The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Immigration problem
Needs to be fixed/addressed
90.52%
Leave it alone, no problem
9.48%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Immigration problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:26 AM

So many letter writers have based their arguments on how this land is made up of immigrants. Ernie Lujan for one, suggests we should tear down the Statue of Liberty because the people now in question aren't
being treated the same as those who passed through
Ellis Island and other ports of entry.

Maybe we should turn to our history books and point out to people like Mr. Lujan why today's American is not willing to accept this new kind of immigrant any longer. Back in 1900 when there was a rush from all areas of Europe to come to the United States, people had to get off a ship and stand in a long line in New York and be documented. Some would even get down on their hands and knees and kiss the ground. They made a pledge to uphold the laws and support their new country in good and bad times. They made learning English a primary rule in their new American households and some even changed their names to blend in with their new home.
They had waved good bye to their birth place to give their children a new life and did everything in their power to help their children assimilate into one culture.
Nothing was handed to them. No free lunches, no welfare, no labor laws to protect them. All they had were the skills and craftsmanship they had brought with them to trade for a future of prosperity. Most of their children came of age when World War II broke out. My grand-father fought along side men whose parents had come straight over from Germany, Italy,France and Japan . None of these 1st generation Americans ever gave any thought about what country their parents had come from. They were Americans fighting Hitler, Mussolini and the Emperor of Japan. They were defending the United States of America as one people. When we liberated France, no one in those villages were looking for the French-American or the German American or the Irish American. The people of France saw only Americans. And we carried one flag that represented one country. Not one of those immigrant sons would have thought about picking up another country's flag and waving it to represent who they were. It would have been a disgrace to their parents who had sacrificed so much to be here. These immigrants truly knew what it meant to be an American. They stirred the melting pot into one red, white and blue bowl. And here we are in 2008 with a new kind of immigrant who wants the same rights and privileges. Only they want to achieve it by playing with a different set of rules, one that includes the entitlement card and a guarantee of being faithful to their mother country. I'm sorry, that's not what being an American is all about. I believe that the immigrants who landed on Ellis Island in the early 1900's deserve better than that for all the toil, hard work and sacrifice in raising future generations to create a land that has become a beacon for those legally searching for a better life I think they would be appalled that they are being used as an example by those waving foreign country flags.
And for that suggestion about taking down the Statue of Liberty, it happens to mean a lot to the citizens who are voting on the immigration bill. I wouldn't start talking about dismantling the United States just yet.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:27 AM

Very well said Tireman!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:34 AM

Bravo, tireman!

Even the immigrants from Vietnam and Haiti have not had it easy. Many doctors and lawyers end up as laborers because their degrees are not accepted in the US. They willingly make that sacrifice for the betterment of future generations.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:07 AM

Thanks. You notice they had nothing else to say.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:29 AM

Some people just don't have anything to say when faced with truths.

I for one question the state of our government, with all the stupid laws being put on the book and what our senators and congressmen think is important. I sometimes wonder if they haven't lost site of what the country was founded on and what it stands for. I don't mind anyone trying to come from their country to this one, but I agree that they need to become Americans. If you are so proud of your country, be it Mexico or China, stay there. If you feel the need to come to this country become a citizen and be proud of it.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tireman1554
Thanks. You notice they had nothing else to say.
what are you talking about? i waited 3 days for anyone to reply to me.

I have over 300 immigrants i am currently helping in a day labor program in San Antonio. all are illegal. all are looking for amnesty, but unless you actually live within the social work system and grew up in the same situation you have no room to speak.

these men/women are seeking to become "American" but working 70+ hours for pennies on the dollar creates a hard environment for these people to find time to attend English courses.

put your money where your mouth is pal...i do this for free. these are my people and unless you have the hands on experience you only speak for a small ignorant group.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Banned

you must also forget that Roosevelt had a welfare system in the 30's..at least the foundation for all Americans to have a support plan. A support plan which did not see Irish as anything other than animals which were unwilling to become "American". much of the same rhetoric people use for other ethnic groups today. no different...its just another groups turn
Old 01-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

here isyour Ernie Lujan

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immig...immigrants.asp
Old 01-20-2008, 01:50 PM

What is wrong with doing things the right way no matter what ethnic background you are from?

If you want to come into this country, isn't doing it legally the first and foremost thing to do? I don't care if you are Dominican, Irish, German, Mexican, Columbian, Russian etc..

I work with many people who came from all over the globe and they all went through what they were supposed to do legally. If anything these folks appear most pissed off over the illegals than people born here.

Whether you like it or not, the concept of having undocumented people all over the country (again no ethnic segment in mind) doesn't sit well.

Goose
Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM

I can't believe there are people actually HELPING illegals, and they're PROUD of it (???).

Please stop!

Quick Reply: Immigration problem