The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Liars! This is RIDICULOUS!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 AM

ya know... when you were talking about seafoam i thought you were joking... thought it was the same as pro wash or pad eye covers... found out the hard way (sent an airman out to get a gal of pro wash ) that there was an actual stock number for pro wash...

news papers, radio and tv stations will advertise nearlly anything that gets paid for and that they can put a disclaimer on... so what s new there? most major engine product mfg make numerous products to improve this... remove that... increase... renew... last longer... make slicker... shinier.

some endorsed by professional car enthuiests. some people are gulible pr desperate or really don t care. remember mothballs... some guys swore by them and were willing to burn pistions each weekend.

i can prove that water will increases horse power (JUST DON T PUT IN YOUR GAS TANK). anyone remeber the guy that sold the water injection system that put water down the carburator throte? will the military has been using the same principle on aircraft for decades.

i ZMax my engine because aircraft some mechs have been doing basically the same thing for years.... just a different product. do i get better mileage or HP... prob not... it s just a feeling i have... just like paying extra for K&N products... or using Moble 1.

wasn t there post recently that Amzol(?) would void your warrenty because it wasn t certified by Chevy... SAE? what about the orange coolant that eats up plastic intake manifolds... (even my best mech told me to change out the coolant on my HHR)

don t NASCARs use nitrogen in their tires? the good old boys in the booth are always talking about cold and hot tires. so what does the nitrogen do for them... got to be something.

everything is hyped... some good some bad... you can get just as bagged on wine that cost a buck... so who is more in the bag?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by REDFLYR
tell us what the average is after 8000 miles... that will mean more

2100 plus miles since reset 28.7 mpg

I am not sure if you meant ME after 8000 miles....But anyway ill have 8000 at the end of july.....grrr I need to stop lovin/drivin this car so much I got it 4 days after my birthday March 31st.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by REDFLYR

don t NASCARs use nitrogen in their tires? the good old boys in the booth are always talking about cold and hot tires. so what does the nitrogen do for them... got to be something.
Uhh, fire supression come to mind.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Nascar and the aircraft industry use nitrogen in tires for a specific reason: water vapor. Water vapor will follow the gas laws in most circumstances, until the temps reach a point where that vapor will turn to steam, drastically increasing pressures. Possible in those applications; not likely in the everyday auto.

I remember reading something about fire issues in aircraft also.

Right, Clevelandhhrss?? You're the chem. engr.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Buddy of mine raced short tracks, he used nitrogen because he didn't want to lug a gas powered compressor around. 1 3000psi bottle of nitrogen would last an entire season regulated down to 40psi for filling tires....
Old 06-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmm, that's really interesting logic, IMO.

He gives up, maybe, a 50# 2 x 2 size item for a 5 ft. high, 100# item that absolutely needs to be secured while being transported and stored .

The gas/ fire safety on the compressor COULD/WOULD be the only consideration.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:14 PM

aircraft go from 0 ft to well over 40,000 ft... the volume of air/nitrogen in a aircraft tire is going to have very little to do whether a tire is going to catch fire and burn... same same with race car tires.... even if you were fill them with halon. tires are rubber compounds and they burn.

race tires are inflated in 1/4 lb increments (cold) nitrogen is good for that type of tolerances....

don t want moisture freezing in aircraft tires... tolerance not so much... 14 yrs in naval aviation did i hear that tires were filled with nitrogen to prevent fires. nitrogen was used to service most pnemantics.... that s why we had nitrigen carts.

here s a link that discusses the pro and cons... http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/car...itrogen_a1.asp think i ll save my pennies and use the dirty ucky air from my compressor
Old 06-29-2008, 01:16 PM

It was far easier to make a bottle bracket than a mount to secure a compressor. At the time, the only gas powered compressors available were about $2000, and just putting a 5hp B&S motor on an old electric compressor wasn't working out well, you had to drain the tank to 0 psi to be able to pull the starter rope. Not sure how the commercial ones got around that.

Added benefit was that the nitrogen would fill the tire in about 5 seconds, and made swapping tires in the pit much easier. Air tools seemed to like the nitrogen better too, no water vapor issues.

BTW, this was back around 1988....
Old 06-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks....makes a little more sense !!
Old 06-29-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mongo
It was far easier to make a bottle bracket than a mount to secure a compressor. At the time, the only gas powered compressors available were about $2000, and just putting a 5hp B&S motor on an old electric compressor wasn't working out well, you had to drain the tank to 0 psi to be able to pull the starter rope. Not sure how the commercial ones got around that.

Added benefit was that the nitrogen would fill the tire in about 5 seconds, and made swapping tires in the pit much easier. Air tools seemed to like the nitrogen better too, no water vapor issues.

BTW, this was back around 1988....

mongo... did you race or pit in the eighties? did you know a driver named Ray Oban? race all over the states