The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

I Want to Dispel a Myth

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 PM

I Want to Dispel a Myth

I know some time ago we discussed using a cell phone and another key fob to unlock your car door remotely. I want to let you know it DOES NOT WORK!

My son just called me from college, 300 miles away, to say he locked both sets of keys in his car. Why did I bother to give him an extra one? Of course, it also has every possession he took down there in it also. So we tried sending a signal by the cell phone to unlock the doors and it didn't work. I don't know the secret is but the locksmith is his way as I type. He may get home about 2am tomorrow!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:21 PM

How it works

This may shed some light on the myth.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm
Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 PM

TK, I couldn't find anything in the article about using a cell phone to remotely unlock the doors. Sorry!

But this one answers it. http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...nlock_door.htm.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I know some time ago we discussed using a cell phone and another key fob to unlock your car door remotely. I want to let you know it DOES NOT WORK!

My son just called me from college, 300 miles away, to say he locked both sets of keys in his car. Why did I bother to give him an extra one? Of course, it also has every possession he took down there in it also. So we tried sending a signal by the cell phone to unlock the doors and it didn't work. I don't know the secret is but the locksmith is his way as I type. He may get home about 2am tomorrow!
He should buy an HHR and have On*Star!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:48 PM

Yeah, I tried it a couple of years ago and found it didn't work. By the way, is it possible our children are related? My daughter loses keys constantly. Which reminds me, she has only one at this time. I better order another...:)
Old 05-01-2008, 08:16 PM

to bad you all dont have On Star..... could call them and they would unlock it.... been there and done that......lol
Old 05-02-2008, 08:24 PM

It's a Ford, no chance of having Onstar. He got home at 2am and I didn't get much sleep waiting for him so it will be an early night tonight.

I made sure to give him an extra key and he ended up locking both keys and the remote in the car. Bet this will never happen again. Or, at least, he'll never tell me about it.