The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Mass. High School Killing

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 06:12 PM

Mass. High School Killing

Student Fatally Stabbed at Mass. H.S.
By DAVID WEBER, Associated Press Writer
4 hours ago

FRAMINGHAM, Mass. - A 15-year-old student was stabbed to death Friday morning in the hallway of a high school in this affluent Boston suburb, and a classmate was charged with the killing.

James Alenson was stabbed in a fight with another male student before classes began at Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School, District Attorney Gerard Leone said. The fight began in a bathroom and spilled into the hallway, Leone said.

Alenson, a freshman, was pronounced dead at a Concord hospital.

The 16-year-old suspect, who was identified in court papers as John Odgren, of Princeton, was to be arraigned as an adult on a murder charge Friday afternoon, Leone's office said. In first- and second-degree murder cases in Massachusetts, anyone age 14 or older is automatically tried as an adult.

Leone, who would not comment on a possible motive, called the fight an "isolated incident" between the two students. "There is no thought or belief that anyone else is in danger," he said.

Mary Clemens, a 17-year-old senior, said that when she arrived at the campus, students had gathered in the cafeteria.

"We were told by an administrator that someone was stabbed and it was bad, that that person was taken to the hospital and someone else had been taken to the police," Clemens said.

Students were sent home that morning.

"We're obviously heartbroken dealing with this," said John Ritchie, the school's superintendent and principal.

About 1,600 students attend the school, which is about 17 miles west of Boston.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:44 PM

No way, What is going on with our Kids today!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Banned

Once again something minor gets blown up in the rich suburbs. I love the media! Violence and stabbings is nothing new or special in our city school system. That's why my wife made me buy a house in the suburbs. No matter what section of the city I showed her or how nice the house was she refused to let our kids go to through the Rochester school system. But I still contend that suburb kids are way more fu**ed up than city kids after growing up in both environments. I was trapped in my mid-teen years in the suburbs and I couldn't wait until I was old enough to move back to the city. Now look at me back in the suburbs as an old man worrying about my kids.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Sudbury and Lincoln are some of the wealthiest 'burbs west of Boston. The "stabber" has a long history of mental health issues. It's not like this is an everyday occurence around here. And yes, Sudbury is 7 miles from where I live, so I do know a bit about the area.

Oh yeah......the "bad guy" has Asperger's, a type of autism.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Banned

School violence is big here! Most stabbings don't result in death though. That only happens to like every 1 in 20. Slashing to disfigure seems to be more popular with the kids. Stabbings out, slashing in!
Old 01-19-2007, 07:49 PM

Spank a little kid, go to jail, if bill becomes law
Assemblywoman Sally Lieber, D-Mountain View, wants to outlaw spanking children up to 3 years old. If she succeeds, California would become the first state in the nation to explicitly ban parents from smacking their kids.

I say there should be a law that Parents have to spank their child.... Somebody has to start diciplining the kids again.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:03 PM

wow! What the world gotten to?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by O6ChevyHHR
wow! What the world gotten to?
You don't have much violence in your school O6? Around here our city schools have armed security and metal detectors. Not in the suburb schools though. I have a vocational school up the street from where I work and the balls on these kids amazes me. I have seen kids literally light up a blunt as they are walking out of school and proceed to walk down the street with what appears to be no concern for the police or anything. They break into the cars of the factories that surround the school on their way home with no regard to the fact that they are within like 100 yards of their school. My place of employment has on the average of at least 10-15 vehicle break ins per year between our four buildings.

Last edited by captain howdy; 01-19-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:00 PM

How very tragic that is. It's very frightening having several grandchildren who are growing up and will be this age before so very long. Unfortunately this sort of violence has been going on for years and they haven't found a solution to stop it thus far. It seems to me that the parents, teachers and school officials are frightened by these kids and nothing of any real consequence is being done. Ever since the Columbine High School massacre, they have heightened security in our schools, but obviously not enough. We had that 16 year old girl killed in Bailey not so long ago.

Not sure what the solution is...but we need to figure something out. This has been going on for way to long.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Banned

I don't think there is a solution other than better parenting and playing an active roll in your child's life. A lot of parents seem to not care or not know about their children's activities. I also noticed that a lot of parent like to ignore their kids problems and signs of problems until it's too late. They are either in denial thinking "not my kid" or don't know how to properly approach the situation so they don't.

Quick Reply: Mass. High School Killing