The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Lumina Squeaky Wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:27 PM

Is the noise a constant rhythmic pattern of chirp relating to speed or a variable chirping just getting more noisy when you go faster. I just remembered my T-Bird had an issue with the lower ball joint-it would sqeek/chirp as I was driving due to the travel of the suspension-the faster i went the louder more pronounced the chirp was due to more suspension travel and the roadway. I pushed up and down on the car to find out the ball joint was bad and out of grease (factory sealed). Press the car up and down on that side to see if the noise is recreated. I then confirmed it by using a needle tip on my grease gun and injected grease into the joint, drove the car for a few blocks, noise went away, then replaced the joint.

Motor & tranny mounts went from the fall and the motor/tranny is at a slight angle causing a bearing issue on the drivers side of the tranny where the axle slips into.

Just some Thursday night thoughts... I better quit now before I get a brain fart. 4am work in the morning.

Last edited by BlackknighT; 11-19-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 PM

Did you check to see if that heavy brake dust side has a frozen caliper?

Otherwise, these guys have you covered.

If you decide to have it looked at. I'm not sure if he does alignment type of work. But Hoover Auto on Fenton Rd is a great place to deal with. Old Man Hoover is a honest mechanic.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:53 PM

Uh oh...this is starting to sound more and more expensive! I tried pushing up and down on the suspension, but it doesn't make the sound. It is related to speed. It goes faster the faster I go. Not necessarily louder as I go faster though.

So would you think an alignment would help? Like if something is bad would they find it when trying to do an alignment?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Uh oh...this is starting to sound more and more expensive! I tried pushing up and down on the suspension, but it doesn't make the sound. It is related to speed. It goes faster the faster I go. Not necessarily louder as I go faster though.

So would you think an alignment would help? Like if something is bad would they find it when trying to do an alignment?
Yes they have to check things to do a proper alignment, the Guy Chris suggested sounds like a good place.

Especially after driving off the side of a loading dock (about a 5 foot drop) while going around 15-20mph.

Who do you know the alignment is still fine ? Crystal ball ?

Cars can get knocked out of alignment bumping a curb..
Old 11-19-2010, 02:47 AM

My bet is its the hub assembly... Any wagers?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by RedwoodPerch
My bet is its the hub assembly... Any wagers?
That's what doing research has led me to think, but really I have no idea. I found one instance online where someone's symptoms sound almost the same....

As for the alignment, the car is straight as an arrow when driving down the road. Ok, well it' pulls a tiny bit to the right, but it's done that since I bought it. The jump didn't do anything to that part of it. Or is there more to an alignment than making the car go straight?

I tried looking at the wheel to see if it looks bent or crooked... Half the times it looks slightly off, then the other half it looks perfect, so it's in my imagination.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Also, I did notice today that the brake dust seems to be getting worse. There's tons all over my drivers side hubcap (in fact, the whole drivers side), but there's hardly any on the passenger side. I just washed the car Monday and have only gone about 100 miles. I'm wondering if we didn't put something on right after we took it apart the last time...

I think I'll take the whole thing apart tonight and look at it, then put it back together.

I may just want to see how much an alignment is going to cost me and see about having one done.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:33 PM

When the car is jacked up, tires off, should the rotor spin fairly easily? I Have to pull on it quite a bit to get it to move, and it almost sounds like it makes a grinding noise. It's really hard to tell since I don 't really try spinning the rotors when nothing is wrong during a rotation or anything, so I don't know how it should be...
Old 11-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Should spin fairly easy with a slight drag....... Of course it's in neutral, right?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Should spin fairly easy with a slight drag....... Of course it's in neutral, right?
Yep it's in neutral.

Quick Reply: Lumina Squeaky Wheel...