupid crap in my day but this goes right to the top of the list

Goose
Old 11-25-2007, 04:46 PM

This is a very interesting topic and quite informative...

I've been holding out to buy a "HUGE" screen until I am really forced to... although I'm jealous of all you who switched to the "Big Dogs"...

First of all, Goose... I'm truly sorry to hear what happened because I am a perfectionist at that would drive me freakin' nuts...

Have you called any of the "big box stores" to ask them if there is a resolution to this screen problem? I have always used regular Windex on my tv screens for years (thinking that a glass cleaner would be okay for the glass tv screen) and have never had a problem with any of my old picture tube televisions.

Any video experts here that can provide a solution to Goose's problem and also some preventative advice on how to clean the screen of these video monsters?

By the way, Best Buy is now advertising a 73 inch plasma!!!
Holey crap that's HUGE!!!
Old 11-25-2007, 05:21 PM

All I use to clean our plasma TV is Monster Screen Clean. It comes with the cleaner and a MicroFiber cloth. Also use it on the PC monitor and all our cameras. We were told that any other cleaners, such as Windex, ammonia based cleaners etc. could scratch or streak the screen and strip away the protective coating. It was pricey ...but so was the TV. Sorry I couldn't be of any help Goose.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your tv. When I got my DLP I tossed any and all rags I use to use on my old tvs. I only use a microfiber cloth on it and never any cleaning stuff not made for DLP or LCD, plasma TVs. Even with my old tvs I use this stuff now.
Good luck if you keep it, but being a guy I say get the BIG hd tv now
Old 11-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by sweetmama
All I use to clean our plasma TV is Monster Screen Clean. It comes with the cleaner and a MicroFiber cloth. Also use it on the PC monitor and all our cameras. We were told that any other cleaners, such as Windex, ammonia based cleaners etc. could scratch or streak the screen and strip away the protective coating. It was pricey ...but so was the TV. Sorry I couldn't be of any help Goose.
Works GREAT thats what I bought
Old 11-25-2007, 05:56 PM

The thing that burns me the most is I KNOW not to use any of that crap for a TV screen, even a CRT which has been coated....I used 2 gray rags to dust and clean...I picked up the wrong one and started to clean the screen and....Oh CHIT

This may take a week IF I'm lucky

Goose

Quick Reply: Holy crap..I think I ruined my TV