The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

I received this email and thought I'd share

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 09:20 AM

I received this email and thought I'd share

Limbaugh nailed this one~

Incredible, unforgivable and shameful…

Love him or loathe him, he nailed this one right on the head..........

By Rush Limbaugh:

I think the vast differences in compensation between victims of the September 11 casualty and those who die serving our country in Uniform are profound No one is really talking about it either, because you just don't criticize anything having to do with September 11. Well, I can't let the numbers pass by because it says something really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country. If you lost a family member in the September 11 attack, you're going to get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of $250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.
If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of which is taxable.

Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs. If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry. And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people who are getting an average of $1.185 million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough. Their deaths were tragic, but for most, they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. Soldiers put themselves in harms way FOR ALL OF US, and they and their families know the dangers. (Actually, soldiers are put in harms way by politicians and commanding officers.)

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal that the September 11 families are getting. In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you? Folks, this is part and parcel of over 50 years of entitlement politics in this country. It's just really sad. Every time a pay raise comes up for the military, they usually receive next to nothing of a raise. Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families have to survive on food stamps and live in low-rent housing. Make sense?

However, our own US Congress voted themselves a raise. Many of you don't know that they only have to be in Congress one time to receive a pension that is more than $15,000 per month. And most are now equal to being millionaires plus. They do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't have to pay into the system. If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7, they may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who placed them in harm's way receives a pension of $15,000 per month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and daughters who are now fighting.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting reading..... and agree with much of it

EDIT>>>>> After reading, I did a little research. Apparently the Rush letter is true, according to Snopes. However, the next to last paragraph starting with, "However, our own....." is not attributed to Rush and was added on. Most, if not all, of the info in that paragraph is greatly embellished or not true.

Much like many letters circulated thru e-mail and the net, people seemed compelled to add their own agenda to otherwise truthful statements.

Last edited by Snoopy; 07-05-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Not a Limbaugh fan, but the part of that letter he did write is dead on.

The entitlement mentality of this country spreads far beyond victims of tragedies. Anyone with children can attest to this. Schools will promote children to the next grade so they don't damage their self esteem. (Or as my son put it when he was in 2nd grade- 'selfish steam')
Yes, my son should have been held back when his math and handwriting skills were not up to par, I REQUESTED that he repeat 2nd grade, but the school said it would cause embarrassment and irreparable harm to his self esteem. He's not stupid, just lazy, and it took him little time to to figure out how to work the system. However, now that he's in high school, they expect him to have good work habits without promoting them up until now. Funny thing is, even though he gripes about it, he does his chores at home and helps out his grandmother, but lets schoolwork slide.
At least he doesn't feel abused because we don't have a 60" plasma, XBOX 360 and an iPhone.... but he still doesn't get why downloading copyrighted music is wrong, unless the artist puts it out there for free....
Old 07-07-2008, 08:39 PM

My son leaves for Iraq in August.

He Army enlisted.

He made 4 times what he makes in the Army before he joined.

It's not about money...it's about serving our Nation and keeping it free.

Thank you my son. Thank you everyone who is serving.

May God protect those that make it so we can remain free.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 AM

My son leaves for Iraq in August.

Thank him from me as well!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 AM

I thought Limbaugh was a right wing republican. His party has made the miltary system worse, but most of what he speaks of in this letter was a bipartisan effort. As I recall Bush was cutting militarybenefits AS he was sending soldiers off to war. I was told that if a soldier is killed in Iraq, and their family currently lives in a military base, with the notice of their death, the family it is told it has 30 days to vacate the base.