The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

"Name that car game"

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 08:26 AM

Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Deceased

Well that could only be the Corvette based 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket F88 Motorama show car you found there nacademus. Maybe there would still be an Oldsmobile division if they'd have built some sexy cars like that more often.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:50 AM

The limbs GM lopped off really made no sense and caused me to lose faith in the company...

Drop Oldsmobile a while back...
Now recently, dropped Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, and Saab?

All while keeping GMC (!?), Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet- (this is just in the United States market)

Pontiac produced reasonably price more performance oriented vehicles that were MORE than rebadges, aside from the G5.
Saturn had reasonably priced vehicles that were drastically different from the norm and sold well, as well as introduced new ideas into the fold as far as appearance and orientation goes.
Hummer, well, they're Hummer.
And Saab,-wow, talk about innovation. Gone.

And Oldsmobile. God forbid you drop the chunk of your company that produced a unique product. I saw tons of Intrigues, Aleros, Auroras, Silhouettes, and Brevadas roaming around, and they didn't look like re-badged ****!

GMC- awesome, rebadged bull**** thats recycled over and over
Buick- used to be performance oriented luxury... maybe they'll come back, but average affordability is iffy on the fun models.
Cadillac- I agree with keeping Cadillac
Chevrolet... don't get me started.

Piss on GM and their CEOs with their golden parachutes. It makes me mad seeing what they USED to make, and seeing what they CURRENTLY make-then hearing people gripe about why they do so poorly. I've been GM all my life. EVERY vehicle I've owned was a GM. My next will likely be a Ford.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:15 PM

That open-wheel silver job looks like an Allard J2......

BTW, that Oldsmobile is one of the rare GM concept vehicles that's in private hands. Sold at auction a few years ago for $2 mil or so I believe.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Deceased

Bingo Krash, you got it, the open wheel job is an Allard J2X.

As to the brand shedding at GM, I can agree with you nacademus, I'd have rather seen Buick go instead of Oldsmobile...but you can't argue with the bean counters.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:16 PM

As long as we're digressing a bit......

Brand engineering has its downside - sameness.
I believe that there are (former - now probably laid off) GM executives that regret all the platform sharing or at least the commonality that existed between the makes. Seems the emphasis was on cost savings perhaps a bit too much. Having the same basic platform structure is fine but if there's no real difference between a Pontiac or a Olds what's the purpose then? You've got to do more than just provide your dealers with product.

If doesn't take much. Heck - back when the first generation Camaros and Firebirds were coming off the line, there was enough of a difference between the two that they each had their fans, For the second generation Mustang and first generation Cougar ('67-'68), Ford Motor did a terrific job of differentiating the two vehicles.

Ford's committed the sameness blunder at times, too.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Deceased

Agreed Marshall, brand engineering and platform sharing has taken a good bit of the uniqueness out of cars since the 60's. But there are exceptions the the rule like our own beloved HHR's, they might be Delta's under the skin, but you'll never mistake one for a Cobalt/G-5.

Now since we haven't had an estate car/station wagon for a while, who knows what the spiffy little number is?
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

Two door wagon,wouldn't that make it a stubby panel??
Old 05-07-2011, 09:34 PM

2 door wagon...
Appears to be the the same platform that spawned the Chevy Chevette (and Pontiac T1000) here in the states. That was truly a world car platform. The split grill puzzles me.
RHD, so I'm guessing maybe Australian car?
.................................................. ............
Later, after some research.....

I can't find this one. Starting to doubt it's a 'T-platform' vehicle.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

European.

Quick Reply: "Name that car game"