The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Liars! This is RIDICULOUS!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Good observation, redflyr. I would tend to agree.

P.S. Be careful talking about a formula flaw, JoeR may rip into you and call you ignorant...
just say that every condition can t be taken in to account... is there a link to his discussion about this?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by REDFLYR
very interesting... if you look through this forum... MPGs SSMPGs... some of those posts clain the same MPG as some of those ads mentioned... or very closes. HUM?

that s why you look at the epa sticker and try and figure what the actual MPG might be... the good news is that all the MFGs are supposed to use the same method to determine city/hwy... even if the formuala is flawed. that is why i always say that my avg mpg is based on so many miles

28.4 on a 2100 mile avg. you can assume that it is a mix of all kind of driving condition (winter/summer)

prioor to my last oil change (over 10,000 miles) we averagged 27.8 mpg
our 2006 2.4 auto 23/30 big print

18/27 city little print
26/35 hwy little print

SO I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT MY 06 HHR HAS AN EPA HWY MILEAGE OF 35 MILES TO THE GALLON

HAVE TO READ THE WHOLE STICKER
No dissagreement here...EXCEPT THAT IT IS COMMONLY ASSUMED THAT THE ADVERTIZED MPG ARE THE BIG NUMBERS! Not the small numbers. THERE ISNT A 38 ANYWHERE ON THOSE CARS STICKER...BIG OR SMALL. It's a lie in bold black large print. Period.

When is the last time you have seen 35mpg over an extended period. Exactly...... and your 23/30 big print is better than that first cars 20/28.

Don't let the liars off the hook. A car is a large expense that most have to commit to for 3-5 years. It's serious stuff.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

THis site is RIDICULOUS....

I wrote 4 paragraphs on how the MPG's are determined and tried to post it. THIS SITE DELETED ALL THAT DATA AND SAID I NEED TO BE SIGNED IN.

I had to be signed in to get to the "Reply To Thread" page.

Sorry for the thread jack....but this is getting very frustrating.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:22 PM

I hate when that happens. Seriously. It would p!ss me off, too.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
THis site is RIDICULOUS....

I wrote 4 paragraphs on how the MPG's are determined and tried to post it. THIS SITE DELETED ALL THAT DATA AND SAID I NEED TO BE SIGNED IN.

I had to be signed in to get to the "Reply To Thread" page.

Sorry for the thread jack....but this is getting very frustrating.

LOL, snoop dog....LOL
Old 06-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Without writing a whole story again, I'll just say.....

All the vehicle manufacturers use EXACTLY the same method to determine MPG. Which is certified by the EPA. And that method is NOT A FORMULA.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:20 AM

What Snoopy said!

Some time ago I read the actual protocol proceedure for the tests. And it did change some this past year.

Bottom line: The advertised EPA numbers should be considered useful for comparing different vehicles. As for real world numbers, just consider them as an average ballpark, hence the famous term "your mileage may vary".

Lone Ranger, I want to publicy apologize for using the term "ignorant" regarding one of your earlier posts. It was not meant as a personal attack. Unfortunately some imply that what they heard or read (often false advertising claims) may be factual. My dictionary defines ignorant as "uninformed; unaware" and meant that, not trying to be derogatory. Opinions are great when it comes to things like colors, wheels, mods, etc. and they vary as much as gas mileage. But when it comes to factual topics, this forum will be much more valuable to all if topics like nitrogen in tires are kept scientifically accurate. Otherwise the scammers will have easy pickings. The OP started this with a rant and I agree.

Let's all try to get along and make this forum a valuable resource rather than a means for propogating some of the myth, lore and outright scams out there.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Founding Member

That ad is for Suzuki's, what do we really care anyway!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
That ad is for Suzuki's, what do we really care anyway!
Stop by that dealership, you'll notice 10 NEW HHR's, one of them a white SS with ebony interior. I just wanted people to think before they believe a lot of the hype that has/will trip up some of our members. Many of the members here get the newest equipment always, try new products, test new products..etc. We all benifit from that knowledge, I just wanted to help by saying watch out of Dealerships (even those that sell the HHR) that lie and other worthless or unneeded products that make absurd claims.

Last edited by Clevelandhhrss; 06-28-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Founding Member

I was just bringing some other light to this as some are taking it way to personal....
I understand your point, with any purchase, a well educated consumer is less often taken for their money.

Let 'em print false HHR MPG claims, we're all over them!