The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

My craptastic weekend (damaged the tailgate)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 AM

My craptastic weekend (damaged the tailgate)

I play hockey on Sunday nights in a roller hockey league. Normally our games are in sometime between 4:30 and 9:00 but last nights game started at 11:10, needless to say I was pretty tired when I got home at 12:30. I usually back my car into the garage so before I put it in I stopped in the driveway and took my bag and sticks out of the back. Not thinking straight I got back into the car and proceeded to put it in the garage. next thing that I heard was the sound of my tailgate running into my ladder that was on a low hanging rafter. I pulled forward as soon as I realized what I had done but it was too late, The lip on the bottom was bent inward and scratched and the passenger side hinge was bent causing the whole tailgate to bind. I had to bend the lip of the tailgate back out with some pliers and a rag just so the thing would shut all the way. So anyway I decided to take it to the body shop this morning on my way in to work to get an estimate. $801 I took the estimate and headed into work since I needed to call my insurance agent before I could get work done. When I got to the office I noticed grease on my floor mat. Turns out that I stepped in something at the body shop Now I have to clean my floor mat and get my tailgate fixed! I figure my day can only get better, if it gets worse I am going home and crawling back into bed.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:46 AM

Sorry to hear about the bad luck weekend, hope that means things will only get better.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 PM

Sorry . Any pics of the damage?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM

My wife did something similiar with her Mazda, but she just forgot to close the hatch before closing the garage door.....
Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 PM

I took some pictures with my crappy camera phone but they are not clear. I will take some pics with my digital camera this evening.

Good news is I got the grease out of my floor mats at lunch with the help of simple green and my carpet machine.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:24 PM

The first dent hurts the most, especially when you do it yourself. Been there, done that. Hope you can get it fixed back to showroom quality.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:28 PM

I wonder if the Wis Dells run made up a trophy for the best. ... ... .. .... ..... dent?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:16 PM

Here ya go folks. Thats right, You are looking at $800 worth of damage. In the last picture you can see how close the rafters are in the back part of the garage, they don't touch but it is probably 1 or 2 inches away when the tailgate is open. I noticed that I damaged my aluminum ladder a little too. It took me a whole day to realize it was messed up since I was so focused on the car. Of course that can just bent back into shape.

Last edited by SindyDix; 08-20-2007 at 06:37 PM. Reason: fixed 3rd image tag
Old 08-20-2007, 07:13 PM

Ouch . Hope you get it back to normal soon.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM

Wow

I backed mine into a power pole that had a 3/4" piece of plywood attached to it, the plywood missed the bumper and went into the tailgate, then pushed into the rear wiper breaking the rear glass, total cost to repair was 950 dollars and that included the rear window...
The rear headrest on the passenger side blocked my view of the pole and that is why i hit it... so i took the rear headrests off.. now I can see everything...

Quick Reply: My craptastic weekend (damaged the tailgate)