The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Jury Duty Scam - WYA

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Exclamation Jury Duty Scam - WYA

I got this heads-up from Bill (Onie) through e-mail

Subject: Jury Duty Scam

Take a couple minutes and let your friends and family know about this.

JURY Duty Scam

Pass this on to your grown children. This has been verified by the FBI (their link is also included below). Please pass this on to everyone in your email address book. It is spreading fast so be prepared should you get this call. Most of us take those summonses for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty that a new and ominous kind of fraud has surfaced.

The caller claims to be a jury DUTY coordinator. If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give out any of this information and bingo, your identity was just stolen.

The fraud has been reported so far in 11 states, including Oklahoma, Texas, Illinois, and Colorado. This (swindle) is particularly insidious because they use intimidation over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by pretending they are with the court system.

The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites , warning consumers about the fraud.

Check it out here: http://www.fbi.gov/page2/june06/jury_scams060206.htm

And here: http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp

Yep! It's true

Please make sure and pass this on!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Wish I had seen this a couple of days ago. I had someone do this to me but luckily (I can't believe I'm saying this) I had gotten pulled over earlier that day for a brake light being out. I didn't get arrested then so I knew there was something weird going on when they called
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM

I remember hearing about this.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up.... I sent this to my Father.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:04 AM

If I get someone calling me asking for information, I usually say something like "I am in the middle of bathing my infant son / changing my daughters diaper / etc, can I get your phone number and call you back?" They will never give it to you. If they press the issue I say "So you want me to put you above my son / daughter, give me your supervisors name and transfer me right now" usually ends with a click.
My signature says it all.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:48 AM

I don't have a land line so I am not too worried about it. The only person that answers my cell phone is me and I don't give my number to anyone. The people that have it are people that are important to me (parents, siblings, partner, kids). I can't believe that people are stupid enough to fall for these things still.....well, yeah, I guess I can.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 AM

Just got a summons for jury duty... Would have rather it been this scammer on the phone....
Old 05-06-2010, 12:01 PM

The only real way to beat jury duty is to not register to vote.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 PM

I thought that until I moved to CA.... they use DMV records.... Must go by state rules on that.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rooney
The only real way to beat jury duty is to not register to vote.
Yeah, but I had to vote for Kucinich!

Quick Reply: Jury Duty Scam - WYA