The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Interesting article

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wingfeather
We're not talking about the past, we're talking about the present day U.S.A.
Doesn't make a difference. When you want to talk of the future always look to the past. All of our ancestors were immigrants at some point unless you're Native American.

Added? Broke people BRING money to our country? Explain...
It cost money to live here in the US whether you're a legal citizen or not. They have to pay for groceries, housing, fuel, clothes, and so forth. So the money they are making working here illegally supporting themselves and families gets reinvested into our economy. That also makes illegals tax paying citizens in a round about kind of way.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Banned

We're not talking about the past, we're talking about the present day U.S.A.
if you dont respect where and who you come from you shouldnt talk

Added? Broke people BRING money to our country? Explain...
my father came here broke...within 6 years he opened a business and made $250k after taxes in 1971. My father eventually got a permanent work Visa, but he would never become a US citizen. He figures paying taxes since 1965 entitles him to that choice.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Founding Member

My question is did any of the 20 million buy an HHR?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
i know of at least 4 in sana ntonio that did...and like me they bought them cash no notes
Old 01-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Founding Member

I just did a search of this story on the Rocky Mountain News web site and here is what I found:

GRIEGO: Mexican visitor's lament: Our best hands are here
Thursday, October 25, 2007

And so I am driving around the city last week talking to immigrants and baseball fans when my colleague, a visiting journalist from Mexico City, turns to me and says: It is my dream to end illegal immigration.

With that sentence a door opens and a view from the other side of the border revealed.

Evangelina Hernández is a co-editor at El Universal, a major Mexican daily. She is 42; her father is a tractor-trailer driver, her mother stayed home to raise Evangelina and her four siblings. Evangelina received her master's degree in politics and communication and has been a journalist for 22 years.

That's the resume. The person herself is intelligent and opinionated and confident enough to corner Colorado's newly assigned Mexican consul general and tell him to get out of his office and visit his countrymen because they are lonely and afraid.

He said he is trying, she told me.

Evangelina has been in Denver almost two weeks. In that time she has spoken with many Spanish-speaking immigrants, legal and illegal, and she says what has affected her most is the fear she hears in their voices. The mother in Greeley who sends her American-born children to the store because she is afraid to go out; the Guatemalan wife of a man who has permission to work here one more year and then must leave.

You will spend $8,000 on fines and attorneys to stay here one more year, Evangelina told the couple, recounting the conversation. Why not take that money and go back to Guatemala?

"Y despues?" the woman responded. And then? There is no work, no opportunity. Shall I watch my children starve?

"It is too sad," Evangelina tells me. "All the time I am talking to people here, I want to say, 'Don't worry about returning to Mexico because there is something for you there.' But, I can't. It's a lie. And what can I do? It's the big question inside me. As an editor, I tell my reporters, 'When you write a story try to offer the readers something positive, something to do.' And now, I am looking in my mind for something positive, something special to offer my people here and I have nothing."

She describes a Mexican town's annual Immigrant Day celebration. In this town, she says, all the boys and most of the girls leave for the United States, crossing illegally, before they are out of middle school.

"There is no thought about education," she says. "It's sad for me, and embarrassing, too, to recognize that we receive a lot of money from immigrants. The remittances are second only to oil. That's why when these immigrants come back to Mexico, it's oh, how wonderful, and we don't think about the cost to us as a country. And you know what else is so sad? Here, in this country, they are not valued, but when they return to their small towns, with their dollars and their big trucks and their presents, they are big and proud. They are someone."

She wishes the $500 million sought by President Bush to help Mexico fight drug traffickers could go to education. The solution to illegal immigration is education, she says.

"The huge job for (Mexican president Felipe) Calderon is to create opportunities for his people in his country. The 20 million people here illegally, sure, they send money home, but most of it, they spend here. They pay rent, they buy groceries, they buy clothes, they pay taxes every single day. And what happens to your country's economy if 20 million people go away?

