The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Just an announcement

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 05:48 PM

Just an announcement

I havent really been keeping up.Ive been busy with school but just thought i would let everyone know i will be attending duquesne university in pittsburgh this coming school year and then hopefully go to law school after that.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:49 PM

I meant "an" in the title
Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 PM

thats good man,, keep your plans and have goals and make em happen,, best of luck
Old 04-22-2008, 06:50 PM

and as a Lawyer you can prosecute these oil companies for gouging us with a class action law suit
Old 04-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
and as a Lawyer you can prosecute these oil companies for gouging us with a class action law suit
I'm surprised one hasn't happened yet.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 PM

congratulations!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:39 PM

Fixed the title for you Congrats and good luck.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Steelcity
I havent really been keeping up.Ive been busy with school but just thought i would let everyone know i will be attending duquesne university in pittsburgh this coming school year and then hopefully go to law school after that.
Congratulations!!! GO DUKES!!! You should be proud of the hard work and accomplishments that got you to college!

I'm a counselor at the University of CA and this being the season for admissions, I'll pass on advise we give to students: your major isn't your career and law schools don't care what your major is as long as you do WELL in it and do well on the LSAT.

Volunteer, do internships, study abroad, get to know your instructors (letters of rec!), and write, write, write...it seems students just want business, medicine or law when they get to college, so make sure law really is what you want!

(I start my doctoral program in the fall!)

Last edited by afs9; 04-22-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: errata
Old 04-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by afs9
I'm a counselor at the University of CA and this being the season for admissions, I'll pass on advise we give to students: your major isn't your career and law schools don't care what your major is as long as you do WELL in it and do well on the LSAT.

Volunteer, do internships, study abroad, get to know your instructors (letters of rec!), and write, write, write...it seems students just want business, medicine or law when they get to college, so make sure law really is what you want!
Coming from someone who's graduated from law school in the last decade, yeah, your major DOES make a difference once you're there. People with a business, science, or math degree tend to do better with analysis and get higher grades in the courses that matter. People who have a speech, poli sci, underwater basketweaving, or the like liberal studies degrees tend to do better in the throwaway classes like client counseling, moot court, and mediation. People with English degrees wind up inheriting the Earth because they can write better than everyone else and usually graduate at the top of the class, thereby guaranteeing that they will get the job at BigLaw and will not be eating Mac and Cheese for dinner and driving an HHR on a public defender's salary.

Good luck at the Duq. Take your time, enjoy it, and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Coming from someone who's graduated from law school in the last decade, yeah, your major DOES make a difference once you're there. People with a business, science, or math degree tend to do better with analysis and get higher grades in the courses that matter. People who have a speech, poli sci, underwater basketweaving, or the like liberal studies degrees tend to do better in the throwaway classes like client counseling, moot court, and mediation. People with English degrees wind up inheriting the Earth because they can write better than everyone else and usually graduate at the top of the class, thereby guaranteeing that they will get the job at BigLaw and will not be eating Mac and Cheese for dinner and driving an HHR on a public defender's salary.

Good luck at the Duq. Take your time, enjoy it, and don't sweat the small stuff.

What he said!
hhrCrafty, may I borrow some of that to pass on to my students?!
And yes, I agree that the more of a quantitative background you have, the better you will do on the LSAT (thus law school!).

Quick Reply: Just an announcement