The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Immigration problem
Needs to be fixed/addressed
90.52%
Leave it alone, no problem
9.48%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Immigration problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:02 PM

Here in central Fl. at times I feel like I am the one from a 3rd world. When in a store at the mall and no one speaks English, When calling a store or repair service and I can't understand the person on the other end because of no English, When signs are not in English and no sign in English and I have to ask only to be toll in some broken English, what or were to go to find or get what I want it gets to me at times.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:17 PM

Angry

I guiess I can get in on this one before its locked also.

My wife is 1/8th american indian. Myself my ancestors came here a very very long time ago. Im also part blackfoot indian. Couldnt tell by my red hair as im also Irish.

Legal imagration needs to be a little more controlled. Our resources are taxed enough as it is. With all the middle easterns comming here its really getting out of hand. Most of the elderly that come here go on social security without paying a dime into it. There on Medical and Medicare. Thats just one example. I could also count the Asians also.

The folks coming here legally need to also learn English. I am so sick and tired of people that cant rerad or understand english. When I got my Class A license to drive a 18 wheeler I was shocked that the DMV had a person who spoke middle eastern languages to give the new drivers there driving test. WTF! There has got to be 10 languages for the written test.

I have no issues with legal imigration but if your coming here learn our language, our customs, and bring allot of money cause im not going to support you financially!

I think Australia has a rule that if you plan on immigrating there you must have at a minimum 250,000.00 in your pocket. It may be more now.

You dont want to know how I would cure the illegals. Im an ex military police dog handler and I believe in the securing our nation in what ever means necessary to end the burden these people have put on our nation!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:11 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by billbeau
I have no issues with legal imigration but if your coming here learn our language, our customs
Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English > language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Old 06-12-2007, 01:33 AM

Something should have been done to secure our Southern Border 20/25 Years ago! Maybe we wouldn't have the mess we're faced with now. What was just a trickle back then has turned into a flood. And all the while our Governments (Both Federal and State) just sat there with their head up their butts! Now, when it's too late, they start to fumble around for some sort of sort of solution. Nothing is going to work until the border is secured. Do that and then work on the rest of the problems this illegal immigration has caused. And that sure doesn't include any kind of amnesty, no matter what name the politicians try to fool us with.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:43 AM

I agree that we are having to pay for illegals to be here, they get bogus social security cards, they get medical, etc. I also believe in immigration IF it is done legally! I understand that the illegals are coming here for a better life, but do it the right way. This may sound callous but when a person comes into the US illegally and has a child, how can that child be considered a US citizen (even though they are born here)? Their parents came over illegally. Why isn't the INS called to the hospital to deport the parents & child back? The government needs to crack down on illegal immigration. Even immigrants that come here legally get alot of perks even Americans don’t, like they don't have to pay taxes for I believe 7 years, (and they usually have money, like mid-easterners). I also agree that the immigrants NEED TO LEARN ENGLISH.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:26 AM

Do we have an immagration problem, no I don't think so. Do we have an illegial immagration problem? Yes we do. Those individuals are taking jobs from citizens that are here legally. Those that are hiring them are cheating the system since most are paid under the table, at a much lower rate. What shocks me is that they say they can never find them..... I can show you a 100 every day on certain corners waiting for the work trucks to pick them up. Brings up a new term of cheap labor, almost sounds like slavery.

I was born here. So were my parents and my grand parents. I am not an immagrant. And to use the dumb ass comment that "if you are not an 'native american' you are an immigrant." Well prove that the first "native american" was born here. All we know is that they were here when Columbus arrived.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 AM

Very complex issue. I believe in immigration, not illegal immigration. I also believe that immigration procedures may need to be revised.

I live in an area where I, a person born in America with English as my native language, am a minority among immigrants. You here about the busts and hundreds of people being hauled off...and while I feel badly for their plight (wanting a better life, etc.), I can't support illegal actions to do it. In my mind, that justifies every drug dealer who sells crack "to survive".

I understand that my situation may be different from someone else's and I'm not totally insensitive to that...but you can't break the law. Now if the law is biased against you (eg. Jim Crow), the law needs to be revisited.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 AM

Respect???

Originally Posted by solman98
Do we have an immagration problem, no I don't think so. Do we have an illegial immagration problem? Yes we do. Those individuals are taking jobs from citizens that are here legally. Those that are hiring them are cheating the system since most are paid under the table, at a much lower rate. What shocks me is that they say they can never find them..... I can show you a 100 every day on certain corners waiting for the work trucks to pick them up. Brings up a new term of cheap labor, almost sounds like slavery.

I was born here. So were my parents and my grand parents. I am not an immagrant. And to use the dumb ass comment that "if you are not an 'native american' you are an immigrant." Well prove that the first "native american" was born here. All we know is that they were here when Columbus arrived.

solman98, when you started your thread "Please Remember", you asked that if members didn`t want to add positive comments, please don`t post, out of respect.
I have (to date) done so.
So why would you come on this thread, and be disrespectful of the same request, when I asked for the same thing?
Old 06-12-2007, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
solman98, when you started your thread "Please Remember", you asked that if members didn`t want to add positive comments, please don`t post, out of respect.
I have (to date) done so.
So why would you come on this thread, and be disrespectful of the same request, when I asked for the same thing?
You posted a poll, I didn't. I stated that in my post, you didn't. You opened up your own can of worms here. I showed no disrespect. I answered the poll. The "please remember" thread was to honor those men and women that have and are still serving this great country of ours.

I hardly see a comparision.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:17 AM

I, too, live in an area full of illegal immigrants. They live 10 to a house, park in the front yard, and don't even try to hide. Last week they we having a party behind my house, drinking and screaming in a foreign language. I can't even yell at them to keep quite because they wouldn't understand what I was saying.

What really bugs me is the Hispanic restaurants popping up. They always have a Western Union inside so the illegals can send their money home. Not only are they avoiding taxes, they're not even spending the money here to support our economy. There are temp services who drive them around in their vans to construction sites. Please tell me why the officials cannot track these guys.

Because I live near a military base, we have always had a diverse community and we all lived in harmony. Many troops have been stationed in Central America and married their citizens. We also received many of the refugees when Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Phillipines. But the flood of illegal immigrants is increasing violance, bringing in more drugs, taking jobs away from citizens who need them, and basically destroying our community. All of this so a few rich contractors get even richer. It's sad!

By the way, no one can claim social security unless they've worked and paid in for 10 years. I know because a friend who's parents came over from Eastern Europe was in dire straits when her father fell ill. He had only 9 years in and the government wouldn't budge on paying benefits.

Last edited by SandyBeach; 06-12-2007 at 07:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Immigration problem