The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

How many of us are retired?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Boydie
[B]Budster; I always loved the styling of the Mark II, very few cars look better. Give us a photo of it.
Name:  a0f0a02a-4afb-4b9b-b9c0-cbdd24cad58b_zps6d339b14.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  165.9 KB
Old 11-23-2013, 09:58 AM

Gorgeous Car

Thanks Budster

Gorgeous, just a gorgeous Mark II. I don't know if any car can compete
with this car. I am old enough to remember this Lincoln. It looks majestic
going down the highway and rode like a dream.

My brother had a 1955 Packard Patrician at time and it was very nice but...........

Boydie

Originally Posted by Budster
Old 11-23-2013, 10:27 AM

I retired ( a buy out ) from Eastman Kodak at 55 in Jan 1 2002 after 34 1/2 years. Lived on half salary for two years ( the buy out package ), then lived off investments until SS kicked in at 62. I moved to Florida ( God's waiting room ) in Nov 2003, had a house built in 2005 and have been traveling the states ever since.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:32 AM

Been working since I was 14 when I got a job as a laborer for a cement contractor for $.85 per hour.

Retired at 52 after 15 years working as an news artist for newspapers. Before that I was an Airframe Repairman in the USAF, then I worked in Detroit building prototype cars for Ford, GM and Chrysler, then moved to Miami to work as a welder in Eastern Airlines' Engine Service Center, then quit that job and moved to South Miami Beach in '80 to become an artist. I now run a home based business selling decals to people who build scale models.

God has blessed me with a full and rewarding life, a mother who taught me the value of saving for retirement and a father who taught me that slow and steady wins the race.

I'll be 67 on Dec. 8 and bought myself a little birthday present, a new '13 Dodge Challenger R/T.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:33 AM
Premium Member

I retired 8 years ago and now don the red suit each season (since I look the part year round) HoHoHo
Old 11-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
I am 25 and will probably never retire...because it wont be an option when I am old enough....Not trying to get in a political debate or anything..
What you mean is that Social Security may not be around when you retire. That may or may not be true but your thinking is all wrong.

Your future is in YOUR hands and when you start thinking that way you will be able to retire. Start saving now! At your age if you start now you'll be wealthy by the time your in your 50s. Trust me, if you don't see it you won't spend it.

Let me share the most important lessons I've learned in my life:

1. Never put your financial security in the hands of others.
2. Grow old gracefully and live within your means.
3. Don't buy stuff you don't need with money you don't have.
4. Pay your credit cards off every month.
5. The four most liberating words in the English language are "I can't afford it".
6. No one in Washington gives a crap about you.

It's your life - own it.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 AM

[/B]CJ is correct and
taking SS away or telling you that Social Security won't be there for you is a politicians way of scaring the people or getting their vote. They have been saying it for years and guess what........ These are the same people who call it an entitlement?

If they take SS away as they threaten to do thousands and thousands of people will starve.

Boydie

Originally Posted by Czechman
What you mean is that Social Security may not be around when you retire. That may or may not be true but your thinking is all wrong.

Your future is in YOUR hands and when you start thinking that way you will be able to retire. Start saving now! At your age if you start now you'll be wealthy by the time your in your 50s. Trust me, if you don't see it you won't spend it.

Let me share the most important lessons I've learned in my life:

1. Never put your financial security in the hands of others.
2. Grow old gracefully and live within your means.
3. Don't buy stuff you don't need with money you don't have.
4. Pay your credit cards off every month.
5. The four most liberating words in the English language are "I can't afford it".
6. No one in Washington gives a crap about you.

It's your life - own it.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Czechman
Before that I was an Airframe Repairman in the USAF
Me too Random thought...