The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

mechanical advice ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 PM

mechanical advice ???

wondering if anyone has experience with these problems...i got a 98 izusu 4wd truck with 4.3 vortec v6 , it is the same as a s10.....it has been sitting for over a year...i saw a little smoke come from under the hood..it was coming from a big wiring harness that goes thru the firewall close to the driverside....then the dash started doing crazy things....then it would not even run...it blows the ignition fuse just by connecting the battery....i found the place where the wires were burnt...i wonder if i should just fix them and see what happens ?...or should i find out where they go and see if i can check that/those part/parts ?....also the gas still smells ok..i've added a few different things to the tank since it's been sitting...i know i could foul the plugs if the gas is bad , because i done it before...the plugs on that 4.3 are a real pita to change...should i take that gas out ?? ..if so what is the easiest way ??
Old 06-18-2009, 10:07 PM

If it is like a GM there is a port to test fuel press under the hood. Run a line off the fitting and you can use the in tank fuel pump to drain the tank. use a jumper at the fuel punp relay to run pump . That car/truck is just a S10 with a little Izusu change.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 PM

sounds like you have a wire that is making contact with ground somewhere. I would check at the firewall for chafing. if the insulation is gone on a hot wire (or a wire is pinched) it is going to burn and smoke. I have first hand experience with cabin filling noxious smoke when a wire got pinched under the dash of my friends 1980 Pinto (I know we should have let it burn)
Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 PM

also with sitting for year you may have had mice in there making a home out of the wiring....i'd do a thorough check otherwise you may burn some electronics, if not already.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:20 AM

the wiring was burnt before i parked it...it was the reason it was parked....the place that it burned is about 3-4 inches away from the firewall and doesn't seem to touch anything....there is some kind of white guey stuff inside the tape where it goes thru the firewall , + a nice big rubber gromet...there is also what looks like an anti std device over top of the tape...it seems to be a very well made vehicle , better than my hhr , and the only problem i ever had with it before this was the alternator went bad long before this wiring thing...it has about 120,000 miles , and i put it thru hell...but never off road....so , i still wonder if i should just fix the wires and try it , or try to check/test the parts that the wires go to ???...it seems very strange , to me , for the wires to burn without showing any wear at that point in the harness...i think something else may be bad , that caused the burning...but if so , i would think that a fuse should have blown...and also the fuse should have blown before the wire burned...it is all a little confusing to me.....and , yes , it is the same as a s10 except for the grill and bumpers , and the sticker on the side that reads hombre xs.