The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Nascar

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006 | 04:39 PM

Some of the older veterans have had some good runs lately. Too bad a rookie took mine out on Saturday night. Saw on INC on Speed last night though that he delivered a package to the 41's pits. Also heard that some of his crew left a few parts from the car at their hauler.
Old 10-17-2006 | 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Some of the older veterans have had some good runs lately. Too bad a rookie took mine out on Saturday night. Saw on INC on Speed last night though that he delivered a package to the 41's pits. Also heard that some of his crew left a few parts from the car at their hauler.

Classic
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by courthousedeb
Mark Martin can be an up and down guy. Some days he's happy as a clam...others he's real negative. Good to see him in such a positive frame of mind. And, I love that crazy old man thing...that commercial is a hoot.
I always pull for mark to win.It wwould be great to see him win a championship , he really deserves it , but if he doesnt, he has still had a great career . the commercial wih edwards is great !
Old 10-17-2006 | 07:52 PM

Mark Martin is my sentimental favorite for the championship. Even if he doesn't win it, he's had a great career to be proud of.
Old 10-20-2006 | 01:38 PM

Dale Jarrett #44 UPS in 2007

Thanks to a fellow NASCAR friend, I just checked the UPS racing site and his new number is 44. Here's an image of the car and all the other info. Helmet and uniform are below.

A new team, a new manufacturer and a new car number equate to a fresh new look for UPS Racing in 2007. The upcoming season of competition in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series will be the start of a new chapter in the book of UPS Racing and driver Dale Jarrett.

The #44 UPS Toyota Camry will debut in the Budweiser Shootout in February. The car will break out with a splash with a new paint scheme designed for the 2007 season and UPS's maiden voyage with Michael Waltrip Racing (MWR).

The most obvious change is the new number - #44 - adorning Dale Jarrett's UPS ride. In most cases, a new team means a new number. In this case, the management of MWR wished to create symmetry with its three cars, as Jarrett's teammates will compete with double digit numbers as well. Michael Waltrip will drive the #55 NAPA Camry and Nextel Cup Series rookie contender David Reutimann will drive the #00 car sponsored by Domino's and Burger King.

The similarities between the three MWR cars do not stop with the trio of double-digit numbers. Each car features its own distinctive colors representative of their respective sponsors, but the overall design is shared by the three NASCAR Nextel Cup Toyotas.

Present on the UPS Camry are the everlasting colors of brown, white and gold as well as the now familiar red and orange that have come to be a part of the UPS paint schemes during the course of the last couple NASCAR seasons. The design features lightning bolts that start at the nose of the car, jolt along the passenger and driver sides of the car and continue to the rear quarter panels. The lightning bolts stretch from the inside corner of each headlight sticker and continue beyond the wheel well on both sides of the car. A total of four lightning bolts hug the sides of the UPS Camry - each a different color of gold, red, brown and orange.

The #44 is planted at the forefront of the lightning bolts in the same UPS orange color used in the orange lightning bolt. The result is an eye-catching transition of color that creates the illusion of speed. And speed on the track is just what Dale Jarrett hopes to generate in his #44 UPS Toyota Camry in 2007.

Old 10-23-2006 | 08:32 PM

The car looks good. It's too bad that it is a Toyota:-)I think Sterling had the number 44 way back in the early 90's.
Old 10-23-2006 | 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Grohlinator
The car looks good. It's too bad that it is a Toyota:-)I think Sterling had the number 44 way back in the early 90's.
I know some people are not big on Toyota's in NASCAR...but all things grow and progress....some like it and unfortunately some don't. At first, I wasn't sure I liked it either, but I've come to accept it. It's been good for the Craftsman Truck Series and I believe it will be for Nextel Cup as well.

Terry Labonte drove the 44 from 1979-1986, then Sterling Marlin drove it from 1987-1989. After that a host of drivers piloted the #44 until Kyle Petty started driving it in 1997. He drove it until his son Adam was killed in 2000 and then switched to the 45.

If you would like to see all the drivers who piloted the #44, you can see the info HERE.

