The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

July's Just a Bad Month For Me...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 03:44 PM

July's Just a Bad Month For Me...

First I was bedridden for 5-days with the "mystery" intestinal disorder, losing 14lbs (not in a good way either!). The week before I was "lucky" enough to get to pay $800 to have my HHR's A/C condenser replaced (after a dime-sized rock took out the whole condenser).

If that weren't enough, Thursday morning I was carrying a load of boxes out and tripped on a curb. Not knowing it was there I hit it "full swing" with my right foot, which sent me tumbling onto the cement. I knew I bruised it badly, but mostly my pride was hurt. Iced it up thursday night.

Friday it was sore (to be expected), so I tried to stay off it most of the day. Iced it up a WHOLE bunch Friday evening. About 10pm I took 3 Tylenol extra strength's and hit the hay early. Well, sleep never happened - as soon as I got in bed that thing started feeling like someone was jabbing knives into the top of my foot! I kept waiting for the 'pain reliever' to kick in, but it just kept getting worse.

Now, I'm not the kind to go to the hospital - in fact, I usually have to be forced. But I finally I told my wife; "hey, this is getting really bad, I'm going to the ER." (Didn't want her to have to drive me, better for her and our 23-month-old to just get some rest.) So I grabbed the biggest pair of sandals I had and DANG! - my foot wouldn't even fit!

Got in the HHR and drove (of couse it was my "gas pedal" foot!), to the hospital. After an HOUR wait it was x-rayed, then after TWO hours someone finally comes to tell me what wrong; broken metatarsal bone. I looked at the doc and said - well, WHAT ABOUT PAIN MANAGEMENT DUDE! Can't believe they just let you sit around all that time without even a shot or something!?! Doc orders an "anti-inflammatory" shot for me, but since I'm driving myself - they can't give me anything for the pain...so he writes a perscription.

So, about 1:30am I hobble out of there and drive to the 24-hour pharmacy. Of course it's now raining - in Southern California. And 90-degrees at 1:30am. I exit the offramp and start looking for this Rite-Aid. Wouldn't ya know it - they are repaving the whole fricken street right here at 1:30am! The street is all scaped up and bumpy, and I'm creep-crawling by in my slammed HHR, trying not to hurt anything. Kooks with flashlights are waving frantically "Hurry up, c'mon, c'mon!" Hey, - screw you buddy. I'm not going to trash HHR1 on your account. Foot gets more painful...

I finally locate the Rite-Aid pharmacy. Praise God, It's got a drive-through! No one is there or even in the remote vicinity. I hand the guy my perscription and he says "dropping off?" "No," I reply, "I've got a broken foot...I'll wait." Pharmacy dude looks at me and says; "it'll be about 20-minutes." 20-minutes? To put a few pills in a bottle, - man, I gotta get me a job like that! More pain ensues...

Finally, at 1:50am, pills in hand, I begin the trek back to the freeway. Of course now my side of the street is freshly paved and a bunch of sticky asphalt is clicking and sticking all up in my lake pipes and fenderwells. Aaarrrgghh! More guys with flahlights yelling "move it, buddy!" I just want to get out of the car and kick.....oh wait, my foot is broken!

On the freeway it's a quick 10-minute blast home, and finally - at 2am. I pop 2 Vicadin and hit the sack. Mama and the little man are sleeping soundly and all is well in the world.

Sorry for venting, but I thought someone might enjoy the monolouge.

I'm thankful to be alive ( I guess), and VERY thankful for vicadin!

But I sure hope August gets better......
Old 07-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Founding Member

Thanks for sharing. It's stuff like that although terrible for you, when I think my times are tough, I think of fellas and stories like yours and think, "I've got it easy".

Your story telling makes me giggle!

Hope you get to feelin less painfull here soon, we want HHR stuff!
Old 07-29-2006, 04:04 PM

Your story reminds me of some of my past. Sometimes testing comes when we don't think we could deal with another thing. The tests have a way of producing character. The character seems to be one of accepting this with humor and thankfulness.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:11 PM

That's too bad Mike. Sorry to hear about yet more woes for you.
Take your Vicadin and take it easy,
like you can do anything else while taking that stuff.

Get Well Soon
Orders from the chevyhhr.net gang
Old 07-29-2006, 04:18 PM

Boy Mike I can relate!! I wrecked my hhr that night 4 hours later have the wife drag me to the er pain and swelling from head to toes cant rememmber crap (concusion) so i am in the er for 8 hrs test after test nurses stab me 13 times before hitting a vein for the iv for a iodine needed ct scan!! no pain med what so ever due to (the concusion) sit up please get on this table please get on this other table please AAARGGGGG!!! so any way get out of the er have to go talk to police to file a report 4 hrs later im outa there with a ticket for failure to reduce speed to avoid a accident( I fell asleep and dont rememmber flooring it???) so what ever I finally get home to see a septic pump truck in my yard?? father in law was there oh your septic was full 180.00 to pump it dry great what ever im goin inside to sleep 10 minutes later Uh honey my dad needs to talk to you (septic walls a caved in have to dig and purchase a new one 4000.!!!!!) ok i`m gonna go hang myself so i can get some sleep now!! oh yeah and then my father in law tells me the window in my far north west corner of my house has a rotten sill no biggy get new boards and were puttin in a door there any way 20 minutes later Uh tony the sill (main support 8x10 beam on foundation in that wall is completely rotten!!!!) screw it i grab my father and brother in law drag them to my other house in next town over, I say there pick a couple of rail road ties 44 to choose from and use them to replace the support beam (hey those are perfect they say!) so finally i get home AGAIN check my mail and guess whats in my box?? My new stubby ant and smoothie lock knobs!! LOL But it all worked out got my new 2 lt orange with the woody kit and put my socal stuff on it!! they look great by the way Mike!! ended up getting leather int. sunroof,6 cd,17 inch polished wheels and for 8000 less than my other hhr so it turned out ok in the end! But i know first hand when things go wrong they can go horribly wrong!! later the freak!
Old 07-29-2006, 04:21 PM

Sorry to hear that Mike, keep ya head up (or foot). Hope your felling a lil better bro.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:56 PM

Sorry to hear that Mike.
I hope your foot feels better. Also hope that you get all that crap off your HHR.
Well you just sit back and relax. Spend some time with your wife and son.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:16 PM

Good news Mike, it's almost August.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:27 PM

Hope you feel better Mike and remember when taking Vicodin if type your words will slur!
Old 07-29-2006, 05:49 PM

Gotchacharlesthanksalotbuddy!

Quick Reply: July's Just a Bad Month For Me...