The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Invite to Drive the New CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 08:30 PM

Invite to Drive the New CTS-V

Anyone else get an invite to a test drive of the CTS-V at the Monticello Motor Club Race Track? Looks like fun, I could definitely enjoy 556 hp.

GM is really making some cool cars, as well as decent daily transport. Just kills me they are having such tough times when there is so much talent at that company.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 PM

I wish!!! My BIL has the old V model & it's a beast...Car & Driver this month gives it a big http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ts_v_road_test
Old 10-19-2008, 08:59 PM

Well, looks like it is "wait list" only for all sessions over the 3 days. Just as well, really did not want to fly to NY for just one day of play. Maybe they will come to the West Coast.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 AM

I've done Car and Driver one day evalautions on the Caddy's. I got to drive the DTS compared to a Mercedes and a CTS-V compared to a BMW 5 series. It was great fun and the best part is you get a lap in each car with a professional racer before you drive, so you can learn from a pro how the car will respond before you actually drive it.

The CTS-V vs BMW was a great time. The BMW wins hands down as far as handling and responsiveness, and it was a much more refined vehicle, but the CTS-V has a lot more YEE-HAW!!!

You could push the BMW REAL HARD and the car would respond with some mild understeer and it never really felt fast or on the edge, yet is would easily run a full second faster than the CTS-V over the course we were on. HOWEVER, the CTS-V would get a little tail-happy, do a decent four wheel drift while smoking the tires and still run within a second of the BMW. With a real driver, the cars were a lot closer in times but the BMW still won.

If you get the chance to do one of these deals, don't hesitate. DO IT!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:35 PM

irloyal, did the BMW really seem that fast, comparatively? everything i've read on this new V-series says it is easily mighty enough to embarass even an M5, in basically all performance aspects, and really the only aspect the BMW rivals the CTS-V is interior (yes i admit the M5 has a nicer interior, so far at least, i'll decide when i see a CTS-V in person) and general overall typical high-end Euro build quality (ie materials used, fit and finish, etc), although the build quality of the CTS-V is even remarkably better than most cars the Big 3 make nowadays.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by irloyal
I've done Car and Driver one day evalautions on the Caddy's. I got to drive the DTS compared to a Mercedes and a CTS-V compared to a BMW 5 series.

I'll bet Mike's talking about the old V-series...I don't think the bimmer would hold a candle to the brand new V!!!