The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Is it me or are car salesmen just a bunch of dee dee dee's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Three out of every four car dealers/salestaff/servicedepts are either arrogant a-holes or village idiots. At least that has been my experience. YMMV. Finding the other 25% who are normal is a large part of the game.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:13 PM

...it's a tough business to make a living in, these guys are trying to feed their families just like anyone else, and I am sure john q public isn't much better to deal with.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
...it's a tough business to make a living in, these guys are trying to feed their families just like anyone else, and I am sure john q public isn't much better to deal with.
Preach it. Even if you're an honest salesperson, almost all of your customers will treat you like crap just because they can. It'll harden your heart pretty fast in this business.

Worst day at the law office is better than the best day at the car lot.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:47 PM

I accually had a very good sales exsperiance salesmans name was Andrew Swindler yep his real name. His intro was Good afternoon Sir my name is..... offered his hand to shake told him my name and told him I was just looking. then he said,if you have any questions about any of our cars I will be over here (next car line). After that introduction I snagged this guy for all kinds of questions. if he didnt have the answear he went and got it. best car buy exsperiance I ever had. Now when i stop by they want to show my HHR to others on the lot as to what could be done to one.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:17 PM

I sold cars for a while (Volvos)... All I can say is IF I had greeted anyone that way (let-alone sales customer) I would have been S--t canned on the spot! But yes--a very tough biz with lots of rejection..
Old 08-11-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by diskullman
One time on a day off, I visited my local Cadillac dealer to try to test drive a CTS. I was in my weekend slob attire of T shirt & shorts. I was completely ignored in the showroom and on the lot. I was almost ready to pull out the money out of my wallet and wave it around syaing "hey, someone wants to buy a car here". Fortunately good sense occurred when I realized that they just don't need my business, and I walked out. I didn't think my attire would count, as this is the way I see almost every Escalade driver.
When I went in to buy Stitch I, I made sure both myself and my wife were dressed in fairly nice clothes, not necessarily suits and ties but dress casual - slacks and button-up shirts. It helps when you're going to get financed. Car salesmen tend to be as first-impression conscious as prom dates, so the fact that both me and Stacey chose to dress up a little bit for the trip to the dealership, I think, impressed Brian (my salesman at Paddock).

When I went to buy Stitch II, I'd already called Brian in advance with the car I wanted, so I didn't need to take so much care in my appearance that time, that and since I was a repeat customer, I probably could have walked in wearing a Speedo and they would've sold to me. (and trust me, I am someone who should never be allowed to wear a Speedo.)
Old 08-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by diskullman
My best car buying strategy was to bring my devolpmentally disabled son with me, and turn him loose in the showroom, tell him to push ALL the buttons, honk the horns, and so on. They can't wait to get me out of there.

One time on a day off, I visited my local Cadillac dealer to try to test drive a CTS. I was in my weekend slob attire of T shirt & shorts. I was completely ignored in the showroom and on the lot. I was almost ready to pull out the money out of my wallet and wave it around syaing "hey, someone wants to buy a car here". Fortunately good sense occurred when I realized that they just don't need my business, and I walked out. I didn't think my attire would count, as this is the way I see almost every Escalade driver.
That's a cute trick until something expensive breaks.

There's no way I would have approached you in that situation either. Car salesmen/women get a pretty good sense of who is buying today and who is wasting time after a few weeks on the job. By the time they get to the point where they're allowed to sell Cadillacs, they'll know if you're there on a day off just looking to kill some time and wrap out a new CTS or cut a check for a new Escalade. Time IS money for sales associates and if they're actually walking the lot looking for UPs, then they're not doing too well for the month to begin with.

I guess some people think it's funny to waste someone's time then laugh it up, but this is what these people do for a living. If I came to your job and took money out of your wallet, you probably wouldn't find it very funny either.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 PM

Next time bring your Glock, NO salesman will bother you for sure!
Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 PM

I have never treated a salesperson like crap...likewise I expect to be addressed as Sir, or even a simple hello, not "Hey Buddy, Dude, Chief" or whatever. No need for that, none at all. If that is your style on selling cars, more power to you...my style is if I am interested in buying a car, I will pass you over until I find a salesman that knows how to talk to a customer. I'm not sure where this stupid code of sales came up that the first salesman to greet me gets my business. I will not deal with you being greeted like that.

Sure is a tough business, I wouldn't do it but it goes with the territory if you choose to so you better have thick skin...that goes for all sales jobs. Treat potential customers with respect and 9 times out of 10 it will be returned

Goose
Old 08-11-2008, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
If I came to your job and took money out of your wallet, you probably wouldn't find it very funny either.
Ya'd be in handcuffs. LOL, just kidding.

I also concur, though, I always treat sales staff politely and if I'm seriously looking I make it known, if I'm just strolling around window shopping I let them know that, too. I know some people in auto sales and its not a job I'd want.... looooong days and only one day off a week, BUT if you have the talent you can make good money at it.... but again, at the expense of time off and regular hours. My friend used to make good money selling BMW, 'Cedes, Porsche, at a local Euro car sales plex, but he practically lived at the dealership. He is a natural born salesman, though. Could sell water to a drowning man.

Quick Reply: Is it me or are car salesmen just a bunch of dee dee dee's?