The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Lumina Squeaky Wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
It apppears maybe a rivet(?) wet through the pad and is scrapping the rotor.

I second this..... and it's probably the rivet that held that clip in place.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

You bet.

Now it's time for dinner and a long ride !! Good Luck, "Kid"
Old 11-19-2010, 05:59 PM

We took the pads off a few nights ago to first look at it. It's probably been off a handful of times since they were installed (back in '06). I did notice what you are talking about though where it appears as if the pad has moved.

Also, I couldn't find anything that would be digging into the rotor. Maybe something was there but perhaps it fell out when I removed it or something....?

So would I need new pads/rotors?
Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

In one of the pictures I can see the front wheels of the jack.Just what area of the car body are you jacking up? Hope it's not the entire front of the car teetering on a single jack. These cars don't like that.
Yes,a loose brake pad equals a vibrating pad. Brake pad squeals are caused by the pad vibrating(or wear indicator in the case of worn brakes)
As for you driving off a loading dock.I doubt that a brake pad clip is all you broke. I would put it on a lift and inspect everything very carefully.All suspension parts are very suspect with that type of impact. Exhaust parts-check all connections and hangers. Even body panels will flex or bend. Not trying to scare you but your car needs a bumper to bumper look over by someone with experience in these type of situations.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
In one of the pictures I can see the front wheels of the jack.Just what area of the car body are you jacking up? Hope it's not the entire front of the car teetering on a single jack. These cars don't like that.
Yes,a loose brake pad equals a vibrating pad. Brake pad squeals are caused by the pad vibrating(or wear indicator in the case of worn brakes)
As for you driving off a loading dock.I doubt that a brake pad clip is all you broke. I would put it on a lift and inspect everything very carefully.All suspension parts are very suspect with that type of impact. Exhaust parts-check all connections and hangers. Even body panels will flex or bend. Not trying to scare you but your car needs a bumper to bumper look over by someone with experience in these type of situations.
The jack was still under the car because the jack stands were in the way of it, so the car was resting on stands, not the jack.

As for the impact of the jump, this happened back in September. I've driven quite a bit since then (few thousand miles), and really have had nothing other than this chirping wheel. We did inspect every inch of the bottom of that car, and we could find no damage (other than a few scrapes). No damage to the engine, transmission, or exhaust. The body panels were fine as well. The suspension is still the same as it was before, which is fine. Honestly I don't know how I got away without damaging anything, but I did. Like I said, I even scrapped the rear bumper, but not the muffler hanging under it....no idea how, but I guess I was just lucky.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:39 PM

Sounds like it needs to be painted orange with a rebel flag on the roof.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:47 PM

Hey Kid-googled 1999 chevy lumina last night and your pic came up. It was the 3rd pic on the 1st page last night, now it's on the 13. Pic is linked to:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1440&bih=605

Nice pics by the way.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Hey Kid-googled 1999 chevy lumina last night and your pic came up.
Ha ha, that's awesome!!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:50 PM

Dumb question, but if I were to install new pads and rotors, would I need a new alignment as well?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 PM

Not because of the new rotors and pads, but after a 5 foot fall I would have it checked.

Quick Reply: Lumina Squeaky Wheel...