The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Immigration problem
Needs to be fixed/addressed
90.52%
Leave it alone, no problem
9.48%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Immigration problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by quest51210
so is it okay when a family comes here, has a child that is born here, and then is seperated from the child?

so the child grows up here without a family and their families not born here are sent back to where they came from...is that a good solution?

that is my major opposition to what they are proposing
How the heck do you read all that into my stating that I was born here?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Banned

I don't think there is as big a problem as people make it seem. Like BB pointed out if unless you're Native American your ancestors came from somewhere. I'm American by birth but I'm only the third generation born here on both sides of my family. All of my great grandparents came over on boats. Once they were here they did it right and became American the proper way. My personal problem with immigration is when people come here and don't want to be American. Why the hell did they come here in the first place? Some people go out of their way to live in America and not be American. I understand pride in your heritage and culture but not wanting to be an American yet wanting to live here under our freedom and so forth is disrespectful. Like one of the most basic of all things should be learning English. I'm not saying ditch your home language in favor of only speaking English because it's great to be bilingual but at least learn English. Even if it's broken and awful learn it! If I were to up and move to Japan tomorrow and become a Japanese citizen one of the first things I would learn how to do would be speak and write Japanese. I want to be able to communicate with everyone without a translator or a lot of pointing and incompressible gibberish. Some immigrants should think more like me. I'm proud to be Italian by heritage but I'm an American above that. The way I look at at I'm living my great grandparents dream of full acceptance as a US citizen and living the promise of the American dream. Something that they probably never actually felt in their lifetimes.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 PM

I'd be willing to bet if we could ask our ancestors why they came to the US, the vast majority would say to get away from where they were first and to become an "American" next.

BTW, does anyone else think its strange that while there are many countries in the American Continents, US citizens are the only ones to be American?

We're not even the only country in North America!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

But we are the only country named The United States of America hence the name Americans. Like people from Canada are Canadians and people from Mexico are Mexicans. You would have to be plain stupid or ignorant beyond belief to not recognizes us all as North Americans.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
I'm sorry but let's tell it like it is.........

Anyone should know that a topic like this will only cause issues and will be quickly locked. I just don't understand the need for threads like this, unless of course someone lives for the drama it can cause.

Peace, out!
Amen to that Mike
Like I said Here we go again I am here just to enjoy the Ride. I have been here in the US of A for 55 yrs and I am not going anywhere
but I am enjoying the Ride here on the ChevyHHr.net site

Z
Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
But we are the only country named The United States of America hence the name Americans. Like people from Canada are Canadians and people from Mexico are Mexicans. You would have to be plain stupid or ignorant beyond belief to not recognizes us all as North Americans.
Just a thought that sometimes rattles around by itself in my noggin sometimes.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:31 PM
Banned

Theads like this are okay. It gives you a chance to vent.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Just a thought that sometimes rattles around by itself in my noggin sometimes.
We had to shorten it. It's easy to say, "I'm an American" but a mouthful to say, "I'm a United States of American."
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 PM

IBTL (In Before The Lock)

P.S. My opinion is we MUST secure the border, and I mean secure. There are undocumented migrants bringing serious communicable diseases into this country. Diseases we have erradicated adn gotten pretty much rid of but are seeing a resurgence due to illegal immigration. TB is one of them. TB is for keeps. No cure. Serious business. Not to mention that every illegal migrant we tax payers have to pay high medical bills on because they came here with a serious disease and now use our med facilities as uninsured (medicaid eligble if they have an anchor baby), is that much LESS public money available to help our own citizen poor and uninsured.

I'm sorry but you have to draw a line in the sand at some point. We as a nation cannot be a wide open soup kitchen for the entire 3rd world to come in and eat for free. Not anymore.

We need to hang a new sign over that inscription on the Statue of Liberty, temporarily, that reads: "CLOSED FOR INVENTORY".
Old 06-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
We need to hang a new sign over that inscription on the Statue of Liberty, temporarily, that reads: "CLOSED FOR INVENTORY".
I can see your point. I'm all for immigration but I'm against illegal immigration. I don't think they should wall off the borders or anything stupid like that though. People should go through proper channels to enter the country and become a citizen.

Quick Reply: Immigration problem