The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

"Jolly laughter" is deemed offensive...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 AM

"Jolly laughter" is deemed offensive...

I'll just give you the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071115...ristmasoffbeat

Old 11-15-2007, 08:28 AM

This PC crap has to go.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:34 AM

Well, we aren't allowed to say Merry Christmas anymore..... now it's just Happy Holidays... which I REFUSE to do. I was raised with CHRISTmas...not holiday. screw that idiot that gets pissed because I say Christmas, and if I've just offended anyone here by speaking my mind, I respectfully say "get a freakin' life and deal with it".

(I'm just a bit outspoken and passionate when it comes to certain issues, this happens to be one of them.)

Just a reminder to the Vets who made the freedom of speaking my mind possible.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wodinator
Well, we aren't allowed to say Merry Christmas anymore..... now it's just Happy Holidays... which I REFUSE to do. I was raised with CHRISTmas...not holiday. screw that idiot that gets pissed because I say Christmas, and if I've just offended anyone here by speaking my mind, I respectfully say "get a freakin' life and deal with it".
Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 AM

b!tch b!tch b!tch..... That better?

Well, we aren't allowed to say Merry Christmas anymore..... now it's just Happy Holidays...
Must be a local thing. They all mostly say Merry Christmas around here. Rarely I hear anyone way Happy Holidays, maybe on TV occasionally.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:04 AM
jx3

I see no problem with that, as long as you don't get offended when I reply back "HAPPY CHANNUKAH".
Old 11-15-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by jx3
I see no problem with that, as long as you don't get offended when I reply back "HAPPY CHANNUKAH".

I would absolutley not be offended with your response. I've greeted you in my traditional style, and you've done the same to me. As a matter of fact it has happened to me and I replied "Happy Channukah" with a big smile and no harm was done.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:52 AM

See... ya'll got the right idea (IMO). Everybody needs to stop worrying about what other people do regarding religion, traditions, or celebrations. It might not be what you do, but that doesn't make it wrong. So what if somebody tells you Happy Channukah, and you're not Jewish, or vice-versa.

I say, if you're worried about being politically correct in including most celebrations of "The Holidays," just say Happy Christmahannakwanzakuh....
Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 AM

This was never a problem in the 50's, when did this bug up someones ass change things? I like the old way of EVERYONE doing there own thing and not getting bent of shape. Just my
Old 11-15-2007, 11:44 AM

This is a portion of an email that was forwarded to everyone at my work a few days ago:

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.

My confession:
I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, "Merry Christmas" to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu. If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.

Quick Reply: "Jolly laughter" is deemed offensive...