The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

I retired yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

I retired yesterday

So. Due to circumstances, I signed my retirement papers yesteday. Won't be effective until April 6, but I worked my last shift on March 13. The remaining days in-between will be some vacation and holidays that I have to burn.

My original retirement day was set for April 27, but due to some governmental(city) cutbacks, I decided to leave a little early. Figured if I left now, maybe it would help a younger firefighter have a little better job security.

29 years and 7 months. I've seen and experienced a lot. Some good. Some tragedy. All in all, I couldn't have imagined doing anything else.

Going to take a couple months off now to catch up on some personal projects and stuff. Then it will be on to a part time job to help make ends meet.

In the mean time, if you see me posting up on this forum more than usual, you'll know why.

Last edited by firemangeorge; 03-28-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 AM
Premium Member

eyy thats good to hear! youve done your fair share of work! now relax and enjoy life as much as you can...just try not to get too bored haha
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Deceased

Name:  Congratulations.gif
Views: 32
Size:  30.2 KB

Hope you are enjoying it. It is a great time to get to know family again and get out w some friends, especially some car friends. maybe do some traveling
also gives you more time to do some car mods hopefully and have some fun

as of Jan 1 i was medically disabled and have gotten to do all of the above cept travel. got to do a little
Old 03-26-2014, 09:11 AM

I have a little less than 7 yeras till I'm eligable, I hope there's still something around when I get there
Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM

Congratulations Fireman

I am on my 18th year of retirement.

Boydie

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
So. Due to circumstances, I signed my retirement papers yesteday. Won't be effective until April 6, but I worked my last shift on Mar

ch 13. The remaining days in-between will be some vacation and holidays that I have to burn.

My original retirement day was set for April 27, but due to some governmental(city) cutbacks, I decided to leave a little early. Figured if I left now, maybe it would help a younger firefighter have a little better job security.

29 years and 7 months. I've seen and experienced a lot. Some good. Some tragedy. All in all, I couldn't have imagined doing anything else.

Going to take a couple months off now to catch up on some personal projects and stuff. Then it will on to a part time job to help make ends meet.

In the mean time, if you see me posting up on this forum more than usual, you'll know why.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Well done Sir!!!!! Welcome to the club.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Deceased

Well I'd been working on a fire engine or firefighter "Smiley" for your retirement George, so how about this one?

Congratulations on your retirement and thank you for your service to your community and all those that you've helped.

We're proud of you Buddy!
Old 03-26-2014, 12:08 PM

I retired the end of 2001 for similar reasons as the company was downsizing and I had 34+ years. My retirement allowed someone else to stay in their job, at least until the next year, when the company again downsized some more.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 PM

Welcome to the club! I'm in my 12th year of retirement. I also had 34+ years in like Old Lar but I left because I had reached the eligibility point to retire.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Congratulations George.....

You'll enjoy the time. But make absolutely sure your part time employment doesn't require all your time (speaking from several previous experiences).

Also thanks for your community service.

Quick Reply: I retired yesterday