The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Nascar

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006 | 10:29 AM

Unlike indy cars, size doesn't matter in Nascar, everycar is weighed with the driver inside.
Old 07-11-2006 | 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
Songman, I was a huge fan of Dale Sr and I was at the Atlanta race when Harvick won his first race after taking over the ride. Very emotional win. Nothing like a bunch of rednecks in a big group hug crying.
I might have liked Harvick better if he hadn't been thrown into the big seat too fast. Maybe he was too young to handle it. Maybe nobody could have filled those shoes. Who knows? Harvick got an attitude for awhile and it turned me against him. He got quiet after that so maybe he is maturing. Dale Jr sorta got crazy for a while too. I'm one of the guys who would like to see Jr in a black Goodwrench Chevrolet one of these days.
Old 07-11-2006 | 01:13 PM

I wouldn't mind if Danika came over the NASCAR. I just hope the media doesn't put her in the spotlight like they have other female drivers who have taken their shot at the sport. I think that's what puts too much pressure on them to perform well.

Of course, I wonder what Robby Gordon will have to say about her coming over to NASCAR.
I agree with you completely on this one...but you know the media will go beserk publisizing it, just like they did when Bill Lester did his first Cup race. Personally, I don't care what color or sex a driver is, as long as they can be competitive and not be out there "in the way".

Wonder what Robby Gordon will say? Robby is ok in my book and from what I understand, he's a great guy when he's not throwing helmets or shoving people in the garage. Just kidding, of course. But how about Richard Petty...who thinks women don't belong in racing at all? C'mon Richard...it's the new millenium and things are different. Wonder if he's even got any women employed at Petty Racing, except maybe in the office.
Old 07-11-2006 | 01:16 PM

Songman, I was a huge fan of Dale Sr and I was at the Atlanta race when Harvick won his first race after taking over the ride. Very emotional win. Nothing like a bunch of rednecks in a big group hug crying.
Wasn't that great? Alot of tears were shed that day, not only by the teams, but the fans as well. It was especially moving to see old Chocolate Myers, that big brute of a gas man in tears. God, I still miss Dale to this date.
Old 07-11-2006 | 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
I'm one of the guys who would like to see Jr in a black Goodwrench Chevrolet one of these days.
I'm totally with you on that one Songman. In numerous interviews, Jr has said he would like to do that...but probably not until near the end of his career...and I can understand that. He's made a name for himself in the #8, like his grandfather did, but if he were ever to leave DEI for some reason, I see him headed to RCR and Richard Childress bringing the #3 Goodwrench Chevrolet back on the track.

Remember, the fall Charlotte race in 2003 when they introduced all the Victory Lap cars as a tribute to Winston Cup champions, prior to the departure of Winston as sponsor of the series? Richard Childress driving that #3 on the track...nothing but tears and cheers that night, even from those who weren't fond of Earnhardt before his death. I can remember that like it was yesterday.

Old 07-11-2006 | 02:02 PM

Today is the first time I have seen this thread so I don't know if ya'll alraedy talked about it in the first 12 pages... But what are your thoughts on Toyota coming into NASCAR?

As far as women drivers, I think it is great. Tammy Jo Kirk is from my hometown. I was hanging out with Geoff Bodine and his team back when Tanya Tucker was a co-sponsor on his car. Bill Doucette, the general manager of Bodine Racing called me one day and asked if I knew her and what my impression of her was because they were thinking of signing her. I told them that when we met we were both around 14. She was a factory racer for Bultaco motorcycles already and had dominated every kind of racing in the Southeast. They signed her for Busch and unfortunately she didn't shine but at least she got a chance. There used to be a woman who drove a Chrysler for a while too but that was 10 years ago, back when Jerry Churchill had the only other Chrysler in the field.

Before I left Nashville, NASCAR apparel had gotten big with hip hop fans because some rapper wore a NASCAR jacket in a video. These kids had no idea what NASCAR was about but they were buying jackets left and right. Some that I knew started finding about about the clothes they were wearing and started becoming real fans. It won't be long before we have a little color in NASCAR again.

As long as the racing stays good, I don't care who is doing the driving. They let Jimmy Spencer ride around out there for years. They should let anybody! haha
Old 07-11-2006 | 02:04 PM

ok, this you can bank on...

1) 2001, Harvick's first year in RCR's main ride, he went from making $150,000 a year driving the #2 AC Delco Busch car. To $450k driving the #29 and the #2. HE also, received basicaly what Dale would have in souvineer sales, that being $10,000,000.00. Yep, thats 10 million. In 2001 alone. He told me he was making $79k a month in interest at that time. So thats when he went truck racing. Too much, too fast, too soon. Just my opinion, he's a great guy, but seems he got all too quick too easy. It could happen to anyone, I suppose.
2)COUNT on Dale Jr. to drive the #3 Budweiser Chevrolet for RCR in the NEAR future.
3) Toyota, and other makes to come are here to stay in NASCAR. Thats what NASCAR wants at this time. Minority drivers. Their belief is that these makes of cars will help in that aspect. PLUS, Toyota, has DEEP pockets, for the time being. Ask Michael Waltrip. To prove this once again, watch for Toyota to win a Truck Championship this year.
Old 07-11-2006 | 02:07 PM

Deb, I'll always says that with all things being equal Dale Earnhardt is the best driver in NASCAR history. And in most cases, even when things were not even he would outdrive everyone. I don't think there will ever be another like him.

I don't really want to see Jr in the #3. I would rather it stay retired. They retire jersey numbers for the greats of other sports. The greatest of NASCAR deserves the same honor. I would like to see Jr in Goodwrench black but with the 8 on the door like his grandfather.
Old 07-11-2006 | 02:12 PM

I loved Dale Earnhardt to death, I'll have to say BEST driver in history, my opinion.... Curtis Turner
Old 07-11-2006 | 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Drazic
I loved Dale Earnhardt to death, I'll have to say BEST driver in history, my opinion.... Curtis Turner
Big E had a lot of Curtis Turner style about him. It is hard to compare legends from different eras. In the music business, people talk about the great Garth Brooks. He doesn't have the talent in his whole body that Merle Haggard has in one finger but he competed in a different time. When Merle did it you didn't have simulataneous gratification all over the world by satellite TV like when Garth did it. And being in the music business myself, I know how they skewed Garth's numbers to make him appear more successful than he really is... But I see what you are saying about Curtis Turner. His accomplishments in his time are oustanding... I'll still stick with Earnhardt though...

Drazic, on a side note: I have a buddy who used to drive show cars for RYR. When Yates sold their show car division to an ad agency in NY they let him go. He is now driving for college basketball and something else. Can't remember. He would love to get back into NASCAR so if you ever need anyone or hear of anyone needing help let me know. He still lives in Charlotte.

Quick Reply: Nascar