The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Holy crap..I think I ruined my TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 PM

Just a thought - are you sure that the anti-glare coating is coming off? Is there a film coming off the surface? Or could it be that you're rubbing the oil from the Endust into the rough surface of the film making it reflective?
If you're feeling really keen about getting the remainder of the film off (disclaimer: I just found this on Google...http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8283
Old 11-25-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Goose

GD it....I am so pissed off right now at my own stupidity

Goose
Don't feel bad, Goose. I pulled a major numbskull move myself yesterday that resulted in putting a doorbang style ding on the passenger rear fender of my HHR.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:39 PM

She knew that from the start...the ONE time I do offer to clean it goes all FUBAR

As I said before, I KNOW not to rub any chemical on a anti reflective surface...I just grabbed the wrong cleaning rag and once I made that first scrub it was all over

It is a CRT...it is coming off...no doubt..I'm watching the game now and you can't tell a difference until you turn the set off...just gonna take some time and a whole buttload of elbow grease

Goose
Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 PM

She knew that from the start...the ONE time I do offer to clean it goes all FUBAR

As I said before, I KNOW not to rub any chemical on a anti reflective surface...I just grabbed the wrong cleaning rag and once I made that first scrub it was all over

It is a CRT...it is coming off...no doubt..I'm watching the game now and you can't tell a difference until you turn the set off...just gonna take some time and a whole buttload of elbow grease

Goose

DARN. The idea of using 3 parts water to 1 part Acetone will probably work, but DO NOT get it on any of the plastic parts.

You might also try some Naptha as it is much gentler and won't harm most plastics. (Goof-Off or Ronsonol lighter fluid.)

Sorry this happened, bro!!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by pg318
Just a thought - are you sure that the anti-glare coating is coming off? Is there a film coming off the surface? Or could it be that you're rubbing the oil from the Endust into the rough surface of the film making it reflective?
If you're feeling really keen about getting the remainder of the film off (disclaimer: I just found this on Google...http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8283
That is a great thought, and to prove the theory one could test an area using some isopropyl alcohol. If it dries glare-free then your theory was right.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:03 PM

Will Goo Gone hurt the screen (glass)?

Goose
Old 11-25-2007, 10:59 PM

Will Goo Gone hurt the screen (glass)?
Probably just make things worse.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 PM

just spray that area with some automotive clear coat and let it dry it will be see throught and look anti glare with the tv off
Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Banned

Why even bother if you can't see the blemish with the TV on? Chill out and be glad you didn't fog the glass or anything!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Why even bother if you can't see the blemish with the TV on? Chill out and be glad you didn't fog the glass or anything!
My thoughts exactly. Or do you just sit around watching a blank screen?

Quick Reply: Holy crap..I think I ruined my TV