The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Nascar 2007!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM

Talking Nascar 2007!

It's almost February!!!!

Who's excited for the up-coming NASCAR season??

The Toyota Camry is coming, real excited about that. After the Monte Carlos, the Camry is the good looking one. The Charger is okay but the Fusion is out right ugly. Gonna get worse in '08 when Dodge brings back the Avenger.

The Car Of Tomarrow is coming, Love that rear wing they got. I think it looks good. Can't wait to see it in person when I go to Bristol this year.
Hope it snows again, I wanna have another snowball fight!

ABC steps up and replaces NBC. Benny Parsons will be greatly missed. Bobby Hamilton, too. I don't know about ABC's anchors, they don't seem as witty as FOX or NBC.

Well it seems I'm just rambling on. I guess I'll stop now.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 PM

Can't wait to see what Toyota's got. Game On
Old 01-22-2007, 07:50 PM

Ok, I just read this. The Car of Tomarrow for Chevrolet will be an Impala SS, not the current Monte Carlo SS.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:52 PM

Points change and more in final chase:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Race victories will become more important than ever in 2007 as a result of adjustments to the points system and the Chase for the Nextel Cup format announced Monday by NASCAR.

The adjustments are designed to establish more balance between winning and consistency, but there is a new emphasis on the former.

CHASE ADJUSTMENTS
• 400-point cutoff eliminated
• Top-12 drivers qualify
• Point totals adjusted to 5,000
• Drivers "seeded" by wins
• 10-point bonus for each win

'06 RACE MAXIMUM -- 190
• Race win = 180 points
• Lead a lap = 5 points
• Most laps led = 5 points

'07 RACE MAXIMUM -- 195
• Race win = 185 points
• Lead a lap = 5 points
• Most laps led = 5 points

"The adjustments taken [Monday] put a greater emphasis on winning races," NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France said. "Winning is what this sport is all about. Nobody likes to see drivers content to finish in the top 10. We want our sport -- especially during the Chase -- to be more about winning."

The Chase -- consisting of the season's last 10 races -- will further reflect the importance of racing to win, via a variety of adjustments.

During the format's first three years, the top-10 drivers in points after the 26th race of the season qualified for the Chase; in addition, any other driver outside the top 10 but within 400 points of the standings' leader also was eligible.

Starting this season, the 400-point cutoff is eliminated and the top 12 drivers in the points after Race 26 will qualify for the Chase.

All 12 drivers will have their point totals re-set to 5,000; each will then receive a 10-point bonus for each race victory they had during the first 26 races.

The Chase drivers will be "seeded" to start the Chase based on the number of wins amassed during the regular season.

FRANCE ON CHANGES
Part of the reason NASCAR tweaked its championship format, CEO Brian France said, was because the format lacked a way for "wild-card" teams to qualify for the Chase for the Nextel Cup.

• Complete story, click here

WHAT IF ...
NASCAR's decision to award five more points to the winner of each race had been in effect since the invention of the current points system in 1975, the record book would look quite different.

• Complete story, click here

MESSAGE BOARD
What do you think of the changes to the points system and Chase format NASCAR has announced for 2007?

• Post your thoughts

"I like that the points for each of the now 12 drivers in the Chase will be set at 5,000 with an additional 10 for each race win," said team owner Richard Childress, who had two drivers in the 2006 Chase.

In line with the Chase adjustments, wins throughout the season will be more valuable.

Race winners throughout the 36-race season will now receive 185 points, a five-point increase.

"I'm happy to see NASCAR increase the points for winning a race," Childress said. "It makes winning that much more important. ... After all, winning is what this sport is all about."

Counting the five-point bonuses available for leading at least one lap and leading the most laps, a race winner now can earn a maximum of 195 points, creating a possible maximum of 25 points between first- and second-place finishers.

"Will it help us at the gate? Time will only tell, but if No. 11 and No. 12 are Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jeff Gordon -- or in last year's case two-time series champ Tony Stewart -- obviously the answer is a definite 'yes,' " said Eddie Gossage, president of Texas Motor Speedway. "This is a good move by NASCAR for the speedways hosting the 10 races in the Chase.

"Long term, NASCAR has to make sure that they don't go too far and water down the playoff field like we have seen in other sports. Water cooler talk -- even the debate over whether this is good or not -- is important to the sport."

The 2006 season of Kasey Kahne provides a dramatic illustration of the adjusted Chase format's implications.

Kahne qualified for last year's Chase, but started it in 10th place -- despite having won a series-high five races. Under the new format, Kahne would begin the Chase in first place, with 5,050 points.

"These changes should make the Chase for the championship even more exciting for the race fans and more competitive for the teams," Childress noted.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:56 PM

Allright, I have my flame suit on - Here goes. I am not excited at all about the Car of tomorrow. To me it ruins what a "stock car" was supposed to mean. In the 50's through the 90's the cars on the track resembled what you could go down the the car lot and purchase. With the car of tomorrow, there is no resemblance at all. In my opinion, Nascar should bring back the cars that look and drive like a car off the lot. I know it's been a while since the cars looked and drove anything like what you could buy, but I think the car of tomorrow goes too far. NASCAR needs to change their name to something that describes the cars more accurately. - All right, I'm done now. Can't wait for the Rolex 24 hour race, where the drivers have to turn left AND right.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:59 PM

They have to turn right at Watkins too!
Old 01-22-2007, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by longhorn
In my opinion, Nascar should bring back the cars that look and drive like a car off the lot.
Agrees
Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 PM

Even though it says on the NASCAR.com article that it looks more like the production cars in "window shape" and "headlight angle," I still think it's nothing like the real cars.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:01 PM

wow. I was really expecting to get flamed hard about criticizing the all mighty NASCAR
Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 PM

I like to see how toyotas going to do, I know that Michael Waltrip is driving for them. But no one can bet the most wins in nascar CHEVY!

Quick Reply: Nascar 2007!