The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Nascar

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006 | 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Songman
They let Jimmy Spencer ride around out there for years. They should let anybody! haha
I think NASCAR needs Jimmy Spencer on the track again as well as a few more like him. I'm not a fan of him, but he was Mr Excitement. I just wish he would have landed a few more good shots on Kurt Bush.
Old 07-11-2006 | 02:22 PM

And as far as TOYOTA in NASCAR????

Well....... I'm not a fan of it, but money talks. As already stated, TOYOTA has deep pockets and the big 3 is going to be playing catch up. Not only do they have the money and resources for R&D of the cars, but they are already signing big name drivers with big name sponsors.
Old 07-11-2006 | 02:31 PM

I just hope NASCAR doesn't start changing the rules to help them work their way in. They have done that before to help 'even up' the manufacturers and all they did was end up giving one an unfair advantage over the others.
Old 07-11-2006 | 02:39 PM

So much in the NASCAR world changed after the death of Dale Earnhardt. That had to be the biggest loss that I think that NASCAR will ever have to contend with.

Dale Earnhardt played a very big part of bringing the sport to where it is today. Both Dale & Teresa were instrumental in negotiating the deals that brought us all the apparel, diecast and other items that we can now purchase today. He was not only good on the track...he was good off the track and inspired many young people to pursue their dreams and follow their heart to attain those dreams.

I have mixed feelings about the #3 returning to the track, especially a black one. However, I think enough time has passed since Dale's death and I truly believe that he would not want his car number retired permanently.

As for Kevin Harvick...he was thrown to the wolves being put in Dale's old car. I certainly would not have wanted to take on that challenge, but I think he did remarkably well under the circumstances. Harvick is what he is...and I agree that he has matured a great deal over the last few years. I think people expected way too much out of him in the beginning and the pressure proved to overwhelm him at times.

As for Toyota being in NASCAR...I'm all for it, however, in here we've got some who are ok with it and some who aren't. We'll see how it pans out over the next couple of years, but I think it's going to work out just fine and bring us more competitive racing.
Old 07-11-2006 | 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
I think NASCAR needs Jimmy Spencer on the track again as well as a few more like him. I'm not a fan of him, but he was Mr Excitement. I just wish he would have landed a few more good shots on Kurt Bush.

I like the way you think. But, let's not forget we've got Jeff Gordon up in arms a bit these days.
Old 07-11-2006 | 02:50 PM

Count me in as a #24 and #48 fan. Jeff and Jimmy rock!
Old 07-11-2006 | 03:39 PM

I want to see Ward Burton back. I love to hear him talk. Hope he cuts a deal with Toyota.

Can you imagine what next year would be with Montoya and Patrick driving. MWR with Toyotas and Burton and Spencer back.

OH YEAH. I think that NASCAR should look at NBC's so-called "broadcasters" and the 4.5 minute average between commercials. It ruins it for me.
Old 07-11-2006 | 04:34 PM

I would love to see Ward Burton back...he's cool. Maybe he'll be the 3rd MWR driver with DJ & Mikey. Works for me.

Going to be interesting with F1/IRL drivers coming over. Looks like Maclaren released Montoya today. Will post info on that in separate post.

Don't get me started on NBC commentators. They suck and that's why this is their last year. Good Riddance in my opinion.
Old 07-11-2006 | 04:45 PM

Bye-Bye Benny!!!!
Old 07-11-2006 | 04:48 PM

A couple of Today's Headlines from SceneDaily.com

Rough day after for Kenseth
He got rearended on the way to Indy testing and then he wrecks at the track. :eeks:

Montoya timetable may be stepped up
Released from driving duties effective immediately

NASCAR on TV

Qualifying: Nextel Cup Series
Lenox Industrial Tools 300
Friday, July 14 - 3 p.m. Speed

Qualifying: Busch Series
New England 200
Saturday, July 15 - 11 a.m. Speed

Busch Series New England 200
Saturday, July 15 - 3 p.m. TNT

Craftsman Truck Series O'Reilly 200
Saturday, July 15 - 9 p.m. Speed

Nextel Cup Series Lenox Industrial Tools 300
Sunday, July 16 - 2 p.m. TNT

All times are EST - Time & Channel subject to change

Last edited by courthousedeb; 07-11-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Nascar