"I know they go to school and they use services, but it's not free and it's ignorance to suggest Mexican people here receive everything free. They are making money for this country without any rights, without a single right. Nuestras mejores manos, las más trabajadoras, están aqu'. Our best hands are working here. We miss them. We need them."

Why hasn't there been that investment in Mexico, I ask her and she sums up decades of history with, "the greatest enemy of Mexico is corruption." But people there now are demanding the government create more opportunity.

"Every day people of conscience work for something new, something better. My son is in a better school than I attended. That is the future."

A wall along the border will not stop people, she says. "This is a problem we have to work on together and not as the U.S. looking at Mexico and saying, 'We are a strong country and you are our little neighbor.' No more."

A few days ago, Evangelina met a Greeley worker caught in the Swift raids. He went to court and agreed to return to Mexico in November. He told her he was from Camargo, Chihuahua.

"That is where my mother was born," Evangelina told him, excited. "She still has a sister who lives in Camargo. I'll call her. Maybe she can find a job for you."

She called her mother that night. Oh, her mother said, the factories have left. No hay nada en Camargo. There is nothing in Camargo.

griegot@RockyMountainNews.com

This seems to be a different story but same date and partial headlines. Here is the link.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ur-best-hands/

I am pro American and don't care if your heritage is Mexican, Italian, Nigerian or whatever. If you want to live here BE AN AMERICAN! I am proud that my ancestors were Irish but I don't salute the Irish flag. AMERICA LIKE A ROCK!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by quest51210
i know of at least 4 in sana ntonio that did...and like me they bought them cash no notes
Well that is mucho good!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Banned

I am pro American and don't care if your heritage is Mexican, Italian, Nigerian or whatever. If you want to live here BE AN AMERICAN!
Being American shouldn't mean giving up your heritage or history though.

I am proud that my ancestors were Irish but I don't salute the Irish flag.
Yeah but one of the great things about America is that you can do so if you choose to.

America is made up of every culture and type of person now. This is no longer a strictly white Christian heterosexual male country anymore even though that is who still runs this country for the most part. Even that is changing now. To me being American simply means embracing this country as your own. We are all Americans and should be working for a greater good of America rather than rejecting each others cultures and differences for whatever reason.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Founding Member

America is made up of every culture and type of person now. This is no longer a strictly white Christian heterosexual male country anymore even though that is who still runs this country for the most part. Even that is changing now. To me being American simply means embracing this country as your own. We are all Americans and should be working for a greater good of America rather than rejecting each others cultures and differences for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

Captain Howdy, Your statement of "To me being American simply means embracing this country as your own" says it all. That's what I am talking about and yes freedom means being able to salute, love, hate or be middle of the road about any thing you want as long as your actions do not harm another person or their rights. I believe Americans should always fight for every freedom we have, and love this country as "our" own. I am not an "America Love it or Leave it" person I am more of a "America Love it or Change it Legally" type. Anyone that wants to legally come here and be a part of this great country is welcome by me.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quest51210

But how many SuBurBans were stolen for mass illegal immigrant transportation?
Old 01-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Banned

Captain Howdy, Your statement of "To me being American simply means embracing this country as your own" says it all. That's what I am talking about and yes freedom means being able to salute, love, hate or be middle of the road about any thing you want as long as your actions do not harm another person or their rights. I believe Americans should always fight for every freedom we have, and love this country as "our" own. I am not an "America Love it or Leave it" person I am more of a "America Love it or Change it Legally" type. Anyone that wants to legally come here and be a part of this great country is welcome by me.
Damn straight brother. But I don't believe it's all that easy to gain entry through legal channels. I believe that we should make it easier to become a legal resident once you're here. Then maybe there would be more incentive for illegal residents to become legal residents. We're never going to totally end illegal immigration or stop drugs and criminals from entering our country but I believe if we work to reform the system it would greatly reduce what people consider to be a problem.

Quick Reply: Interesting article