The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

If you're over 30...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jersey Classic
On the upside we only had to pay 29.9 cents for a gallon of gas...At least in 1973 that was.
worked in a gas station from 71-73.... cars would run over the hose..... ding ding ding....... where we pump the gas and wash windows with a squirt bottle and wipe with paper towels..
even check your oil..
and dont wont to forget to check the air in the tires.....
Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Wow, I am surprised all you old farts even found the internet!! j/k

Yeah, I tell my oldest about the Atari and UHF/VHF only. Hell, what was A/C back then? Either in car or at home. We opened the windows @ night and closed everything during the day. Living in SoCal that is suffocating.

And computers in General. I didn't learn about them until middle school (old 80/80) and my 8 year old was learning how to make Powerpoint presentations last year in the 2nd grade!!
Old 04-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by NickHHRSS
Wow, I am surprised all you old farts even found the internet!! j/k
I think we invented the internet, video games, cell/mobile phones, etc...I could be wrong my memory is down to 2mb lately.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I think we invented the internet, video games, cell/mobile phones, etc...I could be wrong my memory is down to 2mb lately.
LOL!!!!
My blood pressure just went up 2 gigs laughing!

@
Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 AM

technology is great... my kids do have it easier than I did.. Man the 80's were hard to survive! LOL
Old 04-28-2011, 01:16 PM

to dig up an old thread

we may have had it easier than you with our tech (this being said by someone born in 1990) but we also have had to worry more about being shot by the pu$$ies of the world that wanted our tech. growing up nowadays may not be hard but it sure is !@#$%^$ scary
Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 PM

I really missed this old thread before.

I'll add, we had 2 channels during the day, 3 at night. But at midnight, all went off the air.

Rotoray phone were the biggies once you no longer had to call the operator and tell her to dial HO224 please. My brother rebuilt a rotory phone and has it in his shop.

Hated 8 tracks, cassettes were the ticket. Place your recorder between the speakers to record records to cassette.

Remember in the 70's getting PONG for Christmas, we were the hit of the neighborhood.

Spend all day on the bike and playing with friends. Went where we wanted, and no one really cared. You knew when you had to be home.

we may have had it easier than you with our tech (this being said by someone born in 1990) but we also have had to worry more about being shot by the pu$$ies of the world that wanted our tech. growing up nowadays may not be hard but it sure is !@#$%^$ scary
Retired from the military in 2003, I got shot at a few times...... Walking down the street in Atlanta is what scares me.....
Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Im 79 no TV

Try living inthe Depression hand me down clothes, homeless sleeping in the park, never had a Xmas present or birhday party, Im retired for the las 12 and a half years, and try not to think about my child hood, by the time i was 10 years old changed school 26 times, then grew up in a boys home, at 17 got a job and payed cash for a 32 Ford 3 window coupe gas was 12 cents a gallon but had some good times, joined the Air Force at 17 dropped out of high school worked hard and was V.P of a company, was offered a job with NASA as overseas site Mgr. kids today have too much and dont appreciate what they have. did not mean to rample on. everyone have a great day.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:31 PM

What amazes me is not only the progress I've seen in my life, but the progress in the last 4 generations. My grandfather, whom I knew and remember, moved from Kentucky to Oklahoma as a boy in a covered wagon pulled by draft horses. They settled in Indian Territory before Oklahoma was a state. No electricity, no radio, no phone (let alone TV or computers).

My dad was born into a house that had electricity and radio, but before TV even existed except as some minor experiments. No indoor plumbing. While they had a car, they often used the horse and buggy or buckboard to go to market (more reliable). He was in High School when WW II started.

I was born into a household with one black and white TV, indoor plumbing, and a telephone. Growing up I talked to tribal elders who were part of the Indian Wars in the late 1800's. Recently they announced that the last WW I veteran died. I remember when the last Civil War veteran died.

Since being born 59 years ago I helped build the internet (for real - I go back to DARPAnet, the predecessor to the internet), saw video games go from simple graphics to near-virtual-reality, computers go from a room full of equipment to the desktop and smaller (my 'droid phone is more powerful than any computer on the planet when I was born) flat-screen TVs with hundreds of channels of drivel to watch, and cars that get 25 MPG while still doing the quarter in under 14 seconds (hard to realize, but "economy" cars in the 1960's didn't get 25 MPG).

Pollution from cars has been reduced 99 percent. We may ***** about the price of cars, but adjusted for inflation you get a lot more content for about the same money as the 1960's. When you buy a product, it works. Period. (Unless you lived through it, it's hard to imagine, but many products in the 1960's simply didn't work on delivery, and most didn't hold up - forget about how good things were built in the old days - that's selective memory in action).

You youngsters will probably see true virtual reality (direct neural interface), computer power exceeding that of the human mind in one machine, the total computer power of the planet exceeding the total mind power of all humans (suprisingly, neither has happened yet, but probably within 20 years). The end of oil-based products for most use (oil will continue to get more scarce, but probably won't actually "run out" even in your lifetime - it will just price itself out of the market. At some price point alternative energy sources will become more economically viable to develop on a mass scale, but not yet). True bio-engineering (not just reincarnating your pet cat or dog, which is being done now). A return to space (if not by the US, then by China, India and Japan). The shrinkage of the world to a single point from a communications standpoint (almost there now). Water becoming the real scarce resource in most parts of the world.

Or not. The planet is currently overpopulated, and will continue to get worse exponentially. There may be a big plague, war, whatever to reduce the population and re-set the clock. Hopefully not.

Check out what Arthur C. Clarke said in 1964 about communications (this was radical stuff then):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOaZspeSBZU

Check out the current acceleration of technology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9Wu2kWwSY

I'm glad to have been a part of the generation that links the horse and buggy days generation to the post-postmodern generation, and getting to see all this happen.

Jay Lewis, MM, Doctoral Candidate
Management Scientist
HHR SS owner
Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 PM

I was 18 in 1970. I was attending a junior college full-time and working a (nearly) minimum wage job for an average of 30 hours per week. IIRC, I was making maybe $2.25/hr. With that, I was able to pay fo 1/2 of an apartment, buy a few groceries (worked at a restaurant), pay for my car insurance - basically support myself.

These days, even with a minimum wage in the $8.50 range, there's no way my 2 daughters can support themselves and be on their own. We actually had it easier then. (Of course, back then I didn't have to worry about paying for a cell phone, internet, satellite TV, etc.......)