The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Living With Mountain Lions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by soccerjunky
thanks for the advice on the bobcat...most of my friends say shoot him asap...but he hasn't harmed my pets so far
where in texas are you located (city?)

and yeah, dont kill the bobcat unless you have to (via. it come after you or pets)
Old 11-01-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by halfpanel08
ya, i shoot the coyotes . ive never killed a bobcat.
we also kill off the wild pigs/boars and armadillos.
I wonder if the wild boar would be decent eating? I mean, its basically a wild pig, right? I say BBQ that bad boy up. Tasty.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:06 PM

ya, i shoot the coyotes . ive never killed a bobcat.
we also kill off the wild pigs/boars and armadillos.
Not sure why you shoot armadillos, but don't want to get into a pro/anti shooting issue (FYI, I used to but don't anymore (kill that is, except when necessary)). Anyway, don't touch armadillios, they are a proven carrier of leprosy (plenty of real info on the internet about that) even if the percentage that carry is low, that is just too scary a disease to take any chances IMHO.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by kwboydston
Bob Cats are cool to watch, any wild live is for that matter. however reguardless to what PETA may say good wildlife mgt. is the succsess to a healthy wildlife population. when you start seeing female whitetale deer with antlers there is a genitic problem due to over population from lack of natural preditors hence hunting seasons. But the big cat issue in Cal. is going to be around I think for a while as man encroches on their area....
I agree with most of what you are saying, but most of California is public land (like much of the U.S.), over 100 million acres Federal (including a lot of desert of course), about 3 million acres state parks, then about 27 million in private agriculture, and a growing number of acres in conservation easements, so there should be enough land for "co-existence". A lot of the critters just find it easier to go where the food is easiest to get, which means near humans (for the big cats, a fat goat in a pen beats running down a deer any day). For a short period of time we did not own dogs, and the number of animals that moved in near us was hilarious (racoons, possums, bobcats), we even had a wild (feral) pig give birth and keep her piglets about 100 feet from the house, we think maybe 'cause she felt that the coyotes would be less of a problem for her if she stayed near us.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
I wonder if the wild boar would be decent eating? I mean, its basically a wild pig, right? I say BBQ that bad boy up. Tasty.
Pig (javalina) season is big in AZ. And yes, they barby very well. Although if done as whole, it takes about 15 hours.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:01 PM

where in texas are you located (city?)

and yeah, dont kill the bobcat unless you have to (via. it come after you or pets)

texarkana
Old 11-01-2008, 07:02 PM

Tastes like tilapia I think...
Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 PM

You still remember my Tilapia the turd-eating fish post...
Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 PM

You still remember my Tilapia the turd-eating fish post...
That was one of the more memorable threads recently!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:05 PM

We've had a few sightings of mountain lions recently in our community. We live in a rural, gated subdivision-on a mountain, almost surrounded by river. The lot sizes are large-we have two that are about 7 acres combined. Anyway, a neighbor called last week to say that a deer in his yard had been attacked and killed in a horrific way-they heard terrible screaming and found the deer ravaged with large claw marks down each side. They called G&F to come out. They took pics a confirmed that it was a mountain lion attack. There were at least two as the animal had been pulled in different directions. They told him to watch his children and pets and report any sightings. He came to us with pics and told us the attack took place not 200 yards from out house. He knew that our grandchildren were here alot and we have a little house dog that is outside at times. This was extremely rare for our area, but becoming more prevalent.

Quick Reply: Living With Mountain Lions