For others who would like to see the history of other car numbers, the index for this info at NASCAR.com is HERE. They show the current car #'s and their drivers, but there's a dropdown box where you can select and car # you like. Cool info...thanks for bringing question about car # history to light...just made myself another cool NASCAR bookmark...like I need one.
Old 10-24-2006 | 09:03 PM

Hi all,

I'm back from my final NASCAR road trip for 2006....Martinsville was great, if you never been to a race or to Martinsville all I can say is go see a race here....you are right on top of the track, everything is close to the fans....here are the photos I took (and a few from my Brother Dave)

last time I went to M'ville was in 2000 (was the last time I saw Dale sr race too, best memory from that race was Dale sr asking if that was his son hitting the wall again, then saying if he hits one more thing I'm gonna kick his a$$....Dale jr hit a lot of things that day, including the pace car)

well my review of the race....the day started off not to good weather wise, it was overcast and a mist but nothing seemed to be getting the track wet...then it started to rain about 10:30 or so but still not enough to cause worry track wise, its a small track so drying it would be quick and easy....

not sure if NASCAR did a hurry up start time but the pre-reace stuff seem to come and go before I knew it....and no fly over due to the low ceiling (I guess) although we thought we heard jets over head...maybe they were there but the clouds hide them....

oh yeah, Martinsville is so small every thing is very LOUD...I used sound canceling earbud with hearing protection headphones....my son was using ear plugs and headphone...its that loud....

The race got off to a good start and then the 1st mishap, which did some damage to the Burton Brothers...yeah Ward made his comeback Sunday after a two year vacation ! they both made quick repairs and I believe both ending up a lap down....as the race went on Jeff's motor went south and ended his day a bit to early (he finished in 41st)

Ward had a funny moment when he got the luck-dog, I had switch my scanner to the MRN feed and heard the reports durning a break, the reports wonder out-loud if Ward had a clue on what to do for the luck dog...so I quickly switched to Ward's channel...and he was getting detail instructions on what to do...it was great to see him back btw.

for the most part the 1st half was a lot of green flag racing, then the sun came out and the track changed...bring on the yellow flags and pitting on the oh so tight pit-lane...as the laps ticked down so did the "play it safe" driving, all race long the Bud team preached the big picture and when the 31 went down Tony jr told Jr this is a big points day....but with 20 lap to go, Dale Jr forgot about the big picture and was telling his spotter to tell the 9 to get aggressive and pass the 24 or he would bump the 9 out of the way and he could follow him to the front.......then Jr spun out and the day ending with a 22nd place finish...Jimmy Johnson was hooked up and once he got out front it was game over IMO, Danny Hamlin gave a great effort to pass Jimmy in the final laps, the cheers of his home town fans even drowned out the engin noise. what was great to watch was the Petty team, both Kyle and Bobby LaBonte (10th and 3rd respectively)...great out-of sync pit call by the 43 team to get Bobby to the front....after the race the drivers have to go through the crowd that is leaving the turn 3 & 4 stands, my brother Dave walked into Kyle Petty and his wife, shook his hand telling him it was great to see Team Petty up front, and Kyle's ear to ear grin and "man that was great !" reply was a great way to finish off the day....look out for these guys next year ! (I was bummed out as I was about 20 feet in front of Dave and didn't even see Kyle)

and boy did the point take a turn for the crazy...with Burton falling out of the race and placing 41 the other teams were able to tighen up the over all chase (well Jr didn't, but I'm finally OK with his dumb a$$ move)....here is the points break down...

Matt Kenseth - leader
Kevin Harvick -36
Jimmie Johnson -41
Denny Hamlin -47
Jeff Burton -48
Dale Earnhardt Jr -94
Mark Martin -96
Kasey Kahne -99
Jeff Gordon -141
Kyle Busch -171

(7 of the 10 drivers are in CHEVYS)

bring on Atlanta, this should be a great race and fast too, with qualifying speeds in the mid 190s and 24 degree banking in the turns Atlanta is known as the fastest 1.5 mile track !

best part of Martinsville is its about 2 hrs from my Brother Bill's house, nothing beat home cooking and a warm bed after a long day at the track...

miss ya stubby, I think I could have got ya into this track !
Old 11-27-2006 | 01:15 AM

Old 11-27-2006 | 07:26 PM

Will it Ever come to Staten Island. Too much BS going on.

Quick Reply: Nascar