The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

JD POWER Best Compact multi-purpose vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by diskullman
A little bit of advertising wouldn't have hurt. The HHR was Chevy's best kept secret.
I really think they expected it to be a "niche" kinda vehicle, and didn't feel the need to promote it too much. The fact that they killed it as soon as the PT was discontinued supports this idea.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:03 PM

While more advertising would not have hurt the HHR sold better than most Chevys.

The collector aspect will be determind by supply and demand. Right not it is way to early to make the car and there are just too many around. The SS will keep a special place as time passes but the standard HHR the numbers are too great now for good resale let alone collector value.

The Fiero is facing this right now as the prices are cheap as there are just way too many around yet even 27 years later.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 PM

JD Powers? Idiots with a pen. They live with a vehicle for a week and judge a 20 year ownership off of it.

Gotta wonder why they didn't pick the Element over the HHR, since there has always been a bias against American companies with these warmed over hippies.

Doesn't matter. Americans will continue to bash American companies until America is no more.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by 87silver
JD Powers? Idiots with a pen. They live with a vehicle for a week and judge a 20 year ownership off of it.

Gotta wonder why they didn't pick the Element over the HHR, since there has always been a bias against American companies with these warmed over hippies.

Doesn't matter. Americans will continue to bash American companies until America is no more.
The Element won a different category.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
There is and will be but retro is a tough follow up. I could promise you half of you here would love a new HHR or hate it.
You've sung that retro can't make it song a lot, but Chevy's camaro and the Mustang sell well, look at Fiat's 500, the Mini, Mercedes is coming out with a shooting brake and the Jeep brand tries harder and harder to look like jeeps and is seen as the only real asset Chrysler has. The list goes on.

As far as world wide sales spend a week in Harajuku Tokyo's hip district and you'll see all kind of American Iron, even from the 60's. Mustangs are on every corner, along with old Suburbans, tricked out Taurus' and more chevy's than you can count.

Naw, the thing about chevy and GM is they just get lazy or don't want to make anything interesting they can't import. (import not export).

Sure the HHR SS is a little clunky and could have better build quality and a little more modern meets retro style, but instead of taking it further, GM does what they always do they just kill it and then wonder why the they only can sell trucks.

Ralph Giles at Chrysler/Fiat will tell you killing of the Dodge Magnum was the biggest mistake Chrysler made, because it has a huge brand following and loyalty. Much like the HHR if they'd just stayed on it.

Also, it's not a one size fits all world. It's a Macro product world where numbers of sales have to be tailored for specific groups.

IMO

JR
Old 08-15-2011, 04:19 PM

As a Management Scientist I agree with JR. GM is famous for dropping cars just about when they get them worked out and popular. Interestingly, I am interested in driving the new Sonic RS although it will definitely be smaller than the HHR. But it looks great and is getting great press for the way it rides and drives for a small car.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by russruth
You've sung that retro can't make it song a lot, but Chevy's camaro and the Mustang sell well, look at Fiat's 500, the Mini, Mercedes is coming out with a shooting brake and the Jeep brand tries harder and harder to look like jeeps and is seen as the only real asset Chrysler has. The list goes on.

As far as world wide sales spend a week in Harajuku Tokyo's hip district and you'll see all kind of American Iron, even from the 60's. Mustangs are on every corner, along with old Suburbans, tricked out Taurus' and more chevy's than you can count.

Naw, the thing about chevy and GM is they just get lazy or don't want to make anything interesting they can't import. (import not export).

Sure the HHR SS is a little clunky and could have better build quality and a little more modern meets retro style, but instead of taking it further, GM does what they always do they just kill it and then wonder why the they only can sell trucks.

Ralph Giles at Chrysler/Fiat will tell you killing of the Dodge Magnum was the biggest mistake Chrysler made, because it has a huge brand following and loyalty. Much like the HHR if they'd just stayed on it.

Also, it's not a one size fits all world. It's a Macro product world where numbers of sales have to be tailored for specific groups.

IMO

JR

LAAA LAAA LAAAA

You havw one major flaw in the retro thing. The HHR is not a Camaro. Musang or Jeep. All three of these are much more popular cars for the most part. It is an easy sell vs a small SUV just on performance alone let alone what it looks like. The HHR and PT both are polarizing designs that people either love or hate and while they have done well as time passes less and less people remain interested.

Also if you change the design too much you risk losing the group you have. The last MR2 and RX7 lost a lot of owners and they changed styling that just did not go in a direction many of their owners liked.

The fact is GM has finally gone global and all cars need to be sold world wide. IFstyling does not work in Europe China, Austrailia and North America odds are it will not be built.

I think they need to replace it with something that is as useable with fresh styling and they will be fine. The new Chevy Cruze proves that just good fresh styling on a very good car can sell in frear numbers. for the last several months it has been the best selling car in America. Note with out any major cuts or rebates too.

Today I find just to many companies are not willing to take the risk or just get lazy and fall back on retro too often. Retro is find now and then or for some herritage styling reminders but some can get too carried away.

Sales had really dropped on the HHR and many were going to low profit fleet sales. The HHR did its job and got GM through a tough time when they needed it. Time for them to take their money and do another great car. If a company does not advance it will become stale.

As for you examples the Jeep is a jeep thing. It has more to do with its abilities vs just styling. As for the Camaro. the 2015 will be a challange to restyle and make it smaller. It remains to be seen if they can retain the magic. As for the Mustang as long a they have a lot of women buying the V6 they will do ok. Sad to say the name sell alone sells a lot of cars and the Mustang II proved that.

What GM needs to avoid is just selling somthing that looks like any othert SUV. While it may not be retro it needs to be original and well styled.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:33 AM

Best Compact?? I think NOT!!

I purchased a certified one owner 06 HHR a year ago almost to the day and have had more issues between traction control intermittent on / off and front end clunks, rattles, and noises. I've been around GM Muscle Cars my entire life and have brought some back from the dead but have never been exposed to a bigger piece of sh*t than the HHR.......

Sorry, I don't mean to offend those of you that are lucky enough to own one of the few good ones, but to make a payment on something of this quality is disgusting and I would like to warn future buyers before they make the same mistake.

Thanks again GM! Keep up the good??? work.......
Old 11-27-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by CARRS 06 HHR
I purchased a certified one owner 06 HHR a year ago almost to the day and have had more issues between traction control intermittent on / off and front end clunks, rattles, and noises. I've been around GM Muscle Cars my entire life and have brought some back from the dead but have never been exposed to a bigger piece of sh*t than the HHR.......

Sorry, I don't mean to offend those of you that are lucky enough to own one of the few good ones, but to make a payment on something of this quality is disgusting and I would like to warn future buyers before they make the same mistake.

Thanks again GM! Keep up the good??? work.......
2 post in and you are talking like this?

If you want help ask, You want advice ask, You wnat compare notes ask, you want to complain with two post take it some where else.

Sorry you bought the wrong used car but the majority here are happy and are willing to help, just don't come in and pile on the car expecting sympathy.

The HHR is not perfect but most of us have have very good and long service out of our cars. If we can help someone that has an issue and solve it we will if you just ask.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

X 2 ^

Quick Reply: JD POWER Best Compact multi-purpose vehicle