The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Home theater hookup

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Well, it sounds like you are doing the best with what you've got. I would suggest though getting yourself a blu-ray, playstation or atleast an hd upconverting dvd player. That way you can maximize your dvd watching experience. Remember its not dolby digital surround sound unless you hook it up to your receiver digitally, either by an optical cable or coaxial audio cable.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by opelpowered
Well, it sounds like you are doing the best with what you've got. I would suggest though getting yourself a blu-ray, playstation or atleast an hd upconverting dvd player. That way you can maximize your dvd watching experience. Remember its not dolby digital surround sound unless you hook it up to your receiver digitally, either by an optical cable or coaxial audio cable.
Or by HDMI if you have that option.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 AM

Both the cable box and DVD player should use digital audio cables, not RCA. And the DVD should probably use a 3way component (red/green/blue) video cable.
The most common way is to hook the video cables directly to the TV and the audio cables to your receiver, unless the receiver can switch hi-def video (older ones wont).
Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by prod
Both the cable box and DVD player should use digital audio cables, not RCA. And the DVD should probably use a 3way component (red/green/blue) video cable.
The most common way is to hook the video cables directly to the TV and the audio cables to your receiver, unless the receiver can switch hi-def video (older ones wont).
I don't have all the paperwork with me today, but the cable box will get the DVI-HDMI cable (with luck that will work). The DVD player will get the component cables. That is one thing COmcast did give me when they delivered the Digital box even though I didn't have an HD TV at the time.

The reciever will get the digital cable. My receiver is an older one. Probably doesn't have the hi-def video.

Got my confirmation email from monoprice and the stuff ships out today.