The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

I hit a deer yesterday-not in the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:00 AM

I was at work about 3 weeks ago and i was up on a telephone pole working on some cable, i hear screeeechhhh some lady nails a deer, i run down and check on her shes fine car is pretty banged up. i called the police when they got there the deer kinda hopped up but was limping really bad. The lady was so sad for the deer. I tell her you might want to close your eyes, she like "why" then Bang Bang!!! the cops shoots the deer twice in the head. Lol her reaction was price less.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Question i allways brake for deer

yes they most allways are in groups. even if i see 1 way off the road ,i slow down very quickly , in case anouther is close. rare case-but 1 guy got killed by a deer comming through the windshield. i drive 270 miles a night, my main focus is to look out for deer. my nieghbor says i need to get some of those whistles that the deer hear. i told him i didn't understand how they work.a dear can hear me coming without a whistle. i have NEVER seen a deer that didn't see me 1st. so, the whistle will not help with that. if the whistle scares the deer and it runs, what is to stop it from running in front of me? when i told my neighbor this he got all huffy , acted like i had insulted him. he hasn't really came over but once or twice since , he used to come over all the time. i don't raelly think this is why , but it could be. you would think he invented the deer whistle or somethin. i'm still considering getting some whistles, at least it will make the nieghbor happy.has anyone here ever hit a deer and had whistles on their vehicle? i hope i don't offend anyone.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
has anyone here ever hit a deer and had whistles on their vehicle?
Yes:

Old 01-03-2009, 11:45 AM

The thing about whistles is they HAVE to be in a position where they are in the airstream! The front of the grill where its a high pressure area is not the place(no air movement)!If you'd have them on the lower grill where the are is going into the radiator then they would work better.In front of headlites and grills is no good.Also too close to the body is not good as there is always a cushion of air there that doesn't move very fast.
When I drove big truck I was always on roads loaded with dear,I chose a good area and never had a problem.Before I got to where deer where they would pop heads and move away.Where as Ive seen other vehicles where they didn't know something was there till to late.Position is everything.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 AM

I had an electric one in my Camaro.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 AM

Should I Show This To My Neighbor?

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Yes:
i think he's funny. but i really don't like to make him huffy. but he's so funny. it really is a delima for me. i don't think he should have no fear of deer accidents. i don't think i can tell him with out him taking offense. he would say that the whistles were mounted incorrectly. i think the instructions say for them to be a certain distance apart.

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 01-03-2009 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Removed pics from quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:54 AM

Ok

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
The thing about whistles is they HAVE to be in a position where they are in the airstream! The front of the grill where its a high pressure area is not the place(no air movement)!If you'd have them on the lower grill where the are is going into the radiator then they would work better.In front of headlites and grills is no good.Also too close to the body is not good as there is always a cushion of air there that doesn't move very fast.
When I drove big truck I was always on roads loaded with dear,I chose a good area and never had a problem.Before I got to where deer where they would pop heads and move away.Where as Ive seen other vehicles where they didn't know something was there till to late.Position is everything.
C:\Users\#1stnnr\Pictures/ok_logo.jpg
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Electric?

Originally Posted by chadpuska
I had an electric one in my Camaro.
do you believe it worked? where can the be purchased?
Old 01-03-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by catdaddy137
do you believe it worked? where can the be purchased?
I never hit a deer and i lived out in the woods when i had it. oh and i dont know where it came from i received it as a present.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:07 PM

Hit #1 no Whistles

Hit #2,3,4,5 Yes mounted below the bumper.

I have found a deer coming out of the woods looking straight is one to watch for. Deer eating on the sides of the road do not go anywhere, even with whistles on.

My complete record
94 s-10 4x4 - 3 deer
2000 grand am - 3 deer
HHR - 2 damage hits, 3 contacts

Quick Reply: I hit a deer yesterday-not in the HHR