The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

For a moment, I missed my Vette today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 PM

For a moment, I missed my Vette today.

Until I passed a station and noted the cost of premium. BUT, it is true, I was in the HHR and I popped in my old Van Halen greatest hits CDR I mixed years ago. The Vette was a great car for jammin' on Van Halen. Here's a tribute to my favorite formerly owned car:

Old 05-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Banned

Why did you sell such a nice machine?
Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 AM

I was kind of getting tired of it. I do that. I get something thinking I'll keep it forever and then four or five years later I'm tired of it. Plus, it enjoyed life as a strictly weekend toy, because I had an assigned car from work to commute and drive around on my off time, but that went away last year and I needed something for a primary car that I could use all around for commute, travel, errands, Home Depot runs, etc that was efficient yet different from the crowd. I thought about holding on to it and heavily financing the HHR, but heavily financing anything when there is an option not to goes against my fiscal conservative upbringing (frugality instilled by parents who grew up in the 1930's). Plus, 4th gen Vettes still have a long time to go before the value goes on the increase. The mileage was getting closer to 50,000 on it (pics are from 2004) and if I was going to move it, it made sense to do it before 50K, as after 50K the value usually takes a further hit.

All that said, sometimes I do miss it a bit, though.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:01 AM

I know what you mean...

we took the 69 Roadrunner 440-6pack out of storage a couple weeks ago.
everywhere we go, people say "I used to have a 68" or "a friend of mine used to have a 69 w/a 383"

we dont want to be one of those people who "used to" own one....so we keep it.

I cant see this car ever getting more than 12 mpg...I think its closer to 7, the way I drive it!

440 cubic inches
3600 lbs
3x2 bbl carburators
premium fuel

not much different than our Pro Street S-10

355 inches
Demon 850 carb
100 octane race fuel
measures fuel in Gallons per Mile(4).

that is one cool looking 'Vette with the lipstick red interior.

I bought my HHR for its mileage. My 94 Lincoln Mark VIII is now Brenda's daily driver since she only commutes 15 miles a day as opposed to my 130 miles a day. she's still getting 19.5 mpg around town in it...it's a great car...

but I love my HHR...especially with fuel prices.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
that is one cool looking 'Vette with the lipstick red interior.
OMG no, please... it was called Torch Red. Lol, lipstick red makes it sound like a chick car

Here's the gig, though. IF fuel prices EVER come down and level off, then I'm going to score myself a used 6th gen Vette (2005 model yr +), it will be white w/ red leather but this time a Coupe, no more convertibles-- rather have a coupe.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

That was a clean 'vette. My parents have a '95 Coupe, auto, red-on-red that we picked up while I was working at Carmax. Only has 61,000 on it now and I used my employee discount to pick it up for wholesale cost. Great car. They keep talking like they'll get a newer one in a few years because they're nervous about driving a 13-year-old car around the country, so I'll probably take it off their hands and send the LT1 out to Mr. Rippie for a few mods...
Old 05-25-2008, 09:06 AM

The LT1 Vettes are real sleepers, performance wise speaking, in today's car scene. So many people classify them with the 80's due to the body style and automatically dismiss them as slow. NOT! The reason the avg mpg display is showing 16mpg in that pic is because I couldn't keep my foot out of it. Driven normally 18mpg was more the average in town. But I loved the way that car would press you back in the seat when you put your foot into it. One thing about the convertible C4's though-- you can't carry jack squat in them. With a coupe, you can actually carry a fair amount of stuff in the back in the hatch area.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 AM

My 07 C6 gets 28 to 29 highway mpg.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 PM

there is no way i could sell our 68!! (like the wife would let me!)
I measure it more in smiles per miles than mpg!!
it puts a huge grin on my face running it through the gears and hearing the 327 rumble through the sidepipes!! and the looks and reactions from people as we cruise by usually the young kids pointing and yelling WOW LOOK AT THAT!! :] I dont smoke crack or drink so i guess the 5 dollars a gallon for my toys is my vice!! SO BE IT!!

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 05-27-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Reduced pic size
Old 05-30-2008, 02:03 PM

68 vette looks smokin,,, the white vette lost a lot of that luster

Quick Reply: For a moment, I missed my Vette today.