The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

National Guard "College First" Program, recruiter & my son

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:15 AM

I would rather he go regular self-pay full civilian college route, and then if he is still interested after graduation, look into Officer Candidate School in a branch. But he does have his own ideas. I didn't even know he was talking with an ANG recruiter until he told me the other day.

As far as MOS he is interested in Military Intelligence area.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:33 AM

98 or 96 something for that MOS...I can't remember...

Crafty is right...real big difference between the Gulf War and Operation Iraqi Freedom....Guard and Reserve units are involved in some of the heavy frontline fighting so joining the Guard is not the same as it was 20 or 40 years ago....good chance of landing in the sandbox...they are taking all different MOS's and giving them a crash course in the world of being an MP...if you are in the service, you can guard a convoy or a POW

As far as waiting until the war's are over....I think you will be waiting for an awful long time...the fight against bin Ladens thugs and cowards will be going on for a long time...probably for generations

I might sound biased(well yeah I am) ...if he is set on joining the military, have him check out the Air Force...either AD, Guard or Reserve...if he does end up going to Bagram or Baghdad it is only a 4 month tour of duty vs a 15 month one! Something to consider

Goose
Old 12-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Goose
I might sound biased(well yeah I am) ...if he is set on joining the military, have him check out the Air Force...either AD, Guard or Reserve...if he does end up going to Bagram or Baghdad it is only a 4 month tour of duty vs a 15 month one!
Air Force also has better benefits, perks, and takes better care of their troops. For example, in Iraq were I was, the Air Force had cable, sidewalks, laundry mat, coffee shop in their living area. The Army had none of this. I was at LSA Anaconda, Ballad. The Guard is impleting a new deployment were you will be gone for a total of 12 months including mobilization and demobilization process. Along with this they are going to 1 year deployment schedule per 6 years for units. Granted this is happening now but kinks are still getting worked out.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goose
As far as waiting until the war's are over....I think you will be waiting for an awful long time...the fight against bin Ladens thugs and cowards will be going on for a long time...probably for generations
+1

Those guys are dug in, and with the Department of Entitlement's...er, Defense's attitude about "modern warfare techniques", we'll be fighting them forever just to maintain the military-industrial behemoth that has become our "defensive strategy". Iraq will be over in a few years and they will become the post-war Germany of the Mid-East, but the terrorism of the zealots won't stop.

I respect the honor and sacrifice of every soldier, sailor, airman, and Marine, but these days you HAVE to expect that at some point you will be called up to die for your country if you sign up for it.

Good luck getting into the Air Force, Navy, and Coast Guard. They've been exceeding recruitment numbers for years now.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 PM

I agree that the Air Force is the best. But don't think going Air Force will keep you out of Army duty. Troops are being detailed to Army units every day. Don't trust that recruiter either. Verify everything he tells you. Finally, in the Army, if you don't make it in your selected field, you get put in infantry. Doesn't matter how smart you are.