The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

My thoughts on recall panic.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by kornellred
All of the complaints about ignition switch failures seem to involve Cobalts - at least the ones I have heard about involving serious crashes and fatalities. And, the testimony from investigators say that the failures occurred after hitting a pothole or a bump at highway speeds. If - and only "if" - this has only happened with Cobalts and not with HHR's, Pontiac G5s and Saturn Ions - then maybe the reason for the failures is not the ignition switch itself, but some condition unique to the Cobalt in the steering column that can impart a force on the switch great enough to move the key cylinder from Run to Accessory. Discovering such a condition would probably be close to impossible, so the ignition switch becomes the scapegoat.
Only time will tell if the ignition switch replacement campaign will eradicate the engine shutdown in vehicles equipped with the ostensibly defective original switches.
The "defective' ignition switch in my 2007 HHR LS has been working just fine for the past 7 years, and I cannot get it to fail by going slightly fast over speed bumps with extra weight hanging along with my key fob (which is as far as I will go with my experiment) from the ignition key.

GM has no choice but to arrange for the wholesale replacement of the allegedly defective ignition switches. In this way, it can escape culpability due to any future litigation in the matter. I feel 100 percent safe driving my HHR.
This ^^^

I have not been able to duplicate the 'failure' in my 08, even with hanging enough weight on the key to risk bending it, and bouncing said weight as hard as I can.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:22 PM

We drove our 06 from the time we bough it new in November 05 until we sold it last year. 7 1/2 years without so much as a hint of a problem with the ignition switch.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
We drove our 06 from the time we bough it new in November 05 until we sold it last year. 7 1/2 years without so much as a hint of a problem with the ignition switch.
My wife bought my 06 LS from me two years ago and neither one of us had the issue either. She got the recall letter last week.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:26 PM

(Decided - on my own - to delete this.) My opinion is no better than anyone else's for the most part. I don't KNOW squat.

Last edited by Blue_SS; 04-12-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Overnight reflection and contemplation...
Old 04-11-2014, 04:22 PM

Heh, it is not mentioned in media frenzy how many of the hundreds of thousands o delta cars dont have issues with the key shutting off, there are a lot of cars in this recall!
Just my 2€ , the CSPAN covered GM CEO hearings and interviews were BRUTAL.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:23 PM

I agree that all manufacturers have defects and recalls. I get that. That in itself does not sway my confidence in a company one way or the other.

What I don't get is that GM was aware of deaths caused by this issue and yet they did nothing but issue a TSB. And this is a 10 year old issue. The good news is that the cover up was "pencil pusher" driven. And now that the "good old boy" management team of GM is gone, Mary Barra has vowed to make it a safety and customer oriented company. It's about time.

GM has to work very hard to break 4 decades of poor quality perception that the public has. Its an uphill battle. Responding to future safty issues before being forced by the government will go a long way toward changing that perception. But even though this issue was caused by the "old GM", in the public's mind, its happening now and current management is to blame.

Originally Posted by kornellred
All of the complaints about ignition switch failures seem to involve Cobalts - at least the ones I have heard about involving serious crashes and fatalities. And, the testimony from investigators say that the failures occurred after hitting a pothole or a bump at highway speeds. If - and only "if" - this has only happened with Cobalts and not with HHR's, Pontiac G5s and Saturn Ions - then maybe the reason for the failures is not the ignition switch itself, but some condition unique to the Cobalt in the steering column that can impart a force on the switch great enough to move the key cylinder from Run to Accessory. Discovering such a condition would probably be close to impossible, so the ignition switch becomes the scapegoat.
Only time will tell if the ignition switch replacement campaign will eradicate the engine shutdown in vehicles equipped with the ostensibly defective original switches.
The "defective' ignition switch in my 2007 HHR LS has been working just fine for the past 7 years, and I cannot get it to fail by going slightly fast over speed bumps with extra weight hanging along with my key fob (which is as far as I will go with my experiment) from the ignition key.

GM has no choice but to arrange for the wholesale replacement of the allegedly defective ignition switches. In this way, it can escape culpability due to any future litigation in the matter. I feel 100 percent safe driving my HHR.
I don't feel 100% safe. And here's why: In warm weather I eat lunch in my car. I put the steering wheel up. Twice when leaving work I started the HHR, the opened the tilt wheel latch to put the wheel down and the wheel slipped out of my hand, the wheel dropped, and the car cut out. Ignition went to the accessory position. At the times this happened I thought "what the heck!". So the problem is very real and the HHR is most certainly affected. It just so happens that no one has died in an HHR (yet).

Later I learned about the TSB. Shortly after when my wife took in in for a warranty issue she asked about it. They read the TSB and told to take everything off the key ring and just use the key.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 PM

Greetings,

We apologize for any frustrations. We are here if you have any questions or concerns about the recall(s). Please contact us via private message if needed. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-15-2014, 06:59 PM

I'm sure lot of these new or old cars should have recalls that NEVER happen or will happen,I'm just thankful its one less thing for me to worry about,and will be fixed.
No car is perfectly made,and if there was a perfect car someone would find a flaw,or supposed better way of doing things.
Don't focus on the little things,cause the door will not open for the big things in life.
If someone's biggest issue is taking your car is to get fixed for free,life must be good.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Deceased

Originally Posted by Nightwalkerhemi
I'm sure lot of these new or old cars should have recalls that NEVER happen or will happen,I'm just thankful its one less thing for me to worry about,and will be fixed.
No car is perfectly made,and if there was a perfect car someone would find a flaw,or supposed better way of doing things.
Don't focus on the little things,cause the door will not open for the big things in life.
If someone's biggest issue is taking your car is to get fixed for free,life must be good.
X2!