The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Immigration problem
Needs to be fixed/addressed
90.52%
Leave it alone, no problem
9.48%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Immigration problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 PM

Here's a few points to ponder.

Our local paper did a very objective series on the effect of illegal immigrants on our economy. They stated that salaries were as high as $15 an hour. I've been with the federal government for 18 years and I was only making a dollar or two more at that time. I know many people struggling to get up to $10 per hour and they don't even think about asking for benefits. They can't take those jobs because child care is not offered after 6pm or on the weekend. Working anyone, much less the illegal immigrants over the established 8-hour day or 40-hour week without paying compensation is against the law. But the illegals have to do it to stay here, not because they have a great work ethic.

In the 70's many Asians came here from Vietnam. They spoke little or no english but now are some of our greatest scholars. However, unless we offer classes in spanish, our standardized test scores will continue to plummet. Please explain that phenomenom.

I still can't figure out how the children of illegal immigrants are even getting into our schools. I had to show a birth certificate to get my kids in. Has the standard changed? Some illegal immigrants in So Florida were complaining because they're not eligible for in-state tuition or scholarships at Florida colleges!

Many of our ancestors were forced to live several families to a home when they came to the US. However, they worked to eliminate "sweat shops" and earn fair wages so that they could afford housing. It took many years but I know their efforts have allowed me to be a single parent and homeowner. The way these illegal immigrants are living is taking us back 100 years.

George Bush pushed for NAFTA to help Mexico raise their standard of living to stop illegal immigration. Instead, it made his corporate buddies richer when they moved their manufacturing down south, has had little effect on the Mexican economy, and has made it easier for illegal immigrants to enter this country.

How many politicians have left office when it was discovered they had illegal immigrants as domestic help? How many careers were ruined? Now you just hide them under contractors and subcontractors and just say you didn't know. Now Bush wants to give them all amnesty, that's the illegals, not the politicians!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:25 PM

If you ever get the chance, and you have the time, watch this movie - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/day_without_a_mexican/

It's mired in confusion, but I loved it anyway. I thought it was hilarious.

I have no solutions, only "honest opinions", so I'll save'em.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:58 PM

no what you ppl should do is watch pen and tellers show called BULL**** and look at the one that deals with this very exact subject....

im sure u can goggle it and find clips on the net

matter of fact... its on youtube

P&T BULL**** immigration
Old 06-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Banned

Penn and Teller are pretty good for setting the truth straight. I think my favorite Bull**** was on the US "drug war".
Old 06-13-2007, 10:06 AM

A Somali arrives in Minneapolis as a new immigrant to the United States . He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says,
"Thank you Mr. American for letting me in this country, giving me housing, food stamps, free medical care, and free education!"
The passerby says, "You are mistaken, I am Mexican."

The man goes on and encounters another passerby. "Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in America !"
The person says, "I not American, I Vietnamese."

The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops, shakes his hand and says, "Thank you for the wonderful America !"
That person puts up his hand and says, "I am from Middle East , I am not American!"

He finally sees a nice lady and asks, "Are you an American?" She says, "No, I am from Ecuador !"

Puzzled, he asks her, "Where are all the Americans?"
The lady checks her watch and says..." At work."
Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
What really bugs me is the Hispanic restaurants popping up. They always have a Western Union inside so the illegals can send their money home.
I wish I could find some good hispanic food up here. I love that stuff. You should round up a couple illegals and send them up to my place. I'll hire them as a personal chef!

There's nothing wrong with trying to support your family. Look at all the problems being caused by deadbeat mom's and dad's.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:36 AM

I Wish I Was..........

Hi All this is from another BB.....Aven11

No idea if true or not but wish I had written it...

Actual letter from an Iowa resident and sent to his senator)

The Honorable Tom Harkin
731 Hart Senate Office Building
Phone (202) 224 3254
Washington DC , 20510

Dear Senator Harkin,

As a native Iowan and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue Service, I am
writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted the Department of Homeland
Security in an effort to determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and
they referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from U.S. Citizen to illegal
alien stems from the bill which was recently passed by the Senate and for which
you voted. If my understanding of this bill's provisions is accurate, as an
illegal alien who has been in theUnited States for five years, all I need to do to
become a citizen is to pay a $2,000 fine and income taxes for three of the last
five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process
started before everyone figures it out.

Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay taxes every
year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two years of taxes in return
for paying a $2,000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal
retroactively? This would yield an excellent result for me and my family because
we paid heavy taxes in 2004 and 2005.

Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local emergency room as
my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical
insurance, my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year.

Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive
preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as
"in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my
son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the burden of
renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome car insurance premiums.
This is very important to me given that I still have college age children driving
my car.

If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become illegal
(retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most
appreciative.

Thank you for your assistance.

Your Loyal Constituent,
Donald Ruppert
Burlington , IA
Old 06-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
I wish I could find some good hispanic food up here. I love that stuff. You should round up a couple illegals and send them up to my place. I'll hire them as a personal chef!

There's nothing wrong with trying to support your family. Look at all the problems being caused by deadbeat mom's and dad's.
Hey Calgary. Do you get people complaining about immigration up in Canada? If I remember correctly it's a little harder to become a Canadian citizen than it is to become a US citizen.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Hey Calgary. Do you get people complaining about immigration up in Canada? If I remember correctly it's a little harder to become a Canadian citizen than it is to become a US citizen.
My parents came over to Canada in 1983. We've also had other relatives come over to Canada since then but we've sponsored their immigration.

I don't typically hear any complaints about immigration in Canada. News stories don't show up very often. We do have some problems with illegal immigration and that typically occurs as Asian folks coming over to Vancouver Harbour in shipping containers.

I honestly couldn't tell you whether it's easier to immigrated into Canada or the US. I would actually think that it's easier to come over to Canada becuase I feel that the government is more receptive to immigration. Although, I really don't concern myself with these matters.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by aven11
Hi All this is from another BB.....Aven11

No idea if true or not but wish I had written it...

Actual letter from an Iowa resident and sent to his senator)

The Honorable Tom Harkin
731 Hart Senate Office Building
Phone (202) 224 3254
Washington DC , 20510

Dear Senator Harkin,

As a native Iowan and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue Service, I am
writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted the Department of Homeland
Security in an effort to determine the process for becoming an illegal alien and
they referred me to you.

My primary reason for wishing to change my status from U.S. Citizen to illegal
alien stems from the bill which was recently passed by the Senate and for which
you voted. If my understanding of this bill's provisions is accurate, as an
illegal alien who has been in theUnited States for five years, all I need to do to
become a citizen is to pay a $2,000 fine and income taxes for three of the last
five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process
started before everyone figures it out.

Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay taxes every
year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two years of taxes in return
for paying a $2,000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal
retroactively? This would yield an excellent result for me and my family because
we paid heavy taxes in 2004 and 2005.

Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local emergency room as
my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical
insurance, my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year.

Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive
preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as
"in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my
son.

Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the burden of
renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome car insurance premiums.
This is very important to me given that I still have college age children driving
my car.

If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become illegal
(retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most
appreciative.

Thank you for your assistance.

Your Loyal Constituent,
Donald Ruppert
Burlington , IA

Quick Reply: Immigration problem