The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Looking to buy a house

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:07 PM

Looking to buy a house

My wife and i have realized we are tired of paying rent, so we are wanting to buy a house. Is there some good sites i can use to find houses? Where do i even start this process? Also since i know there is some military/prior military people here, how does the VA loans work?

Josh
Old 01-06-2007, 09:35 PM

well va home loan is complicated in a simple sense, you will pay a % of the house for "paper work" to use the VA home loan (how they make some money) it is some what complecated depending what you are buying, is it great? depends its better then an 80 20 loan. Ok i am going to cut to the chase i have been drinking and can go on and on abou this ( i am only 22 but know a lot about real este) BEST ADVICE
1. drive around the area you want to buy in
2. talk to people
3. look in the news paper for weeks to compare see what people are asking
4 go to open houses by your self so you dont feel like you owe some body something
5. once you know what you want find an agent
6. do you have USAA?
email me and i'll talk when completely sober
Old 01-07-2007, 08:03 AM

Joshua, the best thing you can do is first get preaproval for a home loan. This is best so that you don't waste time looking at houses you cant afford and if you do find that perfect place you don't have to wait on financing. 2nd you want to find a realtor that you like. Make sure you are comfortable with them as they are helping you with a very large purchase. 3rd you can look at alot homes online. Go to any sites like Century21 etc and they will have homes listed in your area. Something to know is that it is definately a buyers market in most areas right now so you should be in control. When you do find the home make sure you get a good inspection from a reputable inspector because unforseen problems can get expensive. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:13 AM

Hey, I just looked at houses in Norman, OK on Coldwell Banker and Century 21 sites. Wasn't sure if this was the area you wanted to buy in or not but one site has 20 listings and the other 33. This is a good way to get started as you can plug in price, #of bedrooms, etc. and get an idea of the cost for the type of home you are looking for.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
Joshua, the best thing you can do is first get preaproval for a home loan. This is best so that you don't waste time looking at houses you cant afford and if you do find that perfect place you don't have to wait on financing. 2nd you want to find a realtor that you like. Make sure you are comfortable with them as they are helping you with a very large purchase. 3rd you can look at alot homes online. Go to any sites like Century21 etc and they will have homes listed in your area. Something to know is that it is definately a buyers market in most areas right now so you should be in control. When you do find the home make sure you get a good inspection from a reputable inspector because unforseen problems can get expensive. Good luck and have fun!
+1 good advice.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:33 PM

Thanks sicks.oh. Though I've never used it, I do hold a real estate license in Indiana.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Definitely get prequalified! I have friends who have had several offers fall through on their homes because the buyers could not qualify. Also, prequalification will let you know how expensive of a house you can buy and what a downpayment will do for you.