The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

LEFTY PC Case

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 PM

Tom- I'm sticking with XP SP2 for right now

Goose
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by CrashMan82
The original ATX spec was laid out for airflow and more importantly heat flow... air enters at the bottom over the drives, cool air goes up the board from bottom to top and over the CPU heat sink then the air now at it's warmest, is exhausted by (the 2nd hottetst component) the PSU and/or an 80mm fan just below it.

Putting the board 'upside down' puts the CPU at the bottom, so now warm(er) air is moving over most of the board and warming up the componenst like the north and southbridge of the chipset which typically are very heat sensitive and typically always rely on passive cooling...

Now, that said, as long as there's plenty of good airflow (at least 1 80mm intake at the bottom and 1 80mm exhaust at the top) you'll probably never see a problem. And modern coolers are much more efficient then even 5 years ago.

Not saying you will have heat problems by any strech, just explaining the 'why' to anyone that may be wondering why boards weren't typically mounted this way. Modern cooling probably smooths out the concerns of a 12 year old design just fine

BTX layout was more of an 'upside down' ATX, but aparently BTX has already been shelved...

J
I believe that's why the system has a bottom mounted PSU & exhausts it seperately. Two 120mm fans in the front, one in the rear, and a 250mm fan on the side should keep it cool enough. Yeah, I thought the BTX format made a lot of thermal sense, but did it ever die a miserable death. Reminds me of RAMUS minus the lawsuits. Do appreciate the added info though!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:40 PM

I've been a system builder for many many years, and I used to build those big ugly beige monsters at a rate of about 2-3 a month. Then those beige monsters turned into black/silver/neon monsters, and with the amount of cooling required to run them sound like a 747 at take off. Personally a bit of bling doesn't impress me in the slightest. A cathode here and there doesn't make your system run any faster! Since then, I've seen the light (so to speak) and have for the last 5 years ONLY built Shuttle (Mini-ATX) systems.

They are small, virtually quiet, and look amazing. I have 2 systems in my office with the new one being the following:

SN27P2 with AMD Athlon 64 5600+ (it runs at 800MHz which makes it bench almost of good as the 6000+ for less money)
2 x Seagate 320GB SATA Drives (No RAID)
XFX GeForce 8600 GTS (Factory Overclocked)
LiteON Dual Layer DVD Burner
4GB Crucial Ballistixs Memory (PC6400) (4 x 1GB)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit (OEM edition is $199)
2 x Samsung 913T 19" LCD Monitors (I could never go back to 1 monitor!)

It runs amazingly well, is quiet as anything, and runs positively cool. And before anybody asks why I went for AMD.

1. The AMD version was $100 cheaper for the exact same specs.
2. The AMD 5600+ was bang for buck cheaper than the same priced Intel C2D.

Highly recommend them - http://www.shuttle.com
Old 09-17-2007, 09:03 PM

Same here brit... though I did build the bling, water cooled, custom paint, custom windows, glowey fans, glowey sleeved PSUs... everything (before you could just buy it off the rack mind you )

I now have 3 Shuttles, an Antec Sonata, an Antec Media center, and the most 'blingy' case is a Thermaltake Tsunami.

Simple and classy comes full circle :)

My 'main' system is very similar to yorus only ATi X1950xtx, 5200+ and a 76gb 'Raptor' drive that just flies :) I put mine together about a year ago when the 5200+ was just coming on the market along with the 1950, they both offered better performance for a better price then the competition... at the time at least.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:42 PM

I now have 3 Shuttles, an Antec Sonata, an Antec
Media center, and the most 'blingy' case is a Thermaltake Tsunami.

Simple and classy comes full circle :)
Yep, kudos to you for seeing past the 1990's!

My 'main' system is very similar to yorus only ATi X1950xtx, 5200+ and a 76gb 'Raptor' drive that just flies :) I put mine together about a year ago when the 5200+ was just coming on the market along with the 1950, they both offered better performance for a better price then the competition... at the time at least.
I'd been waiting and waiting for a new system for about a year or so. The prices of the CPU's were really putting me off though. Then AMD slashed the x2 processors and I couldn't resist. I think my system cost me about $1400 all-in, and I couldn't be happier. It absolutely kicks ass! I will NEVER go back to the ATX cases. I would have pumped for the ATI card too (always been a fan), but I wanted a DX10 card and they weren't out at the time. Despite it only being 256MB, it runs Bioshock really well in 1280 x 1024 so I'm not going to complain right now.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by britinamerica
I've been a system builder for many many years, and I used to build those big ugly beige monsters at a rate of about 2-3 a month. Then those beige monsters turned into black/silver/neon monsters, and with the amount of cooling required to run them sound like a 747 at take off. Personally a bit of bling doesn't impress me in the slightest. A cathode here and there doesn't make your system run any faster! Since then, I've seen the light (so to speak) and have for the last 5 years ONLY built Shuttle (Mini-ATX) systems.

They are small, virtually quiet, and look amazing. I have 2 systems in my office with the new one being the following:

SN27P2 with AMD Athlon 64 5600+ (it runs at 800MHz which makes it bench almost of good as the 6000+ for less money)
2 x Seagate 320GB SATA Drives (No RAID)
XFX GeForce 8600 GTS (Factory Overclocked)
LiteON Dual Layer DVD Burner
4GB Crucial Ballistixs Memory (PC6400) (4 x 1GB)
Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit (OEM edition is $199)
2 x Samsung 913T 19" LCD Monitors (I could never go back to 1 monitor!)

It runs amazingly well, is quiet as anything, and runs positively cool. And before anybody asks why I went for AMD.

1. The AMD version was $100 cheaper for the exact same specs.
2. The AMD 5600+ was bang for buck cheaper than the same priced Intel C2D.

Highly recommend them - http://www.shuttle.com
You forgot the 42 in 1 card reader. More of my client like this instead of the 3.5 floppy. Plus it adds 2-usb, 1-firewire, and 1-sata ports to the front of the case.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:45 PM

I missed the bling era...held on to my old stuff so long it went right by me.
This time I wanted smooooooth and silver, no frills, but I'm darn sure gonna get the lights!!

Had to look at DH's pretty thing for years now, and me with nuttin' shiny...
Old 10-01-2007, 02:02 PM

So, build complete.

broke my own requirement for the graphics, but her old system really was becoming unusable for her new-found graphics fun & photoshop CS2. I figured since I plan to run XP for at least another 2 yrs, I didn't need the DX10 graphics card now.

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 motherboard
Intel E6750 CPU
2GB Corsair XMS DDR2-800 CAS4 memory
HIS 512MB Radeon X1950pro factory OC'd
twin seagate .10 series 500GB sataII drives in RAID1
Samsung 20X DVD burner
Corsair HSX520 modular PSU
4 UV CCFL tubes
blue 120MM UV reactive fans x 3

pictures here. http://catz-cradle.com/galleries/Che...rig/index.html
Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM

Great choice on CPU

Looks great!

Goose
Old 10-01-2007, 07:57 PM

Nice looking machine, enjoy the new system..!!

Quick Reply: LEFTY PC Case