The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

I hate Being Young

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 04:56 PM

Don't get married. Just find a woman you hate and buy her a house
Old 06-08-2009, 05:36 PM

Yeah, it is tough when you start out. I'm just starting to make a career for myself right now. I bought a new HHR during my last year of university and bought a condo a couple years after I graduated (albeit I don't live in the condo because it's in a different city, investment purchase.) I'm wanting to buy a house here but you can't really pick up anything decent for less than $350,000 and right now I don't really have a down payment saved up (minimum 10%.)
I'm hoping to sell my condo in about 2 years when the market picks up a little again. I have a little equity in it now and I hope to use the money from the sale as a down payment for my future home.
It's better to suffer a little now and work your ass off to start building up your future as opposed to a lifetime of suffering and worrying.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by wagoneer
Don't get married. Just find a woman you hate and buy her a house
or find a woman with kids and give her half your money LOL... oh man im in trouble... i actually have a great relationship so i better not have jinxed myself ^_^
Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 PM

I hear you on the weding expenses. I am 24 and got married last augest. My wifes family only paid for the reception, we paid the rest. I love renting but maybe it is cheaper here. We pay $760 amonth and have private entry w/ a 2 car attached garage. Only have to pay electricty too. No tax, no repairs, now lawn maintenance, and get to claim my rent on taxes.

The key is saving money! My wife has a job w/ here degree, but I have not started looking yet. (graduated in Dec.) We were saving 50%+ of our income now w/ the car payment it is 25%+ of our income. We are paying the car off way sooner then 5 years. Just go w/o some things for now, such as cable, smart phone bills, ect. ect. I am sure it will get better.

It is hard w/ wanting stuff and having to wait. I am looking at a ducati for next spring. As much as I want it now I will have to wait so that I dont have to take out a loan for it. Good things come to those that wait. That is what was/is wrong w/ this country. People cant' wait and use the plastic to get it now.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by 09_SS
I hear you on the weding expenses. I am 24 and got married last augest. My wifes family only paid for the reception, we paid the rest. I love renting but maybe it is cheaper here. We pay $760 amonth and have private entry w/ a 2 car attached garage. Only have to pay electricty too. No tax, no repairs, now lawn maintenance, and get to claim my rent on taxes.

The key is saving money! My wife has a job w/ here degree, but I have not started looking yet. (graduated in Dec.) We were saving 50%+ of our income now w/ the car payment it is 25%+ of our income. We are paying the car off way sooner then 5 years. Just go w/o some things for now, such as cable, smart phone bills, ect. ect. I am sure it will get better.

It is hard w/ wanting stuff and having to wait. I am looking at a ducati for next spring. As much as I want it now I will have to wait so that I dont have to take out a loan for it. Good things come to those that wait. That is what was/is wrong w/ this country. People cant' wait and use the plastic to get it now.
I hear ya, Her mom is paying for her dress and my parents gave us a grand to use on anything. Its alot cheaper in GB. Were about 50 Mins from Chicago Rent is 875. 1 Bed 1 Bath, Private Entrance, We pay Gas,Electric,Cable. No Garage. Its ok, but at 700 sq Ft its starting to get a little small.

As far as we are concern's rent is 875, Which is actually on the cheap side Avg around here is between 900-1000+. At 875 add a extra 200-300 Bucks and own a house. That includes Taxes under a FHA loan.

She graduated last May, Biggest problem we have is her student loans, when the economy went to crap her interest rate's went up when her loans came due. Then they would not let you hardship all of them due to the Bank. However we can't refinance them because we can't touch our credit with trying to buy a house.

Right now we will be able to buy a house cheaper then pay her student loan's as far as the interest is concerned. Glad we gave the banks 160+Billion.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 AM

Thats a big reason why i bought a house we were paying rent for a condo 850.00 a month for 75 dollars more we bought a house.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:18 PM

Wish me Luck going House Looking again Monday!!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Here is a fairly useful tool for comparing cost of living in various areas. http://www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-calculator . For the few areas I know well, it actually does appear to be reasonably accurate.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 PM

I have never used that one, but have used others. They seem to be pretty acurate
Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 PM

I'm 62, been divorced three times, worked the last 20 years as a commercial artist, my house is paid for and I paid cash for my HHR, I'm semi-retired and have a girlfriend 20 years younger than me. I "work" 20 hours a week maintaining a little business I started 20 years ago.

Get a job, start a business on their dime and save!

What's erectile dysfunction?

Quick Reply: I hate Being Young