The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

National Guard "College First" Program, recruiter & my son

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:02 PM

National Guard "College First" Program, recruiter & my son

Wondering if anyone here is National Guard?

My son, a senior in HS, is talking with a recruiter who is offering the Army National Guard College First program. Involves enlistment with stipend for full time college students, and for now anyway, non-deployment as long as a 3.0 GPA is maintained.

As a father, I have concerns. He was looking at straight college ROTC, Navy and Army... scholarship apps completed, currently waiting.

He is in his fourth year of high school JROTC (Army).

He is 18 and I made it clear to him that I'll support whatever decision he makes.

I also made it clear that he doesn't need the government's dime for college money we have a college fund set aside that has been planned since he was younger that will cover 3/4 of the cost the local state college, and about 1/3 of the cost at larger state college he is looking at.

Mainly had a long talk tonight letting him know we're proud of him whatever he endeavors to achieve by any route, ROTC, ANG college first, regular self-pay college w/o military commitment, as far as college goes. Also stressed the finality of signing on the dotted line for ANG enlistment for College First Program.

I will say that besides the obvious deployment concerns (parent talking here...) I have a concern about one weekend a month drill cutting into college academics. He's a good high school student (3.2 gpa) but starting the college experience both the academicly tougher aspect plus the social/freedom aspect that sometimes distracts freshman, well, throwing weekend drill into that mix freshman year makes maintaining that B avg that is required in the program all the more challenging.

Thanks for listening.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 PM

I am currently a Sergeant in the Ohio Army National Guard. I just looked up the college first no mention of gpa just says up to 2 years of college without deployed/federal mobilization after initial training. the 100% paid college tuition in Ohio(varies per state) covers 100% of public college in the state and 75% of private in state colleges. So the college fund could pick up rest of expenses room and board...And he could get the Montgomery GI Bill plus a kicker on top.
I have been in the National Guard since July 2001 in between my junior and senior year of high school. I just reenlisted this year. Couldn't pass up the benefits of paid tuition, get $860/month threw GI bill due to deployed to iraq for a year, health insureance($81/month), and reenlistment bonus. Plus paid in cash for my HHR from Iraq deployment
Old 12-06-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

I wouldn't do it. I've seen too many guys drop out of college due to the "one weekend a month" training and other deployment issues. Remember, no matter what they tell you, they can and will deploy you at any time for any reason deemed necessary by the Department of Defense or Commander in Chief. You are also essentially signing up to DIE, if necessary, and that's something that's hard to visualize for most 18 year olds.

If your kid wants to go to college and you can afford it, have him go to college first and then go be an officer later on. Better benefits and career opportunities always come when you have the degree.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
You are also essentially signing up to DIE, if necessary, and that's something that's hard to visualize for most 18 year olds.
You know the Gulf War, it actually saved lives of service members due to deployed soldiers not being in personal owned vehicle accidents. And "its not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country"-President Kennedy
Old 12-07-2007, 12:02 AM

I guess I live in one of the lucky states. Here in Nebraska, the VA pays for college, Must be a state college not private, so my kids can go tuition free. But of course the price is, its for 100% disabilit which I am. but my one son is looking into the National Guards.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
I wouldn't do it. I've seen too many guys drop out of college due to the "one weekend a month" training and other deployment issues.
I bet the drop out rate for non military members is higher. And almost all colleges have policies so you are not penalized for being deployed. I do not understand how or why people would drop out of college for monthly drill
Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 AM

25 years military as of January 2008. Did the Guard route back in the early 80's, 13 Bravo. Made the switch to the Air Force back in the late 80's and have not looked back.

I have a number of people in my unit who balance school, civilian jobs and drills. Most of them are working on their Masters. It is sometimes hard for people who don't understand the military culture or way of life to grasp what it means. If anything, military members are more adept to dealing with juggling multiple schedules, issues and whatnot as it is usually a daily task.

As blunt as Crafty sounds, he is essentially right. When joining the service you are saying you will give your life for the country. THANK GOD that the brave men and women of our services have taken this oath

I would not be concerned with the drill weekends. If he is even 1/2 as sharp as you are describing him to be, he will do just fine. The ROTC he has been involved in should have prepared him for situations like this and if he wants to be an officer this will be a good test of his multi tasking skills(not that enlisted can't multi-task but you know what I mean)

Best of Luck

Goose
Old 12-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goose
When joining the service you are saying you will give your life for the country. THANK GOD that the brave men and women of our services have taken this oath
No doubt, and I don't want it to sound like I'm dumping on that oath or the sacrifice, but I've seen a lot of kids sign up for Guard not really realizing what they're signing up for and come to regret it when they realize that it IS a sacrifice. Your son needs to realize that it's not a club like JROTC, it's real war with real sacrifice.

You know the Gulf War, it actually saved lives of service members due to deployed soldiers not being in personal owned vehicle accidents. And "its not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country"-President Kennedy
The Gulf War was pretty much a joke to most reservists who went over there. I know this because I know quite a few reservists who spent nine months in the desert playing cards, drinking beer, and stirring honey pots. It was a war with an extended air campaign and a turkey shoot on the ground. Nothing like the conflicts in Somalia and Iraq.

President Kennedy's quote in that speech was actually intended to encourage young people to further their education and close the knowledge gap in sciences between the Soviet Union and the United States. It was never intended as a recruitment tool for the armed forces.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:11 AM

My daughter's grants were cut in half last year, so she left a good private school for a state college. She's 30 times smarter than I am, and the school just didn't challenge her. She did join the Army ROTC while there for something to do. Well, this past summer she signed on the dotted line. She is now attending College of the Holy Cross on the Army's dime. She loves the school, the challenges, and the military. When she graduates, she owes 6 years in the reserves. I wasn't overjoyed. I reminded her that there are 2 wars going on (don't forget Afghanistan). According to my cousins, it's like Viet Nam. You don't know who is who. My father in law was really mad. I'm just glad my father isn't alive. He fought in WWII and Korea. He was dead set against Viet Nam and would certainly be mad as hell. But, she's a bright girl. I can't stop her, but I sure hope when she gets commissioned that she ends up with an office job. Her boyfriend, who graduated and was commissioned this year heads out for all of his training at Fort Benning in February. When all is done, he will be assigned to an infantry unit in Germany. He says he's ready to fight. That has yet to be determined. I guess I feel similar to Lone Ranger, but we have to let our kids grow up.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:00 AM

Here's a link to the active duty pay scales. http://www.defenselink.mil/militaryp..._basicpay.html. As you can see a brand new 2nd Lt makes about as much as a Staff Sergeant with 8 years in. It sold my son on the Air Force Academy. Talk him in to finishing college before signing on the dotted line. But first, wait to see if either of those Academy appointments come through. If you're lucky, the war will be over before he graduates. I, too, was hoping for that but my son graduates in '09 and it's not looking good!

Quick Reply: National Guard "College First" Program, recruiter & my son